Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Home from Telford1 Got in late Monday night after some birthday and Christmas shopping in the town.

Stopped off at the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas for a short wander round. It's changed a lot since I was last there 10 years ago with a new large visitor centre, café, guided tours and a heck of a lot more memorials.

Models - I haven't done anything since I got back. Still need to unpack my stuff!
I've decided that using the toolbox for transporting both finished models and spare tools isn't going to work, it's just too big and clunky. Back to using a couple of suitably sized plastic containers I think.

The 208 Sqdn black Tomcat was good, need to tidy up some of the paintwork around the landing gear and remember to do the tailhook in silver/grey. Not so sure about the silver inside the canopy but it's too late now.

The SR.53 I am not happy with. I plan to strip it down and start again with the same blue and silver scheme but using a blue spray paint instead of the brush painting. I have spare decals from the other 2 SR.53 kits I picked up at Telford.

Radish

Luckily we live close to the Arboretum at Alrewas and try to visit at least once a week for a walk, a coffee and a chat to friends there.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

NARSES2

Haven't been to the Arboretum for 5 years or so, it's not the easiest place to get there by public transport. Must try and sort something out next year.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

What happens to clear parts if you spray them with oven cleaner?
Will they clean off easy or go foggy or melt?

Rheged

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2018, 07:12:18 AM
What happens to clear parts if you spray them with oven cleaner?
Will they clean off easy or go foggy or melt?

It depends a lot on the precise brand of oven cleaner and the material used in the clear part.  I'd suggest spraying a bit of old clear sprue as a test run before attacking a major structure.  Others here will no doubt be able to suggest which cleaner is best......and probably from bitter experience.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

I've soaked clear parts in caustic soda solution and as far as I can remember they came out OK.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I to have used caustic soda in the past without a problem, although I seem to remember being very nervous and constantly washing them and re-coating them again until they were clean enough. I normally use the good old toothpaste trick, although it needs to be proper toothpaste and not gel.

Testing them on an old piece of sprue would show any drastic damage, but probably not any likely simple surface damage to clarity etc. Best to use an old canopy that you don't currently need I would have thought.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

I've never dipped my parts in caustic soda.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on November 17, 2018, 02:17:11 AM

So those old stories about officer initiation rites aren't true then ?  ;D

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 17, 2018, 02:22:38 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on November 17, 2018, 02:17:11 AM

So those old stories about officer initiation rites aren't true then ?  ;D

I said I've never dipped - others may have.  In the Navy, certainly!  :rolleyes:
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Steel Penguin

do a check on any oven cleaners you use, if they contain limonene  they may not be particularly healthy for clear parts,  its the "safer" solvent in the more "child safe" glues, id advise dipping some spare clear sprue in to test if you have any of the same type.  Just to be careful

My normal warning concerning sodium hydroxide ( NaOH)  and its happy ability to eat flesh down to the bone not withstanding  model parts are darned hard to replace  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

zenrat

It can eat the bone too.  I was using it to clean the flesh off a bird skull (I had that Budgie LP cover in mind) but forgot about it.  When I remembered there was nothing left...

But yeah, gloves, goggles, apron or old clothes, add crystals to water not vice versa and remember to let the solution cool before putting your parts in unless you want them warped.
:o

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 17, 2018, 04:31:10 PM

But yeah, gloves, goggles, apron or old clothes, add crystals to water not vice versa and remember to let the solution cool before putting your parts in unless you want them warped.
:o

I learnt that lesson the hard way at school. After Mr Brock (good name for a chemistry master  ;)) had sorted things out, he sorted me out. Couldn't sit down for the rest of the day  :rolleyes:

I got a good pair of safety gloves and googles from one of the foundries I used to visit, but I'd still be very, very careful.

Nick

Thanks for the chemistry warnings chaps. It's only Fairy Power Spray so I will be safe enough squirting it into a sealed plastic bag.

I have a piece of the clear sprue to try it out on so that'll be a thing for tonight. It's actually from the kits I bought last week but it's all the same.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on November 18, 2018, 03:06:23 AM

I have a piece of the clear sprue to try it out on so that'll be a thing for tonight. It's actually from the kits I bought last week but it's all the same.

I must admit testing it on a piece of sprue will only, in my opinion anyway, show if it will cause major damage ? Using it on a canopy which is both thinner and has clarity might not result in the same result ?

Hopefully I'm being over cautious.