Micro-Mir

Started by Weaver, October 15, 2013, 12:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Quote from: Nick on November 02, 2020, 06:21:23 AM
Reading from Wikipedia, the AW52 was only a half scale version. The planned airliner / bomber version was to be twice the size. Sounds like it's ideal for a Scale-o-rama build with a smaller canopy and roundels.
Or keep it 1/72nd scale  and put some fireflash missiles on it, or  some  rockets  under the wings.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Reading from Wikipedia, the AW52 was only a half scale version. The planned airliner / bomber version was to be twice the size. Sounds like it's ideal for a Scale-o-rama build with a smaller canopy and roundels.

Exactly, which is why I suggested it earlier.

An airliner version would be good, the projected AW55, but where the devil would you put the windows? Maybe all along the leading edge?

That's what concerns me about the current rash of 'All Wing' airliner projects, I bet there'd be a lot of initial resistance from the pax, even though most of them don't, and can't, look out of the windows in the current aircraft.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Here's the full scale bomber, the AW.56:
http://duhraviationart.com/index.php/portfolio/armstrong-whitworth-aw-56/

The artwork is from the cover of the second volume of BSP.2.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

I like the look of that  AW.56 , it would make a  perfect addition to my  alternative RAF  :thumbsup:

chrisonord

I have seen a couple of pictures of this on Facebook, but they  don't show as much  detail  and a comparison as to how big the  thing  would have been.

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 02, 2020, 09:01:59 AM

An airliner version would be good, the projected AW55, but where the devil would you put the windows? Maybe all along the leading edge?

That's what concerns me about the current rash of 'All Wing' airliner projects, I bet there'd be a lot of initial resistance from the pax, even though most of them don't, and can't, look out of the windows in the current aircraft.

That's been cited as one of the stumbling blocks in the real projects (both Boeing and Airbus have looked at it) along with emergency evacuation: not much wall space for doors as well as windows. Floor hatches would be blocked if the unercarriage collapsed, and roof hatches present a more convoluted route to safety than conventional side-doors.

My idea for the windows is to make the areas next to them communal rather than have windows 'belong' to a particular seat. Cabin staff could keep an eye out to make sure nobody hogs them for too long.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on November 07, 2020, 07:52:03 PM

That's been cited as one of the stumbling blocks in the real projects (both Boeing and Airbus have looked at it) along with emergency evacuation: not much wall space for doors as well as windows. Floor hatches would be blocked if the unercarriage collapsed, and roof hatches present a more convoluted route to safety than conventional side-doors.

My idea for the windows is to make the areas next to them communal rather than have windows 'belong' to a particular seat. Cabin staff could keep an eye out to make sure nobody hogs them for too long.

Bang seats.  One for every passenger.  Imagine the sight as 300 passengers eject in a wave synchronised from rear to front.  Glorious.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on November 08, 2020, 03:22:44 AM

Bang seats.  One for every passenger.  Imagine the sight as 300 passengers eject in a wave synchronised from rear to front.  Glorious.

And the No Frills airlines, like Spirit and Ryan Air, would charge extra for parachutes.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Amtrak do that for their Sightseer Lounge cars, the ones with the windows that go right over your head.

The Steward comes by and reminds you that you're only meant to use each seat for 30 mins or so. But for some reason Brits get a 'no limits' pass as every time I answered with an 'Oh sorry, I'll head on back to my seat' they always said 'Oh, that's OK for you Sir, stay as long as you like'.

RESULT!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

As for the KX-03, shrinking it down to 1/350th smacks a bit of 'fit the box' all over again. :(

If it's going to be a model of a BIG aeroplane, make it a BIG kit!

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on November 08, 2020, 03:22:44 AM

Messers Martin and Baker would no doubt be happy to develop a ripple ejection system for this purpose..............a sort of Mexican Wave of seats hurtling into the air; no doubt with a better quality of parachute for those in First or Business Class.  The mechanics of it would be "interesting", as they'd have to shoot upwards in a fan-like way to prevent collisions between seats in mid air. 

Just imagine someone pressing the wrong button whilst waiting at the end of one of  Heathrow's runways............passengers landing everywhere from Hillingdon to Harringay, depending on wind speed.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 08, 2020, 06:20:40 AM
As for the KX-03, shrinking it down to 1/350th smacks a bit of 'fit the box' all over again. :(

If it's going to be a model of a BIG aeroplane, make it a BIG kit!

Winspan is 18", a 1/144 kit would have a wingspan of 1.25 m/49".  ;D

Doing it that size would require the A-Monster or HPH approach using GRP
for the fuselage and wings with injection moulding or resin for the smaller
parts all of which equals many $£€.

1/350th makes it perfgect to go with ship models.

PR19_Kit

Yeah, 49" sounds about right. 98" sounds even better.... ;D ;D ;D

I've built flying models a LOT smaller than that........

Regards
Kit

elmayerle

Exactly, which is why I suggested it earlier.

Shades of the proposed airliner version of the original Norhtrop wing.  That primarily had windows in the leading edge though ISTR a bubble canopy over the lounge in the "stinger".
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin