Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Still pressing on with the Silver Spitfire. I don't think I'll be buying another AZ Spitfire. In creating these multi-purpose moulds the kit is a jack-of-all-models and not a shining example of one type.

I had to cut off the blunt wingtips in order to put on some that are more rounded. Thank goodness I have a saw for that straight cut. AZ could have left the wing ends open and simply let us put whichever wingtips we wanted on.

I've used a fair amount of putty in gaps that you'd expect from a much older kit.
The instructions are printed in colour on decent paper and in English using Humbrol paint numbers. But it's hard to make out the details of the smaller sub assemblies. As a result my pilots seat is too low in the cockpit. It took me 5 minutes to work out what I'd made with step 14 and where it went on the aircraft (engine air intake, below the engine).

Nick

Well, I had a quick PSR session to remove the worst of the gaps late last night. It doesn't look so bad in daylight.

This morning I got the tiny parts like pitot tube and radio aerial and landing gear legs stuck on. Stuck the canopy down and taped over it and sprayed the primer on.

Tonight I should be able to do the first coat of Ford Moondust Silver. I was going to use Halfords Aluminium but that's just too flat and matt.

The Wooksta!

I think it depends on the can, as I've had several that were really shiny.

Wasn't one that interested me. For some reason, most preserved flying warbirds leave me cold.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Nick

I have to say I am happy with Ford Moondust Silver - I think I had a Focus this colour! Did a test spray and the Alu is a bit duller. I'm only doing this Spitfire because my club has a Metal Guru competition.

It's not the highly reflective chrome as appears on the actual bird because that means using Alclad which I haven't time for. But it is shiny enough to grab a magpies eye  :thumbsup:

The exhaust stubs look suitably burnt/rusty thanks to a blend of gun metal and dark earth. When I get home tonight I need to paint the yellow tips on the prop and fit that along with the main wheels.

Also need to paint the black anti-glare panel around the cockpit. Most kit makers would have this as a decal. Thankfully there's not too many for this bird.

And at some point I need to put some photos up for you lot to admire  ;D

Nick

Photo of the Silver Spitfire, work in progress

https://flic.kr/p/2om9SnH

You cannot view this attachment.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Thinking now of the 1950s GB. I have a lot of choice in my stash, more than I originally thought. Decisions, decisions.....

The obvious one is the Glencoe Space Rocket - it just screams 1950s sci-fi movie.

Next on the shelf are a pile of Luft46 kits - various Me262 designs and an odd flying wing thing I got in Prague.

There's an Emhar F3H Demon that may be too far started to be eligible. Need to dust off the box and check.

I've been threatening to do a Shackleton for a long time now, this may be the year  :rolleyes:

But first it's Mothers Day this Sunday and I have promised to take her out tomorrow for plant shopping. I might even have to cook lunch on Sunday too!

Nick

Only realised last night that I hadn't got a build thread in the 1950s GB. I thought I had but maybe I forgot to hit send when I did it. Who knows?

It's in there now and for those who haven't looked, I'm building an Emhar F3H Demon and a Hasegawa Tiger. One of these will be French. If I can find the decal sheet. One could be Aussie as I found a full A-4 sheet this morning.

My storage method has gone a bit awry. Last week I went out and bought some more Wet n Dry sandpaper because I was on my last sheet. I moved a box this morning and under it was a full pack I'd forgot about.  :banghead:

I know I have decals for former USSR nations and a post-WW2 China - Can I find them? Nope. Must be somewhere in the pile or a random box somewhere  :banghead:

kerick

I finally broke down and put all my decals in document protectors and a three ring binder. Soooo much easier!

You'll use the sand paper sooner or later.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Nick

Quote from: kerick on June 01, 2023, 11:41:00 AMI finally broke down and put all my decals in document protectors and a three ring binder. Soooo much easier!

You'll use the sand paper sooner or later.

That is what I do with mine. Except for these particular sheets.... But now I have found them! Into the ring binder they shall go!  ;D

I also found some more sandpaper! I now have 30 A5 sheets of paper in varying grades. Should last me into next year.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on June 01, 2023, 10:45:05 AMMy storage method has gone a bit awry. Last week I went out and bought some more Wet n Dry sandpaper because I was on my last sheet. I moved a box this morning and under it was a full pack I'd forgot about.  :banghead:

Welcome to the AAM - Association of Aged Modellers  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 02, 2023, 05:46:10 AM
Quote from: Nick on June 01, 2023, 10:45:05 AMMy storage method has gone a bit awry. Last week I went out and bought some more Wet n Dry sandpaper because I was on my last sheet. I moved a box this morning and under it was a full pack I'd forgot about.  :banghead:

Do we get a badge to wear?
Doesn't matter, I'd forget to wear it in any case  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on June 02, 2023, 07:07:04 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 02, 2023, 05:46:10 AM

Do we get a badge to wear?
Doesn't matter, I'd forget to wear it in any case  ;D

We did have a badge but Health & Safety said we had to find an alternative to using a sharp pin to attach it with and we are struggling for alternatives  :angel:

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng