Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Hells bells Nick, what scale is that?  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

frank2056

It looks like the Thunder Model 1/35 Scammell. It looks almost as sadistic as a Bronco or Hobby Boss kit. Do they hate modellers that much?

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2023, 12:55:12 PMHells bells Nick, what scale is that?  :o
Quote from: frank2056 on October 26, 2023, 02:23:11 PMIt looks like the Thunder Model 1/35 Scammell. It looks almost as sadistic as a Bronco or Hobby Boss kit. Do they hate modellers that much?

This is from IBG and it's 1/72 scale. IBG do a range of similar Scammell trucks with different sprues for different variants. My London club decided we would do a Group Build for Telford and these were on offer at Hannants , probably because nobody was daft enough to buy them.

I chose the Heavy Breakdown Tractor as it was the cheapest at £11.99.

You should have seen our faces at the club night when we opened the boxes and saw the contents. Big glossy instruction book, photo etch, tiny decals, thread for the crane wire, and a teeny little piece of clear plastic to cut up for the windows. Collectively we are now of the opinion that it was not the best idea...  :banghead:

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on October 26, 2023, 09:01:12 AMBut I am getting better with photo etch parts  ;)

Well at least there's been one benefit  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

The best laid plans etc.......................... :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I built the 1/72 Ace Models Mercedes W150 (4 seat touring car).  It was more detailed than some 1/25 cars in my stash.
I feel your pain.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

I've gotten a little further tonight by adding the rest of the PE including the big wing mirrors and the small grab handles.
Tomorrow I can start painting.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on October 30, 2023, 05:38:25 PMI've gotten a little further tonight by adding the rest of the PE including the big wing mirrors and the small grab handles.
Tomorrow I can start painting.

Do you want to start the sweep as to how long they will stay in place or should I ?  :angel:

It's looking good though Nick
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 31, 2023, 07:28:59 AMDo you want to start the sweep as to how long they will stay in place or should I ?  :angel:

It's looking good though Nick

I spent as much time putting the grab handles back in place as I did attaching the other bits of etch.  The designers at IBG did not think through the process for placing the etch most of which could have been done at the end..  :banghead:

The really awkward bit was on the back of the body. You can see the rear bumper bar. You need to slide it into very small etch brackets which then need gluing to the wall while holding the bar in place. They stuck to my tweezers, my fingers, the bench, everything bar the actual kit  :-X

Next few steps:
Spray primer.
Choose a scheme (British or German) and brush paint it.
Insert the windows.
Put the wheels on.
Fix roof on cab.
Fix body to chassis.
Work out how to attach the tow hook and cable to the crane  :-\

Gondor

By the way Nick,

Happy Birthday  :drink:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Oh, is it? You didn't tell us!

Happy Birthday Nick too.  :cheers:  :party:  :drink:

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

:thumbsup: HBTY, Nick 🎂🍻
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Nick

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I did fairly well this year because I actually put out a list of gift ideas in advance.

Dan Dare - Haynes book
Mosquito by Rowland White - a huge volume all about my favourite wooden aircraft. If it's anything like his other works it'll be great.
A Stroke of the Pen, Terry Pratchett's forgotten short stories for his newspaper.

Dad bought me lunch on Saturday  ;D
and I got some spending cash for Telford  :thumbsup:
---------

This morning I sprayed primer on the Sammell truck. Have to be careful how I pick it up to avoid wrecking the etch wing mirrors and other sticky out bits.
Sanded the Concorde nose in readiness for priming tonight - need to find a big box for it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on November 01, 2023, 06:09:10 AMA Stroke of the Pen, Terry Pratchett's forgotten short stories for his newspaper.

Meant to get a copy yesterday, but I was a bit early for Waterstones. I forget they operate "Gentleman's hours"  :rolleyes:

Nick

I finished the assembly last night which meant cutting up some very thin thread for the tow hook cable and carefully placing it with superglue.
I couldn't get it to hang properly so I'm saying it's jammed in the pulley  ;)

Tonight I can put the markings on, varnish it and declare it finished.