"Massive cuts take toll on police forces"

Started by Mike Wren, October 16, 2013, 08:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wren

"Massive cuts take toll on police forces".

Cambridgeshire Constabulary Morris J2 & Hampshire Constabulary Ford Cortina Mk III back on frontline policing duties...

A bit of fun with 1/43 scale Oxford & Corgi diecasts with my Emergency43 decals, 2D Models lightbars & bits and pieces.

I put these on the stand at telford last year and just remembered I probably never posted pics here, I think it took me 6 months to get round to taking them in the first place

more pics can be found on my Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/50769697@N02/

Ifor

Mike, they look great! If ever you decide to sell them would you give me first option? I've just retired from there.

PR19_Kit

A J2 wouldn't be much use as a chase vehicle if they wanted to do so. I had to test one of them in the 60s and it wouldn't even reach 60 mph with a tailwind!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Nice work ! I especially like the Cortina....with the proper background that would look like the real thing !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Neee-Naww!  They look good Mike, I wonder what modern cars would look like in duck egg blue and white???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mike Wren

thanks chaps  :wub:

Ifor, they're not for sale but if you're after police modelling bits & pieces you should look at my website...  :thumbsup:

Mossie, yes a Focus, Astra or Octavia in blue/white panda scheme would look good

Father Ennis

Those are great looking models you've done. But, it just seems "wrong" not to see Ford Crown Vic's  in black and white.    Besides, those are just strange colors for police cars. Of course, I still have trouble with the few Camero and Mustang highway interceptors the Oklahoma Highway Patrol has ,not to mention the SUV's they use,too. 

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Father Ennis on October 19, 2013, 08:59:05 PM
    Besides, those are just strange colors for police cars. 

But they're normal for UK Police cars, at least they were in the period that Mike modelled them anyway.

Nowadays we have varied versions of the 'Blue/Yellow Battenburg Cake' patterns on the side of them, depending on which part of the country you're in.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Army of One

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2013, 12:38:56 AM
Quote from: Father Ennis on October 19, 2013, 08:59:05 PM
    Besides, those are just strange colors for police cars. 

But they're normal for UK Police cars, at least they were in the period that Mike modelled them anyway.

Nowadays we have varied versions of the 'Blue/Yellow Battenburg Cake' patterns on the side of them, depending on which part of the country you're in.

Hey hey hey......don't forget the red of the DPG.....!!! Apparently an unofficial moto is 'When seconds count we're minutes away.....!!!'
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Father Ennis

Guys, what is a Battenburg cake pattern and who is the DPG ?   BTW, I like those brightly colored police vehicles. Around here most local police departments have gone to solid color vehicles while the Oklahoma Highway Patrol still use their traditional black and whites. Last time I went to a model contest,one of the best cars was an OHP cruiser. When it won an award a guy on crutches went up to claim his prize. Turned out he was a trooper and while he was off recovering,he had built a model of his patrol car !!! 

PR19_Kit

This is Battenburg Cake, and very tasty it is too.  ;D

You can see why that's what we call the pattern on our cop cars.

And Hank, our 'Army of One', IS the DPG himself!  ;D

Regards
Kit

Army of One

As Kit states.....the dayglo squares that adorn most British police vehicles is nicknamed battenburg.... As he points out in his pic.....the DPG are the Diplomatic Protection Group who are tasked with protecting Downing Street, high risk diplomatic premises and select embassies......generally armed but a few embassy posts are unarmed....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Mossie

There's even a Wiki page on them.  They're used very widely in the UK, among other places:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenburg_markings
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ifor

Just as an add on DPG vehicles are normally all red. If I can remember rightly the battenburg was adopted due to the issue of 'perspicuity'. some forces seem to be doing away with it?
You'll find alot of PSU vans are all blue, this again was to make them stand out.
Alot of the cars now being acquired are either silver or black due to the resale value is greater.
Been out a little while, so I think this is still correct, apologies if not.