Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 28, 2024, 04:55:59 AMThe Frog Sea Venom canopy was awful to begin with. I might have a spare vacform one, I'll have a look.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Nick

Two weeks until I head off to Perth for the Scots Nats. I need to finish up a few kits before then as I don't like taking the same models to shows year after year. I have plenty of stalled projects on the table, I just need to pick 2 that I can be happy with.

SAAF Hawker Hunter is one of them as I've started the paint process.
Then it's a choice between the Maltese Falcon, the tiny F-111, or an MS.406.

Gondor

Is that the same F-111 that you bought at the show last year? If so that would be a good one to finish and bring full circle.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Nick

My mojo went walkabout last week. The Hunter needs a lot more work than I realise and it's not ready for display. Have to finish it when I get back from Scotland.

Need to finish packing and load the car tomorrow, stop at my sisters for a night and be in Perth for Friday afternoon.

See you all there.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on April 24, 2024, 03:13:11 PMMy mojo went walkabout last week.

Hopefully catch it up on the way to Perth  ;)  Have a good time mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 25, 2024, 01:24:43 AM
Quote from: Nick on April 24, 2024, 03:13:11 PMMy mojo went walkabout last week.

Hopefully catch it up on the way to Perth  ;)  Have a good time mate  :thumbsup:
Unless it's gone to the Antipodean Perth. :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on April 25, 2024, 02:48:41 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 25, 2024, 01:24:43 AM

Unless it's gone to the Antipodean Perth. :wacko:

Same weather at the moment.  They are having rains.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

My plans for model making this weekend went out of the window on Friday night when Mum managed to fall over in the garden and upset 3 large flowerpots. She's fine.

I have spent Saturday and Sunday relaying the patio by lifting and digging and smoothing and re-laying several slabs that had become uneven over the years.
Then I had to:
put the big pots back where she wanted them
mow the grass
strim the edges
dig out the garden path
chop back the lilac tree
clear the weeds in the driveway
work out how to fix the broken drain cover.

I am knackered!

kerick

Quote from: Nick on June 09, 2024, 08:46:59 AMMy plans for model making this weekend went out of the window on Friday night when Mum managed to fall over in the garden and upset 3 large flowerpots. She's fine.

I have spent Saturday and Sunday relaying the patio by lifting and digging and smoothing and re-laying several slabs that had become uneven over the years.
Then I had to:
put the big pots back where she wanted them
mow the grass
strim the edges
dig out the garden path
chop back the lilac tree
clear the weeds in the driveway
work out how to fix the broken drain cover.

I am knackered!

Good to hear your mom is ok!
The "While you're at it, you might as while fix the ....." will definitely do that to you!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitbasher

1:1 scale diorama, then!  Pics please 😉😂

Glad all's OK with your mum.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Glad your mum's ok Nick, even if you are creamed  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

A photo of my garden. The offending slabs which I relaid are in front of the three flowerpots which are now upright again.

The green net over the frame is to stop the pigeons from eating the sweet peas which will eventually grow up it.

The arch at the back has roses up one side and clematis up the other. I spend a lot of time tying them back so we can walk under it!

NARSES2

Nice looking arbour "thingy" at the back Nick. I'm no gardener, but I do enjoy them.

Nick

Got back to the bench last night while on a Zoom chat with the club. It's a car competition next month so I got going on another concept car  :lol:

Corvette Indy - https://www.motortrend.com/news/1986-corvette-indy-concept-mid-engine-chevrolet-corvette-history/

Revell 1/25
I got this for a tenner years ago, think it was from the guys in pinnies at Telford. These kits now go for over £30 on Ebay  :-X

It's a lovely looking machine that resembles the Jaguar XJ220, being long, low and sleek.

Thing with car kits is that you need to paint most of it as you go along. Even as you build each component parts will need to be painted individually. Unless you are sure they cannot be seen from outside  ;) 
I'm probably not going to go full on with detail but I do see a fair bit of painting is required.

I put the chrome engine parts together last night and it looks good but it's not chrome shiny silver in real life. It's a typical engine with grey and black parts.

I did have a hiccup with the wheels last night. Put a couple together - 3 parts each, chrome hub, plastic inner hub and rubber tire. But they didn't fit too well. Had a closer look at the instruction which, being American made are in English with details of each part.  :thumbsup:

It helpfully tells you that the front wheels are 180, the rear wheels are 170, and the hub parts are sized to match. So I had to start that part again. All 4 wheels are ready to go! But the rubber tires need sanding to remove the central mould seam - I have learnt that it's best to freeze them to make them hard enough for the sandpaper.

The big question is what colour I want this in. The prototype was originally Silver and then Torch Red. Or I could say it went into production and pick my own shade  ;D

kerick

Just be sure to make a bracket for the alternator so it's not hanging out in space by the belt! Every car kit I've ever seen had that goofy part.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise