An Italian 190

Started by NARSES2, October 14, 2013, 08:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

After the Italians were forced out of Libya by combined Anglo/French action in early 1941 King Umberto lead a coup d'état against the Government of Mussolini. Forewarned however by a spy in the King's entourage this was quite easily foiled. However the excuse it presented enabled Mussolini to strengthen his hold on the Italian government and he stamped his own personal mark even farther on the state and on its armed forces. He even went so far as to modify both the national flag and markings used by the nation's military.

However he couldn't do much to change an industrial setup that was geared more towards war in the 30's then in the 40's and even more towards colonial war rather than warfare against other major powers. Thus as the war progressed Italy came more and more to rely on equipment provided by their German allies.

Thus by early 1944 Italian forces in the Eastern Mediterranean and on the southern Turkish front were operating more equipment of German then Italian origin. A lot of this was old and second hand of course but some, like the Fw 190 was relatively new.  This particular example had been issued to the 15th Stormo Assaulto and was based on the then Italian island of Rhodes. The 15th had exchanged CR 42's for the Fw 190 and perhaps that explains the rather long working up period they required before they became fully operational in the autumn of 1944. By then Anglo/French forces were well into Southern Turkey and it was decided that the 15th should be used in trying to interdict the coastal traffic that was supporting this advance. Whilst most of the 15th's aircraft were used in the low level bombing role some of their aircraft were configured for torpedo strike.

Thus here we have an Fw 190 F8/R14 of the 15th Stormo Assaulto, Italian AF based on Rhodes in late 1944/early 1945, just before the island fell. (An action that was to have far reaching consequences on the conduct of the European War). Kit was the Revell one, which to be honest was a little disappointing. Yes it goes together very well but there was a large amount of flash for a kit which was bought when it first came out. Whilst most was not a problem some, especially around the armoured cowl ring was a p.i.a. and affected the fit somewhat. Kit is built straight from the box and I finished it with Xtracrylic RLM 76 undersides and Lifecolor Italian underside grey topsides , reasoning that this would have been an effective camouflage at the altitudes the aircraft would be operating at and given that it would be being used in seas cluttered by small, and not so small islands. Markings are from the ever useful Sky sheets, I think I used bits from the M.C. 200 and CR42 sheets. Overall an enjoyable project despite the flash problem and one that looks quite smart and stylish, as any self-respecting Italian should.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Excellent job Chris, and entirely plausible back story too.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Uh, that's a pretty one! I thought Italian Bf 109s look good, but this is VERY nice - esp. with the torpedo!  :wub:

Captain Canada

Beauty ! Love the colour and the big torpedoe. That paint makes it look modern, like and F-190S ;-)

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Army of One

Great job Chris.....!!! Lovely work  :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Hotte

Nice work !
Great idea !

Hotte

Gondor

Why does it look as if the tail wheel is up in the air?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

lancer

That is one seriously sweet 190...It's actually nice to see one in non Luftwaffe markings and colours!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on October 14, 2013, 10:54:20 AM

Gondor

Because it IS up in the air...?  :rolleyes: Does it really matter here?

dumaniac

nice job - the grey is actually quite pleasant and peaceful

Librarian

Quote from: dumaniac on October 15, 2013, 01:35:06 AM
nice job - the grey is actually quite pleasant and peaceful

Perfect scheme for a torp attacker, very pleasant. Italian markings have always been a favourite of mine.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 14, 2013, 11:44:40 PM
Quote from: Gondor on October 14, 2013, 10:54:20 AM

Gondor

Because it IS up in the air...?  :rolleyes: Does it really matter here?

Yes it is. Revell obviously got some of their measurements very slightly out and as the torp was the last thing I added I didn't notice until I put her down for a photo  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Didn't the real torp carrying Fw190s have an extra tall tailwheel?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

Yes they did.......any chance of shortening the rear mount and maybe lengthening the front if need be...??? Seemed an option on a lot of torpedo bombers.......still love the finish of the kit..... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Army of One on October 15, 2013, 02:38:11 PM
...still love the finish of the kit..... :thumbsup:

Me too. It looks so right and natural, I am tempted to replicate it  :wacko:

Such a great idea!  :thumbsup: