Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Don't you love finding stuff that you didn't know you had forgotten you had ? Maybe we should all look for boxes marked 'kitchen' !

Great stuff.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Nick

Half a year later and it's time for an update.  ;)  I was slightly distracted by the short walk I did in September (200 miles!) which only raised £1200+ for Cancer Research  ;D but now trying to get back on track.

For Telford this year (or next...) I'm working on four models with a decent chance of getting at least one ready in time!

Quick build is the Italeri F--19 to go with the Revell Monogram one I did years ago. This will also be in RAF green camo like the early Tornado. Might try for more details like squadron markings but not 617 as they are so overexposed.
The fit quality of this is very good and I have an Airfix double stand for them.

For the Battle of Britain build I have an Avia B35 on the go. Practically finished in one hour as it only has 24 basic parts, it just needs filling and painting. Markings are from the stash from a pair of part used Flitzer decals.
Very basic kit but it's an interesting subject which could have been improved.

Finally I have a pair of Phantoms on the go. The Bilek/Italeri F-4E is intended for Kiwi service if the decals arrive in time. It's a chunky aircraft but the instructions don't say much about the weapons. I see a Shrike and 4 Sidewinder and what could be a Standard?
Thankfully it doesn't matter which gun shroud I use.

The other Phantom is Revell RF-4E which I plan to put into RAAF service to accompany the extra aircraft they would have bought instead of the F-111. I reckon on a fleet of 48 F-4E with 6 RF-4E unless someone knows otherwise.
I might hang something 'special' underneath if I can find it.... :wacko:

Nick

Intriguing to compare two Phantom kits from different makers. The Italeri/Bilek one is quite simple and chunky with minimal surface detail in raised panel lines but it comes in only 50 parts and goes together with some alarming gaps.
The Revell RF-4E is almost over engineered having nearly 100 parts some of which are minute. I've sneezed bigger lumps than some of the parts on this thing! The designer went for extra detail on the cockpit with each seat having five little parts each which you can barely see underneath the canopy. There is no reason for the top of the tail to be separate from the rest, nor did the wings need to be in 5 pieces.
:banghead:
Despite all those quibbles the overall fit of each section is very good with very few gaps. I should have all of them primed by tomorrow with some gap filling to do.

PR19_Kit

Maybe the multiple parts were so they could make different versions with the same core parts? The separate fin tip would have enabled them to produce the F-4K and M with the Brit RWR fairing.

But then they didn't follow up on the opportunity......  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2015, 02:49:55 AM
Maybe the multiple parts were so they could make different versions with the same core parts? The separate fin tip would have enabled them to produce the F-4K and M with the Brit RWR fairing.

That's exactly my thinking. I have quite a few of the Hasegawa more modern (about 20 years old) mouldings and there is usually enough bits on the sprues to enable you to build almost any short nosed version.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2015, 02:49:55 AM

Probably right but.... the nose section was on a separate sprue, the fin tip was on the main fuselage sprue. Ah who knows?

All kits are 95% built, have just sprayed first primer coat in readiness for second round of filling and sanding. Now to pop out for more paint!

Gondor

Revell do an F-4F as well as the RF-4E that has a different sprue for the nose as that is different. I agree though, it's a pity that they have not expanded on the versions that they have boxed.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Nick

My unbounded genius strikes again!  :-X :-\

That Phantom I'm building? With all the fiddly awkward tiny pieces inside the nose that took ages to put together?
Those clear bits it would have been a good idea to mask before spraying?  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2015, 11:51:32 AM
My unbounded genius strikes again!  :-X :-\

That Phantom I'm building? With all the fiddly awkward tiny pieces inside the nose that took ages to put together?
Those clear bits it would have been a good idea to mask before spraying?  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

D'Oh

I feel your pain...

Nick

Stopped by Tesco the other day and they were selling desk organizers and pen holders at a very reduced price. I got two of these for just 75p each http://www.tesco.com/direct/soft-touch-pen-pot-black/732-2696.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=732-2696

One for the paint brushes and one for the knives and tweezers so my workbench is that little bit neater  :thumbsup:  I now have an extra square inch to work on!  ;D

Nick

Was looking at doing the Yugoslav Gnat in all over silver like a Mig-21 but my previous Gnats are both in silver. The standard RAF green/grey camo is an option but possibly with a lighter grey for a subtle difference.

Need to dig out my reference books on Bf-109s to get the Avia looking right for the Battle of Britain.

Painting the Phantoms could be awkward with the USAF SouthEast Asia multi-colour camo on top and a light grey underneath. Masking these could be tricky.
Think I'll first spray the underside grey, mask it best as I can and then do the top sides in Tan/Green/Dark Green. After that I can touch up the grey again if needed.
Anyone got better ideas?

Rick Lowe

What about the Gnat in the RAF style cam pattern but two-tone Greys?

Silly Putty for masking the Phantom?

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on November 01, 2015, 12:36:03 PM
Was looking at doing the Yugoslav Gnat in all over silver like a Mig-21 but my previous Gnats are both in silver. The standard RAF green/grey camo is an option but possibly with a lighter grey for a subtle difference.

As I'm not sure what the heck the "blue'ish" greys were on the real one I told you about how about standard RAF colours on top and then a bright light blue underneath ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

The Avia B.35 I did for the Battle Of Britain GB. Still needs some work doing IMHO.

NARSES2

What colours did you use Nick ? They look rather suitable for a naval fighter me thinks.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.