Commonwealth Aircraft/Bristol "Beaudacious" FC.Mk.1.

Started by CSMO, October 26, 2013, 08:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

This one started life as a 1/72 FROG Beaufighter Mk.21(produced by DAP in Australia). It is labelelled an FC.Mk.1(Fighter, Contra-rotating propeller) or FC because a fine Aussie named Fred Coulson, donated to me another pile of FROG Shackelton propellers.

The Beaudacious was the result of the Australian government's failure to procure a number of Bristol Brigands. The RAAF wanted these to replace their old Mk.21s, as the Brigand was a "hotter" airplane. So the RAAF contracted with CAC to modify and upgrade a number of Mk.21s.
Modifications included: 1) replacement of the engines with zero-time P&W R-2800s, with 2-stage superchargers.2) Installation of high-performance contra-rotating propeller systems. 3) Removal of two of the four 20mm cannons to help with weight and balance of the new power units. 4) installation of two 40mm. Vickers cannons surplussed from scrapped Hurricane Mk.IIDs(with additional magazines that could be loaded by the rear gunner), rear mounted for weight and balance, as well.

I cleaned up the Hercules cowlings, added new exhausts, and added two 40mm. cannons from an Airfix Hurricane Mk.IIb kit. Decals are the Kit serial # and national insignia from an old Modeldecal sheet. I painted it Xtracolor Medium Sea Grey over Testors Black, like the Brigand, because if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I am really pleased with the look of the model.

Adios, Larry.

"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Cobra

Superb Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Almost has a 'Crimson Skies' Feel to it! Hope to see More Awesome Creations from You :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Captain Canada

Nice one Larry ! Always loved the Beau and those props look wicked on her....the paint scheme is pretty wicked too ! My only complaint ? With a name like 'Beaudacious', there has to be a pin-up girl on the nose  :thumbsup:

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

crudebuteffective

Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

CSMO

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 26, 2013, 10:48:35 PM
Nice one Larry ! Always loved the Beau and those props look wicked on her....the paint scheme is pretty wicked too ! My only complaint ? With a name like 'Beaudacious', there has to be a pin-up girl on the nose  :thumbsup:

:wub:

With a name like Beaudacious, I didn't have a pin-up decal in the box that was hot enough to do this beast or any woman sufficient justice. Adios, Larry
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

NARSES2

I like that.  :thumbsup: Always liked that colour scheme and the engine/prop changes just make it look more modern.

Beaufighter's were tested with 2 x 40mm guns, 1 a Vickers gun and the other a Rolls Royce gun so as to test the two options. They were buried in the lower fuselage and trials went well but was never adopted. There was also considerable work undertaken to adapt the 2pdr AT gun for the Beaufighter.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Army of One

I really like this.....love the scheme and the props.....great work... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

TallEng

Very nice :thumbsup:
You're just missing the white serials underneath the wings (if we were to be picky) which we're not ;D
And a side shot would be nice.
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

buzzbomb

kerick

Awesome, My only suggestion would be stronger plating for the cockpit floor. I can just see the floor pushed upward from the blast of those two 40mms.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

wuzak

I think it looks awesome.

Perhaps Abbott in his desire to save money could buy 100 of these instead of F-35s   ;)

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<