Micro-Mir

Started by Weaver, October 15, 2013, 12:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 10, 2020, 10:16:57 AM
But what advantage do 3D decals have over normal ones?  :-\

AFAIK RAF roundels, for instance, have always been painted flat on the wings.

I think the roundels and any markings would be conventional decals?  The 3D ones are for details such as instrument panels, seat belts etc.  Anything that's flat but not quite.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: Freightdog862 on December 10, 2020, 09:17:37 AM
They are made by Witchcraft I tell you! Or 3D printing, its the same to me. I think they are the first mainstream kt to include them, quite forward thinking of them.

Colin

I'm with you Colin.  I've been looking at some 3D printed figures on Etsy.  I saw some at Telford a few years ago and they were good, now they look great.  Another few years and they'll be rivalling injection moulding I'm guessing.  And the price is very good through Etsy.

I'd get yourself a nightclass at Hogwarts and learn the mystic arts, it's the future!  ;)
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Ah, right. That makes some sense I guess.

It occurs to me that I've actually used some stuff like that. The louvres on the bonnet of the 1/24 RW Caterham Seven that I built for my brother last year were resin sprayed onto a decal film. They came from a US company called Archer IIRC and they worked amazingly well.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

kitbasher

I stand corrected hadn't seen an oblique view of a set before and the relief effect is clearly discernible.
What scale is the F-105 set, please?
While they are very clever and could be the death knell for at least some etched detailing sets, I must say the relief effect will diminish at smaller scales to the point of why bother.
1/32 and 1/24 models (thinking from an aircraft perspective), possibly 1/48 but Not yet convinced they'd be worth using on a 1/72 model.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

frank2056

Quote from: Mossie

I'm with you Colin.  I've been looking at some 3D printed figures on Etsy.  I saw some at Telford a few years ago and they were good, now they look great.  Another few years and they'll be rivalling injection moulding I'm guessing.  And the price is very good through Etsy.

There are several companies producing 1/700 and 1/350 3D printed figures and they're great; you can even get them on Shapeways. Larger scale figures are even easier to produce, with great results. ReedOak in France 3D scans real people and 3D prints them in the common scales, from 1/144 to 1/35

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitbasher

D'oh!

Saw pic on my phone and didn't see all of the image.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 10, 2020, 10:16:57 AM
But what advantage do 3D decals have over normal ones?...

Well, its one more D isn't it?  It's not 2D.  You see most blokes, you know, will be decaling at two...Where can you go from there? Where?
These go to three.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I'll wait till 4D decals come out I reckon. Why only go half way......?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

It does make me wonder why they go to so much effort to  make these decals realistic, only to  hide them underneath a canopy  never to be seen again, as the whole point of having such amazing items  is to be able to see them. I'm probably missing something I  know.  :-X
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Looking at Hannant's new arrivals the other day and they had some 3D printed 1/72 WWII seatbelts. Weren't a bad price (£5.99 off the top of my head) and looked quite nice. Probably easier to use than etched ? Anyway next time I put an order in for something I might give a set a try.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: chrisonord on December 11, 2020, 04:48:22 AM
It does make me wonder why they go to so much effort to  make these decals realistic, only to  hide them underneath a canopy  never to be seen again, as the whole point of having such amazing items  is to be able to see them. I'm probably missing something I  know.  :-X
Chris

Depending on the model, bigger scale kits allow more of the cockpit to be seen.  Which is why I usually blank out the cockpit canopies on 1/72 and smaller scales.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

Quote from: chrisonord on December 11, 2020, 04:48:22 AM
Chris

The majority of the folks who build with this kind of stuff pose the canopies open,
so you can see the bits.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 11, 2020, 04:21:21 AM
I'll wait till 4D decals come out I reckon. Why only go half way......?  ;)

I'd say that the stencil decals for modern military aircraft are 4D as it takes so bloody long to apply them all.
;D ;D