FROG XF8F-1F Super Bearcat.

Started by CSMO, October 30, 2013, 09:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

The Bearcat was one of the fastest and most maneuverable piston-engine fighters ever built. In it's desire for a superior fighter, Grumman decided to emulate the Griffon-engined Spitfire F.Mk.47, with its contra-rotating propeller system.

One airframe was modified and tested. It was found to be only marginally more efficient than the stock airframe. The airframe was converted back to stock form and issued to the Navy.

This is the FROG Bearcat kit. It is the first one that I have built, having built over a dozen of the classic Monogram F8F kits

It is built OOB except a gearbox from scrap and a propeller unit from a FROG Shackelton. It is brushpainted from an old tin of Humbrol HU24, Glossy Sea Blue ANA623. I used some of the kit decals.

I am very happy with the results. it is what a friend would call "Wicked Good!".

Adios, Larry
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

NARSES2

Nice, in FAA markings it would look a natural  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

What he said !

:thumbsup:

Nice one. Looks longer and sleeker....but then again, I suppose it is !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

perttime

Nice  ;D
Not as great a success, then, as the Napier Sabre powered Sabrecat  :lol:

Now I'm wondering which turboprop would be about the right size and weight for mounting on a Bearcat...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: perttime on October 30, 2013, 11:36:36 AM
Nice  ;D

Now I'm wondering which turboprop would be about the right size and weight for mounting on a Bearcat...

A Python, but mounted 6 ft further forward!  ;D

There aren't any turbo-props that weigh the same as an R-2800.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 30, 2013, 11:40:22 AM
Nice  ;D

A Python,

Oo! not sure about that Kit, the Python is almost the same size as the Bearcat ---- If I was to turbo-prop the Bearcat I'd use a Dart like on the Dart Dakota arrangement, or a Tyne

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Librarian

Very, very nice :wub:. Now take this beauty and stick a float underneath...ooooohhh.... :thumbsup:.

perttime

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 30, 2013, 12:32:37 PM
A Python,

Oo! not sure about that Kit, the Python is almost the same size as the Bearcat ---- If I was to turbo-prop the Bearcat I'd use a Dart like on the Dart Dakota arrangement, or a Tyne

Or something American, maybe. Pratt & Whitney T34?
One thing is that turboprops seem to be way longer than radials.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: perttime on October 30, 2013, 12:48:40 PM
A Python,

Well they would be, as most of them have axial compressors with the turbine tacked on behind. They're very 'linear' in comparison with two, or even four row radials.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 30, 2013, 01:00:04 PM
A Python,

Well they would be, as most of them have axial compressors with the turbine tacked on behind. They're very 'linear' in comparison with two, or even four row radials.
The Dart's compressor was a centrifugal type.  The version that was installed on the Andover were over 3200 shp, would be quite a power increase for the Bearcat.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Nice  ;D

A Python,

The Tyne is nearly as half as  long as the Bearcat (Tyne - 2.7 metres, Bearcat - 8.6 metres).   The Tyne isn't a small engine!  Most of the nacelles I've measured (Atlantique, Transall) are nearly as long as the Bearcat.

As for weight, the PW R-2800 weighs in at 1,073 kg whereas the Tyne weighs 1,085 kg, which is a touch more.

With ~treble the power (R-2800 ~2,100 hp (1,567 kW) @ 2,700 rpm, Tyne ~6,100 hp (4,549 kW) ) you'd see a considerable increase in performance but you'd need a contraprop to get most out of it.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

CSMO

When I built this one, I was thinking '46-'50 timeframe. Turbo-prop motors weren't worth crap back then. I was trying for a modicum of practicality rather than a flight of fancy. With that honking long nose out front, messing up my forward vision, I would be scared silly trying to land one on a straight-deck Midway class carrier. Nor would it be easy to take off from an airstrip, with zero visibility over the nose. Think Corsair, only longer. Adios, Larry. :mellow:
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 30, 2013, 01:26:47 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 30, 2013, 01:00:04 PM
A Python,

The Dart's compressor was a centrifugal type.  The version that was installed on the Andover were over 3200 shp, would be quite a power increase for the Bearcat.

I said MOST of them...........

Regards
Kit

kerick

Turbos are longer by design but by the time you mount one at the right position to balance the aircraft its really out in front. Check out the turbo C-47s and turbo albatross conversions.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Nice build - another benchmark could be Ryan's Dark Shark - the turboprop engine is pretty compact, but the whole nose is still considerably longer than the original radial arrangement.