BUFFs heading in for new upgrades

Started by scooter, October 23, 2013, 03:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

I ot all excited 'cause I thought you were talking about the DHC version !

:thumbsup:

Still good news tho
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

From AIR International 22nd June 2042:

FASTER THAN LIGHT DRIVE DISCOVERED!
US Air Force begins study on B-52 upgrade

;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Logan Hartke

From AIR & SPACE International 24th February 2043:

TO INFINITY AND BEYOND
USAF scraps B-52 FTL drive, opts for more limited avionics & sensors upgrade
P&W modifying TF33s to burn unobtanium for interplanetary travel

Thanks,

Logan

zenrat

633 squadron was on the TV during the week.  According to the guide the director, George Grauman, flew B52s in WW2.  In which case they could certainly do with an upgrade by now...
Coincidentally as i've been off sick this week i've been catching up on stuff I recorded and then didn't get to watch and so viewed Bombers B52.  Not much to rave about as far as movies go but worth watching for the F86, B47s and B52s.  And as it was filmed in 1956 it's not really that long after WW2 anyway...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

These aircraft have been modified so many times that there is miles of cable and wire inside that is no longer used. You would have to take half the plane apart to get it out. I'm sure the range would improve if all that weight were removed.
I just don't understand why no one has put new engines on these warhorses!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Logan Hartke

Quote from: kerick on October 23, 2013, 07:12:55 PMI'm sure the range would improve if all that weight were removed.

Those bundles of wire may be the only things holding them together, too!

Cheers,

Logan

PR19_Kit

I posted a reply to this right after scooter's first post, and it's vanished.............  :banghead:

What I said was, that Boeing has already done the engineering to hang big turbofans on the B-52 wings because they did exactly that when they used them as engine test beds. It shouldn't be THAT expensive to do that to the USAF fleet to my mind.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Didn't one of the proposals get bogged down in politics because the engines in question were Rolls-Royce RB211s?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on October 24, 2013, 04:11:26 AM
Didn't one of the proposals get bogged down in politics because the engines in question were Rolls-Royce RB211s?

Well, THERE'S a surprise............. [cynic mode off]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

I seem to recall reading that the engine upgrades were actually ditched because the improvement in fuel efficiency would only just pay for the cost of the upgrades, so wasn't worth the hassle.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Gondor

Quote from: pyro-manic on October 24, 2013, 12:25:28 PM
I seem to recall reading that the engine upgrades were actually ditched because the improvement in fuel efficiency would only just pay for the cost of the upgrades, so wasn't worth the hassle.

If that is the case then one day it will become economically feasible to change the engines.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on October 24, 2013, 04:11:26 AM

Umm, the GAO questioned the program on cost not geographic origin, the RB211 was suggested by Boeing
in 2003 because they were very familiar with using it on commercial aircraft.
Anyhow Rolls-Royce had purchased Allison in 1995, so technically R-R was by the time of the Boeing proposal,
for purchasing considerations, an 'American' company and, if y'all recall, R-R was chosen for the F-35 program
in 2001.
So the 'not built here' theory doesn't fly.  ;)

Re-engining the B-52 would be a lot more complicated than folks seem to realize, and if it had gone
forward in 2006-2008 (best case if approved in 2003-2004) the program would probably already be
at least 25-30% percent over budget and way behind schedule with maybe 5-6 aircraft 'completed'
but probably still not back in service.  :banghead:

rickshaw

There was a proposal a few years back to re-engine them with CFM fans as well.  IIRC they proposed leasing the engines to the USAF, rather than selling to "sweeten" the deal.   That one did, I believe founder partly on geopolitical problems and partly on cost.

Personally, considering the present economic difficulties the US is in, I really can't see a programme as big as that would be required to re-engine the fleet going ahead.

I wonder how soon it will be before the first grand-child of an original B-52 pilot flies one?   :blink:

I suspect that the B-52s will rust away before they are officially replaced.  ;D ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.