Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Quote from: Pellson on March 08, 2024, 02:27:06 AMDepends a lot on what car/engine we're dealing with, but for any combustion engine, dirty air filters will cause symptoms like these. Often easily checked/sorted as well.

Quote from: zenrat on March 08, 2024, 03:31:53 AMWhen did you last change the plugs?

The air filter and battery were new last October. Could be the plugs but the engine sounds very bad - my tame mechanic said it sounded like a timing chain problem and he couldn't do it. I've booked the car into a large garage for a proper check next week. The main dealer can't do anything until late April and the warranty is long gone.

I have an idea that the huge hidden pothole I hit 2 weeks back may have caused some damage to the engine. Something is rattling around in there.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on March 08, 2024, 04:41:27 AMI have an idea that the huge hidden pothole I hit 2 weeks back may have caused some damage to the engine. Something is rattling around in there.

Keep any necessary paperwork so you can make a claim on the council.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

The car goes into the garage today and fingers crossed they can sort it this week.
In the meantime I am borrowing my sisters Dogmobile, a 2007 Peugeot 107 which she bought for my niece to learn to drive in but she doesn't want to so it's been used to take the dogs out for country walks. This keeps the Alfa, the Merc and the Ranger clean....
It goes well enough to get me to work and that is the main thing  :thumbsup:

I've been working on the SRN1 hovercraft with the help of a very good build on Britmodeller and Gary's Stuff Youtube video in which he points out the major pitfalls with this old kit. Main points are that Airfix should have redrawn the instructions to make it clearer, some of the holes in the hull are blocked, the blower flaps need amending to show they are in use, and the cabin front is too short and needs building up with plasticard.

Otherwise it's looking rather good. The SRN1 was a very functional machine and you can see how it would have been operated.

It'll be ready for a primer spray when I get home and a squirt of Nissan Silver later on. Sure I've got the blue paint in the box but it may have dried up. I should have left the funnel off and sprayed it white separately but now it's on it is not coming off.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on March 11, 2024, 05:51:51 AMIn the meantime I am borrowing my sisters Dogmobile, a 2007 Peugeot 107 which she bought for my niece to learn to drive in but she doesn't want to so it's been used to take the dogs out for country walks. This keeps the Alfa, the Merc and the Ranger clean....
It goes well enough to get me to work and that is the main thing  :thumbsup:

I was wondering how you were going to get to work Nick. Glad that at least is sorted  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: Nick on March 11, 2024, 05:51:51 AMThis keeps the Alfa, the Merc and the Ranger clean....

While not being much for Mercs, Alfas and Rangies are always nice. Good taste!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Nick

This Panda is a bit on the small size  ;D
Feels like I'm putting it on rather than getting into it. It goes fast with a very buzzy little engine like a go kart and takes corners with an alarming lean!

The hovercraft got sprayed last night and this morning. Should be able to get the rest of the painting done tonight. I went with Halfords Aluminium rather than Nissan Metallic Silver as that was too shiny IMHO.

Last night I dug out a few old pots of blue paint which will need some stirring as I haven't touched them in many years. One is Humbrol 11 French Blue that I bought 30 years ago, the other is Xtracolour RAF Roundel Blue.
I am missing some white paints but they may be somewhere under the mess that is my workbench  :rolleyes:

scooter

Quote from: Nick on March 12, 2024, 05:35:06 AMThis Panda is a bit on the small size  ;D
Feels like I'm putting it on rather than getting into it. It goes fast with a very buzzy little engine like a go kart and takes corners with an alarming lean!

I had that once with a Geo Metro when my Tahoe was in the shop.  It was like getting in and out of a circus clown car
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Nick

This car is going to cast about £600 to fix - garage reckons its the fuel pressure and the official Nissan parts are £1000  :o 
I'm not paying that for an 8 year old car that is not exactly top of the range.
So we're going with a refurbished part that need delivery.
Fingers crossed I'll have it back next week.

Hovercraft. I should have allowed more time for the smaller parts and test fitting. If you build this do paint and fit the funnel last. The fans are a very tight fit once it's all painted...

I really should have taken a close look at the decals when I opened the box because they are mis-printed. Badly. Email sent to Airfix for a replacement.  :banghead:

Won't be ready for tomorrows club meeting but should be OK for the model show next weekend.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on March 13, 2024, 03:20:50 PMWon't be ready for tomorrows club meeting but should be OK for the model show next weekend.

Looking forward to seeing it  :thumbsup:

Hope the car gets sorted during the week. BBC Breakfast were talking about the increasing cost of car repairs this morning and it was frightening.

kitbasher

🤞 car sorted soon, Nick, and at a sensible price.  Been there myself in the past.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Nick

The car seems to have been fixed. Went back last week because the warning lights came on after the repair and booked it in for Tuesday night for a follow up. Over the weekend it cured itself and as of now all the noises and warning lights have stopped.
I think that adding a litre of oil helped a fair bit, as did some fresh fuel from a different garage.

I started again on the Frog Sea Venom tonight and it's a pig. The plastic does not work with Revell Contacta glue so I'm trying cheapo superglue. It's a bit disappointing to have the parts fall apart as you sand them.

Then I found that the canopy does not fit. It's far too short. It's possibly from a different kit like a Vampire or Mosquito. If anyone has a spare please let me know.

PR19_Kit

The FROG Venom canopy is asymmetric, the Pilot's side is bulged upward compared to the Nav's side, and it was pretty badly moulded even when it was new.

Maybe your vendor put the wrong canopy in there if it looks like a Vampire or Mossie one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Glad the cars sorted Nick  :thumbsup:

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 27, 2024, 03:28:09 PMThe FROG Venom canopy is asymmetric, the Pilot's side is bulged upward compared to the Nav's side, and it was pretty badly moulded even when it was new.

Maybe your vendor put the wrong canopy in there if it looks like a Vampire or Mossie one.

That it is certainly the wrong one. Can't complain too much as it was a freebie!

The Wooksta!

The Frog Sea Venom canopy was awful to begin with. I might have a spare vacform one, I'll have a look.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic