Douglas Skysearcher AEW(K)1

Started by PR19_Kit, October 08, 2013, 04:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on October 21, 2013, 12:40:35 PM
Stay strong Kit - we're coming to rescue you from the clutches of evil Pod Person Kit so you can put bigger wings on the Skysearcher in time for Telford!

Hehehe, no chance this time. The Skysearcher would have already been on the limits of capability of CVA-01 even in standard form.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Not much different from the previous piccie, but it's also available in green.....  ;D

After two coats of airbrushed Xtracolor Sky and one coat of hand brushed Klear it's looking pretty darn smart, to my mind anyway. Next is masking off the entire bottom of the airframe  :banghead: and then apply the EDSG upper colour. Looking at USN EKA-3Bs it looks like the engines will need a fair amount of natural metal, white and red as well, although I may dispense with the red as I can't find evidence of the FAA using such warnings.

I've also done lots of work for the decals tonight and a paper print of them looks great taped on to the airframe.  ;D

I found a THIRTY NINE serial number 'dead band' just in the right place, so it's going to be XV997 and Squadron code 045.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Gorgeous. Such a lovely aeroplane already, and it can only get FAA better !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

I've spent all DAY masking up the Whale for the upper EDSG colour. The two engines and all the lumps and bumps made it a REAL pain, and I had hoped to get some paint on it tonight but not now.  :banghead:

I got through miles of Tamiya tape so a few rolls of that are going to be on my Telford shopping list!

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

With the bottom masked off it really looks like a flying boat now!  ;D And not bad at all. Might be an idea for another whif. Just relocate the engine pods to the wing roots or shoulders (An-72/74-style) and it'd be good to go!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

That's the radome bulge that's causing that shape, but it does look a bit 'boat-ish' doesn't it?  ;D

It's a good idea too, it'd look like a mini-Seamaster in USN colours. I'd think seriously about dong that except I'd never be able to afford another Hasegawa Skywarrior! But it occurs to me that I DO have a Rareplanes vacform in The Loft. Hmmmmm.....

The ESDG paint coat is drying as a write, this time with a coat of Klear already applied.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I just stripped off a veritable MOUNTAIN of masking tape with the result below.

I'm pretty pleased with it, that awful curve in the demarcation just forward of the fin worked pretty well and there's only a few places need touching up. Some metallic areas on the engines need doing now and after that it's time for the decals, one of my favourite bits.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Logan Hartke

I like it!  That's going to look great with FAA markings.

Cheers,

Logan

PR19_Kit

Thank you Logan. You should see the big fin marking with the Bee in the middle, it's awesome.  ;D

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Would have been easier spraying the darker colour, masking that and then spraying the Sky. 

I always do the top first.  Works for me and sod the colour police.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

jsport

Captain Canada

OK now that I see it I like it ! I was thinking like a WWII era scheme.....this looks right tho !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 25, 2013, 04:45:40 PM
Would have been easier spraying the darker colour, masking that and then spraying the Sky. 

I always do the top first.  Works for me and sod the colour police.

I did a test spray before I primed it, but that Xtracolor Sky is VERY thin and took 3 coats to cover the ESDG, but the other way round worked OK. The engines would have been a pig to mask whichever way up I did it.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Coming on well Kit. Like you putting the transfers on is one of my fav parts of the process as well. Brings the whole project to life
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Yes, that is looking very good Kit.  It's funny how certain camos seem to enhance various aircraft, most times for the better.  Your scheme would also work with the RCN colours too I think, the light grey instead of the sky ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike