Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: Nick on April 11, 2021, 04:25:16 AM
In the other Trouser Leg of Time I didn't mention short trousers and start a thread suited for a gentlemens outfitters  :banghead:
At least you don't wear pantaloons, codpieces or tights.

Or ruffles
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rheged

In order that Nick does not have his thread over-run with remarks concerning items of clothing , I have opened in "Everyday Chat " a topic entitled  Gentlemen's Outfitting etc....

Were we to post our thoughts on denims, cords, cod-pieces, pantaloons etc. there; it would mean that Nick got his modelling blog thread back, an outbreak of Thread Drift Virus was prevented  and space was made available for mention of your sartorial mishaps in a more appropriate place.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Nick

At work this morning I spent the first two hours building what could be one of the worst fitting injection kits from my stash. At the Huddersfield show 4 years ago I picked up a rare kit from Taiwan toy maker Kiddyland, the 1/72 scale Ching-Kuo F-CK-1.

It's a stinker on a level with early Amodel kits. The kit itself was poorly stored before I bought it - the rigid top opening box has been squashed inwards and the decal sheet was stuck to the instructions. It may have been in a hot attic as the main sprue is bent.

I've got the top and bottom fuselages clamped together in 3 places and the gaps are showing up badly. Wisely I put the engine exhausts in at the same time to act as a former to prevent me bending the rear fuselage in case the clamps were too tight.

Plastic wise the moulding is good in places with a little detail but the fit is awful. A 1mm edge is showing on all the parts that fit together - like the intakes that sit proud of the body instead of flush. Whoever designed the cockpit parts didn't talk to the instructions designer because there is no way the instrument panel fits where the plans show. I can see a gap in the tail.

On the positive side we get a pair of pilot figures - which is odd as it's a single seat fighter.  :o   Anyway, one guy is in seated pose for flying and the other is standing holding his helmet Tom Cruise style. I think these may have been copied from a Tamiya mould.

Work will continue....

PR19_Kit

A pity it's such a rubbish kit, I've always thought that it was a really good looking aircraft.

Best of luck with it Nick.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on April 12, 2021, 02:52:07 AM
Kiddyland, the 1/72 scale Ching-Kuo F-CK-1.

A rather appropriate name from your review  :angel: I actually had to check if this was it's real name as I've never heard of it before
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 12, 2021, 05:13:30 AM
A pity it's such a rubbish kit, I've always thought that it was a really good looking aircraft.

Best of luck with it Nick.

This is one machine that deserves a modern 1/72 version from somebody like HobbyBoss or Trumpeter but politics means they won't touch it. Maybe AFV Club or Freedom Models will resize their 1/48 or 1/32 versions.

I've often wondered about the design as it clearly has bits of F-18 and F-16 design in there.

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 12, 2021, 06:14:25 AM
Quote from: Nick on April 12, 2021, 02:52:07 AM
Kiddyland, the 1/72 scale Ching-Kuo F-CK-1.

A rather appropriate name from your review  :angel: I actually had to check if this was it's real name as I've never heard of it before

Yep, that's what I was saying a lot this morning. I foresee a lot of putty going into this. And I may need to shove some nose weights in as the stand that should be in there is missing.  :-X

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Nick on April 12, 2021, 06:30:42 AM
This is one machine that deserves a modern 1/72 version from somebody like HobbyBoss or Trumpeter but politics means they won't touch it. Maybe AFV Club or Freedom Models will resize their 1/48 or 1/32 versions.

I totally agree, it's surprising that there isn't one in 1/72 yet.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Nick

It's been a difficult month. The builds have stalled while I get the parts and decals in. Nothing out of the normal really!

Thanks to Mossie I've ordered a US cop car decal sheet from Hannants and should have that in hand by next weekend. Looks like I will need to mask and spray the body in black and white. The rooftop lights are hard to source so I'm working on a DIY set of lights like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHojYDvjh4g
Alternatively I leave them off and say the flashing lights are under the grille.  ;)

The hard part has been with my Dad's girlfriend who was fighting cancer for the last 3 or 4 years. Sadly she passed on Sunday lunchtime. I saw her only 10 days ago and she was sitting up in bed and we had a nice little chat. She went downhill rapidly this last week and slept most of the time.

Dad sounded very upset when he called but was quite clear that there were enough family in the house already with her kids and niece (my age) and they needed to call everyone first etc.
It's tricky in that I want to go and be with him but at the same time there's not a lot I can actually do while there and I don't want to be in the way.

NARSES2

Sorry to hear about your Dad's girlfriend Nick. It can be difficult enough during "normal" times, but with the current Covid regulations it gets even trickier. At least we are coming out of it, touch wood, so you should be able to go and visit without to many restrictions in the next week or so.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Family Scooter's condolences to your father, Nick.  Cancer sucks.  I lost a grandmother, my mother, and MIL to cancer.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitbasher

Ah Nick, sad news.  Please accept my condolences, hope your Dad is coping well enough with it all.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Pellson

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss, Nick.

Re your father - My gut feeling is actually that you should go to see your dad. While it's busy right now, it'll soon get very quiet and then, staying close in touch is very important for the bereaved. And that will be harder for you to effect, the longer you linger.

But I obviously don't know your family and your situation, so take this advice for what it is - a shot from a distance.

Take care of yourself, though.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Nick

Quote from: Pellson on May 10, 2021, 10:16:11 AM
I'm really sorry to hear of your loss, Nick.

Re your father - My gut feeling is actually that you should go to see your dad. While it's busy right now, it'll soon get very quiet and then, staying close in touch is very important for the bereaved. And that will be harder for you to effect, the longer you linger.

But I obviously don't know your family and your situation, so take this advice for what it is - a shot from a distance.

Take care of yourself, though.

You are right. He called earlier about the funeral which is happening much sooner than any of us expected - next week.
I've arranged to pop by on Thursday by which time things will be much quieter and he will want to talk to somebody different. I plan to push my sister and niece to go see him this weekend as well.

Rheged

Very sorry to hear your news, Nick.     When my dad died (6 years ago)  everyone was there for me for weeks afterwards, but the real effects hit me some time after that. Being there for your dad for as long as it takes is a wonderful thing to do.  Just keep on keeping on, and the rest of whiffworld will give you support when you need it.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kerick

My condolences for your Dad. Lots of good advice here. Be sure to take care of yourself so you can be there for your Dad. He will need you although he may not have had time to think about that yet.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise