Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The plumbing's done and I now have a flushing and leak free cistern. RESULT!  :thumbsup:

Sorry for the thread hijack Nick. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

We have just 6 weekends till SMW at Telford. Don't Panic!

After looking at the 4 or 5 works in progress on my table what did I do? I opened up another one  :banghead:

Back in 2015 I bought a Revell Concorde (M&S boxing) in the Kitswap. I don't think I opened it at the time but yesterday I had a good look. Turns out to be half built and rather well so it's not too bad. The nose has cracked off and is packed with what looks like Liquid Metal. I think it expanded while setting. Easy to fix.

Decal sheet is in good order. Had to chuck out the paints (unopened but dried up) but the glue might be good and I have another paintbrush for the stash  :lol:

Looks like the seller got as far as gluing the undercarriage doors on and then gave up. I will need to find a suitable stand in my stash and then finish her off. Might do her in Pan Am if they fit, or ordinary British Airways as supplied.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on September 28, 2023, 10:25:09 AMWe have just 6 weekends till SMW at Telford. Don't Panic!

Beat me to the announcement Nick  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Nick on September 28, 2023, 10:25:09 AMWe have just 6 weekends till SMW at Telford. Don't Panic!

After looking at the 4 or 5 works in progress on my table what did I do? I opened up another one  :banghead:

Back in 2015 I bought a Revell Concorde (M&S boxing) in the Kitswap. I don't think I opened it at the time but yesterday I had a good look. Turns out to be half built and rather well so it's not too bad. The nose has cracked off and is packed with what looks like Liquid Metal. I think it expanded while setting. Easy to fix.

Decal sheet is in good order. Had to chuck out the paints (unopened but dried up) but the glue might be good and I have another paintbrush for the stash  :lol:

Looks like the seller got as far as gluing the undercarriage doors on and then gave up. I will need to find a suitable stand in my stash and then finish her off. Might do her in Pan Am if they fit, or ordinary British Airways as supplied.

Virgin- Beardy tried to buy them when BA retired them - may be more fun.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Nick

I'm sticking with the British Airways scheme for Concorde so I can put it on the London club stand at Telford. It'll be the largest thing there apart from some battleships.  :lol:
For a change I'm going to paint this model in separate parts so I can be sure of getting the details on the landing gear and engine pods.

Half tempted to get the Braz resin set for the engines but that costs money and more importanter, time.

There's a build on Britmodeller where they suggest doing a dirty wash to paint the windows. Not sure how that works to be honest. Any suggestions?

kitbasher

Is it feasible to mix some cheap black acrylic paint with Krystal Klear and the just fill in the window spaces with it.

Or fill in the windows and call it British Airways Cargo.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Nick

Today I has mostly been fixing the oven door. It fell off last night because the little pin on the upper hinge has worn out after approximately 10 years or 10,000 door openings. To fix it I had to find a large fat nail and cut it to length, then bend the hinge to replace the pin, bend the hinge back and then put the door back on the oven. Zanussi ZCV46250BA
It is a bit loose and wobbles a bit but shouldn't fall off soon.
Tomorrow I have to buy some oven cleaner.

McColm

Quote from: Nick on October 08, 2023, 11:44:36 AMToday I has mostly been fixing the oven door. It fell off last night because the little pin on the upper hinge has worn out after approximately 10 years or 10,000 door openings. To fix it I had to find a large fat nail and cut it to length, then bend the hinge to replace the pin, bend the hinge back and then put the door back on the oven. Zanussi ZCV46250BA

Why not invest in an air fryer?

Nick

Quote from: McColm on October 09, 2023, 02:29:30 PM
Quote from: Nick on October 08, 2023, 11:44:36 AMToday I has mostly been fixing the oven door. It fell off last night because the little pin on the upper hinge has worn out after approximately 10 years or 10,000 door openings. To fix it I had to find a large fat nail and cut it to length, then bend the hinge to replace the pin, bend the hinge back and then put the door back on the oven. Zanussi ZCV46250BA

Why not invest in an air fryer?

I did suggest it to Mum but she was adamant that she wouldn't use it. I suspect it would end up with the deep fat fryer, the sandwich toaster and the slow cooker - unused and gathering dust.

scooter

You also can't bake in an air fryer.  Y'know - cookies/biscuits, cakes, pies, brownies, holiday roasts, etc.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Nick

The oven is now working properly again. I replaced the grill element so we can cook cheese on toast. I also replaced the lights in the grill and oven so we can now see what is burning  :lol:

Also scrubbed down the area behind the cooker - if we were a restaurant our Scores on The Doors would be closer to 4  ;D

Of course, all this has cut into my model time and energy.

Nick

I cleared off the workbench a little bit last night and made space to get some building done. Why does so much dust build up in the corners?!  :o

The Concorde nose fell off again so I glued it yet again but with superglue this time. This thing has more nose jobs than Michael Jackson  ;)

Remembered the Hunter I built some time ago but needs finishing as a South African bird so that's on the desk.

Opened up the IBG Scammell. IBG stands for International Business Group which seems a bit anonymous and rather Bond villain-y. Given what's in the box it's quite appropriate. I've done the first 7 steps including building the engine (7 parts), assembling the radiator (4 parts), making the winch (6 parts) and the 6 wheels (12 parts).

Remember, this is 1/72. It's small. Mind boggling-ly small components. They even made the fuel cap a separate part that glues onto the corner of the fuel tank at an angle. It's barely 3mm wide. I've sneezed larger lumps!

The next step is for part of the winch which means cutting out 2 small PE parts and fitting 3 even smaller roller bars between the two. I will need a microscope, steady hands and some very fine tweezers. And a wee nip of Laophraig to calm my nerves.
I've still got the chassis, cab and crane to think about. It's a nicely moulded kit with lots of fine detail so it should look good when done.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on October 24, 2023, 03:55:02 AMI've sneezed larger lumps!

Too much information.  ;D

But it makes the point....................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

The only IBG armour kit I've built is their Crusader Mk III AA tank. Fairly simple parts breakdown, especially the single piece track and running gear  :thumbsup:  and some was very delicate but nothing to fiddly.

I've also got a Pz IV Aus D and Pz II Aus a1/a/2/a3 in their World at War series. They are quite simplistic in their construction as well. Although oddly the former is 1/76 whilst the later is 1/72  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

I did a lot of work on the Scammell last night while on a Zoom chat with the club. My patience is running out because it's all so small and fiddly.
122 parts used so far and I'm only on step 19 of 34.

But I am getting better with photo etch parts  ;)