Sea Dart question.

Started by Mr.Creak, October 08, 2013, 05:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Creak

I've just bought a very nice pair of Sea Darts in 72 scale from Fleetscale.
But...
They look like this:

Whereas most photos show them looking like this:

So are the fins on the booster some sort of "flip-out" mechanism and (more than double) their length on launch 1, or are/ were there variants with longer booster fins?
Anyone know?

1 Looks pretty unlikely given the apparent thickness of those fins.
What if... I had a brain?

Weaver

Yes, the fins do indeed "flick out". They have a pivot at their lower leading edge, the lower part of the fin being thicker and more rigid to support it:

You can see the mechanism really clearly in this pic:

I'm not sure whether the orange rods in the pics are "actuators" of some kind or are just there to stop the fin from moving, since this is an inert handling round (you can tell by the red colour). They don't seem to be there on live (white) rounds, but I can't find a really clear pic. My impression was always that the fins were deployed by inertia during the violent launch acceleration, but again, a quick web search can't confirm this definitively.

Jusr had a look at Fleet Scale's site again, and the Sea Darts don't look over-accurate, having some very deep lines around the middle and a very vague representation of the booster fins.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mr.Creak

Ah, thanks.
They "flip back" rather than "out".
It's so obvious now.

Agreed, the Fleetscale ones aren't perfect, but they're recognisably Sea Darts (or Mobile Land Darts by the time I've finished with them).
What if... I had a brain?

Captain Canada

Cool pics guys ! I guess that answers that question !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

The second picture appears to be a practice round.

My understanding is that Sea Dart utilises the fins on the booster for rough course corrections during the boost phase.   While the ones on the practice round appear cropped, in this image of an operational missile launch, it is possible to see the longer fins:

This practice round appears to have longer fins:

I would suggest that perhaps the fins are either flip out or they changed during the life of the missile.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Rickshaw: in your launch pic, you can see the fins in the folded-forwards position on the round that's still on the launcher. They deploy REALLY fast: I've only ever seen one pic that managed to capture them half-deployed, but I can't find it on the web.

The fins on the booster don't for steering as far as I'm aware, nor did they change design over the life of the missile.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Wow....2 more awesome pics for the collection ! The one almost looks like a painting...and the other has a Sea King in it !

:wub:

So the flip-out fins on the booster were just for stability ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Whoever took that launch piccie was REALLY quick on the shutter button! Awesome nonetheless.

Visually there doesn't seem to be any scope for steering those booster fins in Weaver's close-up piccie, it looks as if the mounting is bolted securely to the big ring around the rocket exhaust.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 08, 2013, 07:58:08 PM
Wow....2 more awesome pics for the collection ! The one almost looks like a painting...and the other has a Sea King in it !

:wub:

So the flip-out fins on the booster were just for stability ?

I think it actually is a painting, but it's based closely on several real pics, and as far as I can tell, it's very accurate. Lovely piece of work..... :bow:

Yes, I think the missile was essentially ballistic until booster separation. That wasn't very far mind you: the booster was there to get it up to ramjet ignition speed ASAP rather than adding range, so it burnt very hard and very fast. That minimum engagement range was one of the system's Achilles' heels if you were depending on it for your sole AA defence (which it was never designed to be, of course).

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 08, 2013, 11:47:36 PM
Whoever took that launch piccie was REALLY quick on the shutter button! Awesome nonetheless.

Visually there doesn't seem to be any scope for steering those booster fins in Weaver's close-up piccie, it looks as if the mounting is bolted securely to the big ring around the rocket exhaust.

These videos show you just how quick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKgQ-qwcs-s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ3-2kwPZxQ

And this is what happens when it goes wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m29eTQTm0Ho

:blink: :blink: :blink:

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

That misfire looked pretty darn scary!  :o

And I was standing right alongside Edinburgh's Sea Dart launcher only a month or so ago, the day before she finally paid-off. I wondered what the little right angled pipes were sticking out of the deck just aft of the Mk 8 turret were for. Now I know, they squirted cooling water all over the deck below the Sea Darts!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

What surprised me was the lack of alarm in the sound track.  Very professional (or it was a more common event than we realise! ;D ).

Those boosters put out a fair old whack of thrust it seems.  I'd be worried about an explosion from the fuel if a misfire occurs.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on October 09, 2013, 04:54:35 PM
What surprised me was the lack of alarm in the sound track.  Very professional (or it was a more common event than we realise! ;D ).

British old boy! Stiff upper lip and all that! Running around and getting excitable is for the Yanks: they do it so much better than us..... ;) ;D

(Actually, I think you can hear someone say "shiiiit" quietly in the background, so it must have been really quite serious...)

- Indiana Jones

Logan Hartke

Yeah, that looked very nasty.  On the topic of "getting excitable", I'm a bit odd in that I don't use profanity in my day-to-day speech.  I joke with my friends that it's because that way, I'll have something to use when things go REALLY wrong.  There are some people that you wouldn't know whether they spilled some water on their shirt or they just stumbled upon a dead body since certain words are so ubiquitous in their speech.  Me, however, you'll know things just got really bad when you hear words you've never heard me utter before.

Cheers,

Logan

Weaver

That's fair comment actually Logan. Personally, I find my speech adapts to those around me in all sorts of ways, not just swearing. I've got good friends who "eff and blind" if they stub their toe and others who you might just get a "damn" out of if faced with WWIII..... ;D

- Indiana Jones