Battle of Britain camo for biplanes?

Started by Nick, October 27, 2013, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Been working on a biplane (too many wings!) with an idea of it fighting in the Battle of Britain. The overall Dark Green and Dark Earth isn't too hard to transfer from a Hurricane plan, it's the underside that gets me.
I seem to have options:

Green/Brown camo
Black and White halves
Sky
Duck Egg Green

I'm leaning towards RAF Sky as I have the paint but would it necessarily be 'correct'? When did the change from B/W to Sky happen?
Also, would both wing undersides get painted different or just the lower wing?

kitbasher

Hi Nick,

I suggest googling 'Gloster Gladiator' images, and also visiting Wings Palette at http://wp.scn.ru/.  Basing whatever it is on the Gladiator should ensure authenticity (and provide inspiration), as Gladiators actually operated in the Battle of Britain (and of course the preceding Battle of France).

Both wings would have been divided into black and white, BTW.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TallEng

Having just consulted my Warpaint 37 Gloster Gladiator I can say you would also be safe with Sky, as there are a couple of profiles with the Dark earth, Dark green and light earth and light green shadow shading on the bottom wings with Sky underneath.
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

deathjester

Look up the Hawker Fury - I've seen pics of if in BoB camo, as some units had them in about 1940 still...

kitbasher

Quote from: deathjester on October 27, 2013, 03:07:09 PM
Look up the Hawker Fury - I've seen pics of if in BoB camo, as some units had them in about 1940 still...

Were they not Flying Training Schools?  I suppose its possible some squadrons may have had them as hacks.  Pics would be very interesting.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Nick

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/f/279/9/0#20

Damn and blast! How can I make this Fury look like it fought in the Battle of Britain?

dadlamassu

There were quite a few RAF combat camouflaged biplanes in the early war period.  Only the Gladiator (AFAIK) saw combat in BoB.

DH Tiger Moth - Home defence (8 x 20lb bombs) during the Invasion Scare
Hawker Hart Bomber - Middle East, North Africa, EastAfrica, South African Air Force (SAAF)
Hawker Demon - Royal Australian Air Force
Hawker Audax - Royal Australian Air Force, SAAF and silver RAF ones in Iraq 1941
Hawker Hartebeeste - SAAF (East Africa)
Hawker Hardy - Rhodesian Air Force (East Africa)
Hawker Fury - SAAF (East Africa)
Short Stranraer - RAF Patrol
Supermarine Walrus - RAF rescue
Vickers Vildebeest - RAF, RNZAF
Vincent - Middle East (Iraq 1941), Far East - RAF, RNZAF
Vickers Valentia - Middle East, Iraq (1941)
Westland Wapiti - SAAF, India

Of course the RN had other biplanes.

kitbasher

Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2013, 03:31:20 PM

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/f/279/9/0#20

Damn and blast! How can I make this Fury look like it fought in the Battle of Britain?

Adapt the SAAF Fury colour scheme, or, as I suggested earlier, just apply a Gladiator scheme and (just thought of this) give it Hurricane I squadron markings. 

Nick

I recall Chris getting the AModel Hawker Hector kit at Telford some years ago and the artwork was of it in action during the Battle of France over Dunkirk and Calais.

Now what if the Fury were sold to Ireland in 1940 instead of the Hector? To backup the Gladiators? Same RAF camo but with Irish markings?

kitbasher

Sounds good - use the IAC markings that come with the new Airfix Gladiator maybe?

Alternatively keep them with the RAF, have the backstory pull the airframes from FTSs to form a squadron for the air defence of the Isle of Man or Northern Ireland?

dadlamassu

Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2013, 03:31:20 PM
[/quote

Use the standard camouflage scheme, earth/green/sky or perhaps trainer yellow undersides.  Then give the Fury standard RAF Markings - but from your favourite University Air Squadron rather than a fighter squadron and have it defending the Seat Of Learning from the Nefarious Nazis.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2013, 03:49:45 PM
I recall Chris getting the AModel Hawker Hector kit at Telford some years ago and the artwork was of it in action during the Battle of France over Dunkirk and Calais.

Yup 6 Hectors from 613 Sqd dive bombed German troops investing Calais on the 26th May and on the 27th dropped supplies to the troops inside Calais alongside Lysanders. 2 Hectors were lost.

Nick if you want to do an Irish one you can have the Gladiator markings from the Airfix kit. I didn't use them and can't see me using them either.

If RAF BoB then go with Sky/light blue undersides ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Thanks Chris, those Irish Gladiator marking would be most useful. I'll pm you with my plans!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

For an RAF Gladiator, lower wings half black, half white. No Sky, AFAIK, upper wing also B/W or alternatively aluminum dope from below, and the fuselage might be painted in a wrap-around scheme. Shading of the lower wing's upper surface and the fuselage flanks is optional - if it's a rel. late use aircrfat, just go with Dark Green/Dark Earth all over.