G

TSR-2 SIG

Started by Geoff_B, September 01, 2004, 12:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_B

Hi Fellas

Well after a succesful SMW this year where one of the SIG's objectives have already been achieved (Airfix are to produce the TSR-2 in 1/72 for next Autumn) we need to determine what comes next.

After some discussion with Airfix, our job will be to promote the concept and the new model where ever and whenever we can. I'll see about getting additional Flyers from Airfix so we can distribute them whenever we visit model shows in the next 12 months (once i get some i'll let you know so i can forward them upon request to other members). Also spread the word on-line in the other forums we frequent. I see the subject has already popped up on ARC but as its covering old ground to the old hands i'll let Nev keep that topic hot.

A next step would also be to see about creating a suitable decal sheet for viable squadrons for What-if usage. Now wether we can get this done by Model Allaince (as they are doing the resin upgrades) or we produce it ourselves through a custom decal producer. I know Lee & Joe were looking at the profiles for the camo scheme so a SIG discussion may be in order to decide this strategy.

Another task will be to advertise ourselves and encourage new members as i get the feeling we may see an influx over the next 12 months ;) .

Finally i'm starting to create the first Newsletter, mainly email based to keep costs down and keep it simple so as not to complicate the Admin by creating membership fees. As a result it should only be a few pages long with a few photos or drawings. Anybody wishing to make a contribution are welcome to fwd any articles to us.

BTW any board users wishing to join the SiG can do so by sending their details to me via email or PM. Please include your address, email address and IPMS number if applicable.

Cheers

Geoff Baker
TSR-2 Sig Leader

Captain Canada

Hi Geoff,

If you get some more flyers, could you mail me a  few ? My local shop guy is from Cheshire, and a die-hard Brit. Almost to the point where somedays, I tell him to get the feck out and go back home ! :P

Anyway, a few flyers of that kind on his countertop would sure be nice. I'm sure he'd sell more than a few to his 'loyal' customers !

Cheers,
     Toad
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Nick

Another idea is for us to create a webpage with as much TSR.2 info as possible. On several forums people are asking questions like;

What squadrons they would have served in?
Serial numbers?
Camo schemes?
Weapons points?
What weapons were to be carried (underwing and bomb-bay)?
Potential sales and numbers?

Unless one of us is planning to publish TSR.2 - What could have been in the next year a webpage (as opposed to a forum thread) could be a great resource for us to have, especially by way of advertising the TSR.2 SIG.

Nick B)  

Radish

And order them, buy them, and build them.

I have three ordered from Hannants for starters.
Would Model Alliance be interested in a decal sheet? Could be fun.
Foreign options as well as RAF??

Can't Tornado decals be adopted??

Looking forward to this beastie.
OK, it'll be crap plastic, crap detail and a bucket of filler needed, but it'll be WAY advanced over any alternative and  easier to build.
ROCK ON!!!

Will we have room for them all?

:ar:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Geoff_B

QuoteUnless one of us is planning to publish TSR.2 - What could have been in the next year a webpage (as opposed to a forum thread) could be a great resource for us to have, especially by way of advertising the TSR.2 SIG.

As it happens Nick, Wooksta has had plans for oine for a while, something similar to the RAAF/RAN one he did with John Baxter. Also TsrJoe who is the oracle on all things TSR-2 is working (just) on a tome to be the complete reference to the TSR-2. As a result i'm unwilling to publish their work on a website for free access to all without theri permission. That why i prefer the newsletter approach as i can use that to publich snippets without to much detail and it will go to those who truely want it. The SIG afterall is open to all.

Actually its quite funny to see the forums glistening with ideas than we discussed and built 18 months ago or more. But at least its a more positive reaction than when we first posted the idea in 2003.

Cheers

Geoff B

Mairfrog

I think we need a single TSR 2 modelling web presence; it's split between various places at the mo, my Yahoo group included.
Trouble with proper websites is the dreaded copyright issue. There are a lot of joyless copyright nazis out there. Obviously these people have never taped a record or CD. Don't get me started.  <_<

Geoff_B

QuoteThere are a lot of joyless copyright nazis out there. Obviously these people have never taped a record or CD. Don't get me started.

Not so much an issue with this Simon, just i know Joe has extrapolated much of the data and it would be unfair to him and his sources to submit it all to the web, afterall its been their time and money thats has retreived the data for us.

Cheers

Geoff B)  

Radish

Wouldn't have thought there was enough money in a TSR2 publication along the lines that Model Alliance publish.
They just wouldn't sell enough copies. And their decal sheets are pretty expensive so I reckon any builders of Airfix kit'll grab spares from other kits, etc..
I reckon Model Alliance would be a blind alley.
And where was Neil Robinson at Telford?
I saw him a couple of times on the SAMI set-up, in their dark little hut, but that's all. He seemed to have disappeared completely by Sunday lunchtime!
Can't we just make up the schemes?
The real guys make mistakes anyway!
:angry:  

Martin H

Fantasy printshop.  They will do custom orders, so long as u order a minimum quantity (not sure how many is minimum to them thou)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Geoff_B

As i say Rad it may well just be in house but we've been thinking about if for some time, and the new kit is bound to promote interest. Just a case of a few of us to sit down and discuss whats needed.

Joe may have found a custom decal producer so we'll have to see if that option is viable.

Cheers

Geoff B B)  

Radish

Yeah NWR is a good chap, if (unusually) quiet at the moment. Perhaps he's mired down with MAM.
If you're doing it, Wooks, great. :lol:  :lol:
I reckon profiles like in their books would be good though. It'd give that "authentic" feel. :lol:
I was talking to a friend who used to produce decals under the "Fineline" name....lots of DC-3, DC-6 Air Atlantic stuff, plus some RAF stuff in 1/72nd and 1/144th? :lol:
He was saying EuroDecal had a run of 300 production copies for their sheets; Model Alliance generally ran off 1000, but their TELIC sheets are half way through their 3rd production run. AeroMaster.....no idea, but he did talk to them, but I don't know what Gaston said.
Fantasy Printshop are good quality stuff. :lol:
All might be very interesting, especially if someone could design some "Special Markings", and also if one or two really famous untis could be equipped....like 112 Sqn, that unit with Elephants on the badge....big one on the fin?
:wub:  

TsrJoe

theres a commercial compsany not too far from me (iv seen some of the stuff the chap there has done for some colleagues...excellent!) i was thinking of getting a sheet of sqdn badges for a number of the likely allocations as well as command shields (RAFG. NEAF. etc.), the only documented 'specified' markings due to a proposed centralised servicing scheme (altho as we all know this would soon be augmented at sqdn level once in service!) was only to have been a 'small depiction of the sqdn badge in a standard crown frame, on (preferably) the upper fin or fwd fuselage' and yip i know im a nerd to restrict my modelling thus, but...chuckle... :blink:

the other part of the sheet was going to be blue cheatlines and command titles for  RAF. & Armee de'l' Air Concorde's!!? hehehe  :D

ill keep you chaps informed as to progress!

cheers, joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Radish

Sounds excellent, Joe baby!!
Like the idea of RAF titles....dead useful for lots of things. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: