DH 96 Squirrel -finally finished

Started by TallEng, October 25, 2013, 03:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

The DH 96 Squirrel was built as an Ab-initio trainer to spec. T.1/37. It is an all-wood, low wing, tandem two-place, single engine aircraft with a conventional tail wheel landing gear and fabric-covered control surfaces. Of wooden monocoque construction (ply-balsa-ply sandwich structure later used so successfully for the Mosquito), this not only saved weight and compensated for the low power of the de Havilland Gipsy Major 8 engine used by this aircraft, but simplified construction, Allowing manufacture and assembly by the Woodworking industry. Production versions of the Squirrel were powered by a 145 hp (108 kW) in-line de Havilland Gipsy Major 8 engine. The prototype Squirrel (L2440) first flew in late 1938, and was later sent with the third production airframe (L2443) to be evaluated by the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) at RAF Martlesham Heath, As a result, the fully aerobatic Squirrel was ordered into production as an ab initio trainer for the Royal Air Force. The first production examples were delivered to the Central Flying School at Upavon.

Well, this build was inspired by CSMO's wonderful "back dated Chipmunk" http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,37768.0.html
And the desire not to start something new but to rescue something from the DNF pile.
Hopefully I'll finish it this time.....
Comments, improvements etc....

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

That looks VERY promising Keith, one neat aircraft.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Nice one ! A few simple changes really change the look of the Chippie eh ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

I've long thought of Chippie as a 'hi-tech' Magister, and a Maggie a '30s Chipmunk, so thanks for turning that thought into something tangible.

The 'Squirrel' then.  Ideally what de Havilland should have provided the RAF instead of the Tiger Moth?  Looks that way to me - and the 'Squirrel Mk II' would have had an enclosed cockpit of course.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

CSMO

Attaboy! One doesn't have to totally chop up a kit or kits and use half of a tube of putty to make an intelligent "What-if? build. I like where you are going with this one. Thank you for the plug. Well done, so far, sir! Adios, Larry. :cheers: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TallEng

Well it's update/question time
First off these are the Mods I've done to the former Chipmunk,
The idea being to make it look more De Havilandish, if you see what
I mean,  :unsure: and back date it to a late 30's style.
I've rounded the tailplanes off, reduced the broad cord rudder back
To its original size, removed the dorsal strake, and have tried for that
'Open cockpit' look. I also cut a triangular section out of the main plane
Wing roots in order to give the wing a straight leading edge instead of the
Slight sweep back the real Chipmunk has.
And this is where we are at the moment

The thing is does it still look too Chipmunky?
If it does, is this a bad thing?

Do I need a head rest like the Magister does for the rear seat occupant?

Hopefully the Airfix instructions and Warpaint illustrations from the Magister
Will help you to see what I mean.
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Dizzyfugu

Sweet aircraft. Those simple machines frequently get neglected, and yours looks magnificient.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

My view is that it needs something behind the rear seat. Not necessarily a headrest, but maybe just a small bump ? Looks superb anyway
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Well it's been a long time coming, but the Squirrel is finally finished :rolleyes:
So without further ado, the pictures:

Hope you like :thumbsup:
Comments, criticisms as ever great fully received
Regards
Keith

NARSES2

Dizzyfugu

Lovely. It's so simple, yet elegant - very well done.  :thumbsup:

kitnut617

Another really good looking build. 

As an aside, in one of the latest Air-Britain magazines I subscribe to, there's a photo of a Chipmunk (G-ATTS) powered by a Rover TP.90 turboprop.  After I swipe the canopy from the new kit I bought, I think I'll build a model of this aircraft --- as long as I can find some other photos of it -- 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

CSMO

That, sir, is one sweet ride. I would jump at the chance for a ride in one if it were the real deal. Wicked cool! Adios, Larry. : :mellow:wub: :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow: :drink:
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."