BUFFs heading in for new upgrades

Started by scooter, October 23, 2013, 03:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: scooter on October 26, 2013, 04:07:30 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2013, 03:15:47 AM
Quote from: Rheged on October 26, 2013, 02:20:40 AM
There's a perfectly good American  company called The Allison Engine Company*  who could  build  Rolls Royce engines in the USA.   I can't see  Rolls Royce Group PLC  objecting!

KCF pointed that out already, but would it make commercial sense to build a complete new plant just to build a small number of RB211s? The size of the assembly hall in Derby where they build them is IMMENSE, and I can't see R-R wanting to invest in a copy of it over in the US unless there was the prospect of a longer production run there.

It would make supply stream logistics easier for the airlines in the US that have RB211-equipped airframes.  Use it to not only build new, but also rebuild as a depot-level maintenance facility.

And while we're at it, why not re-engine the E-3/E-8 fleet with 211s?

'cause they used CFM-56s instead?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: Rheged on October 26, 2013, 02:20:40 AMThere's a perfectly good American  company called The Allison Engine Company*  who could  build  Rolls Royce engines in the USA.
Okay, that works...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.