HMS THUNDER CHILD

Started by crudebuteffective, October 29, 2013, 12:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Really?  I always had the impression it was British.  Learn something new everyday.  I'll have to hunt down a copy, I think.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Doc Yo

I'd be willing to give the mockumentary a look. I still haven't been able to make it through my copy of the Pendragon film, but I can't bring myself to despise it. The people behind it were doing their level best, I think.

Interesting interpretation of the Thunder Child kind of a double-wiff, since the Chinese ships were the product of German yards ( Vulkan, I believe ) a whirlwind romance between Victoria and Wilhelm, perhaps? ;D

I've always been a bit ambivalent about the identity of HMS Thunder Child - many folks seem to think the much smaller HMS Polyphemus is the best candidate, based on Wells' calling the ship a "torpedo ram". I tend to favor the rams like HMS Hotspur or Glatton, as
Polyphemus' didn't carry anything heavier than a Nordenfelt...but that's the great thing about whiffing this great ship, almost anything goes!

jcf

I'll assume you mean Victoria and Wilhelm I, as Wilhelm II was her Grandson.  :blink:

Doc Yo

Yo Kinetic Enterprises " No Whiff too Perverse "   :wacko:

jcf

Old Wombat

I keep on thinking of HMS Thunderchild as a scaled down Dreadnought or something similar to either the Astraea or Pelorus class protected cruisers, although they are a bit late (1892-1893/1896-1900).

Astraea class - HMS Cambrian & Astraea class (interesting anecdote at the end of this HMS Astraea)
Pelorus class - HMS/HMAS Psyche (nice quote from Rear Admiral Cresswell here re: the Pelorus class)

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est