Micro-Mir

Started by Weaver, October 15, 2013, 12:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beermonster58

Very tempted by the recently announced JU-388. The rivet counters on Britmodeller (where else!) have started rubbishing the 388 already which ,more or less guarantees I'd buy it. Of course, it'll depend on price. I was also tempted by the recent XB-51 until I saw what it cost.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 21, 2023, 02:07:24 PM1/35? That's on the big side, almost big enough for radio and a motor etc..............

Bluebird K7 next?

Someone has asked me to print them the parts for this https://www.printables.com/model/203993-bluebird-k7-hydroplane-model-kit happily let you know how it comes out. Intrigued as to how you'll add long span wings to it
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

PR19_Kit

What a fabulous looking boat! But why 1/28? It's a rather odd scale.

Perhaps move the sponsons further out on longer struts?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 23, 2023, 12:47:20 AMWhat a fabulous looking boat! But why 1/28? It's a rather odd scale.

Not a clue - probably had an electric motor and battery in mind and scaled to fit. Can easily print smaller by %
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Beermonster58

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on November 23, 2023, 01:19:28 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 23, 2023, 12:47:20 AMWhat a fabulous looking boat! But why 1/28? It's a rather odd scale.

Not a clue - probably had an electric motor and battery in mind and scaled to fit. Can easily print smaller by %
Interesting point. I think that's how 1/35 became the most widely used Armour/AFV scale. If I recall, Tamiya was the pioneer in this scale and, their first model was produced at a time when remote control toys/models were all the rage. So, it had to accomodate a battery box and, all the other associated gubbins. The model turned out to be 1/35 scale which. was the smallest practical scale which could accomodate all the working bits.
The rest, as they say, is history! ;D
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

frank2056

I'm building the Ukrainian sea drone right now. For a Mikro-Mir kit, it fits well. Also for a Mikro-Mir kit, its missing parts that are on the instructions but nowhere on the plastic or PE sheets. Luckily, there's quite a bit of variation between the drones, so whiffing is not only realistic, but required.

frank2056

I just got the Mikro-Mir 1/35 Crusader K6 jet speedboat from Plastic Models store in Ukraine. I was pleased to see that it contains a fairly well detailed de Havilland Ghost jet engine, rather than just the tube that's shown on the pictures. The box is huge, though and could easily hold four copies of the kit. In fact, PM Models used it to hold some of the other kits I ordered, with plenty of room left for candies...

NARSES2

Quote from: frank2056 on December 04, 2023, 05:45:46 PMThe box is huge, though and could easily hold four copies of the kit. In fact, PM Models used it to hold some of the other kits I ordered, with plenty of room left for candies...

The "one size fits all" approach seems to be the way a lot of manufacturers are going.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 link=msg=102Well, it3720 date=1701769223
Quote from: frank2056 on December 04, 2023, 05:45:46 PMThe box is huge, though and could easily hold four copies of the kit. In fact, PM Models used it to hold some of the other kits I ordered, with plenty of room left for candies...

The "one size fits all" approach seems to be the way a lot of manufacturers are going.

Well, it makes stacking the shelves easier...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on December 05, 2023, 02:32:28 AM

Hardly good from a use of resources point of view though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 05, 2023, 04:45:39 AM
Quote from: zenrat on December 05, 2023, 02:32:28 AM

Hardly good from a use of resources point of view though.

Although better than the infamous box scale.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

True.

Airfix rather kicked off the 'standard size box' idea in the 70s when they only made 3-4 sizes for all their range. That resulted in the box for their Banshee being able to take TWO of the kits easily!

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

It probably comes down to bulk purchasing being cheaper.

Yes, I realise that they could bulk order different sizes of boxes.

However, their supplier may reduce the cost per unit sufficiently, for larger orders of any given size box, that it's more economically viable to only purchase one box size (maybe two).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Hobbes

Standard size boxes save money on several fronts:
1. box production: the larger the production run, the lower the unit cost
2. box filling: if the boxes are packed by a machine, every time the box size changes you have to adjust the machine. Fewer size changes means less downtime
3. shipping: when all the boxes are the same size, it's easier to fill shipping cartons with boxes. No playing Tetris to fill a box, just stack 'em up.

NARSES2

All true Harro and economy of scale will always triumph in the end. However I do wonder if the manufacturers ponder on the fact that if you open a massive box only to find a small kit (or whatever) rattling around inside then some people will think they've been conned ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.