Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on December 15, 2020, 07:21:00 AM

3)Can I second Zenrat's comment about tidying paperwork expanding to over-fill the time available.......but it does need cleared occasionally.  I wish I was as brave as General Allenbrooke, who cleared and unanswered paperwork into the bin at the end of every day.   He reckoned that only about 2% of it ever came back to haunt him.

I knew a senior British Steel manager who reckoned he ignored all internal and external comms' (this was in the days when it was all typed, remember those ?) on the basis that if the writer seriously wanted whatever the letter/memo was about they'd send it again. I was never really convinced this was true as basically he had a secretary ( remember those as well ?) who went through his incoming mail. I soon learnt who the important person in that office was  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 15, 2020, 07:31:39 AM

3)Can I second Zenrat's comment about tidying paperwork expanding to over-fill the time available.......but it does need cleared occasionally.  I wish I was as brave as General Allenbrooke, who cleared all unanswered paperwork into the bin at the end of every day.   He reckoned that only about 2% of it ever came back to haunt him.

I knew a senior British Steel manager who reckoned he ignored all internal and external comms' (this was in the days when it was all typed, remember those ?) on the basis that if the writer seriously wanted whatever the letter/memo was about they'd send it again. I was never really convinced this was true as basically he had a secretary ( remember those as well ?) who went through his incoming mail. I soon learnt who the important person in that office was  ;)

Every office has one person who can be relied on to keep the whole system going.  Identify them (both in other peoples offices and your own) and treat them well and life is much more enjoyable
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on December 15, 2020, 07:38:58 AM

Every office has one person who can be relied on to keep the whole system going.  Identify them (both in other peoples offices and your own) and treat them well and life is much more enjoyable

Exactly!  :thumbsup:

My Service Administrator, Donna, was one like that. I was SO glad I hired her when I did, she made the whole place revolve around the Service Dept. whether they realised it or not.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: Nick on December 15, 2020, 01:29:46 AM

Now that London is in Tier 3 I'll be furloughed for another 2 weeks (starting tomorrow) which means I don't go back to work until next year so more time to build models :thumbsup:

1) The Avia has turned out well!!

4) Enjoy your enforced leisure; I'm looking forward to seeing a RAAF Tornado.

1) Thanks for your support.

4) I spoke too soon on that one. Work have decided that my little section will remain open to serve a third party company with about 30 passengers a day. Every other part of our business is closed.
I'm trying to think of a way to express clearly to my manager that I don't appreciate being forced to go to work at a time of increased risk of catching Covid, for a bare minimum of people, without using the phrase 'something OFF'.  :banghead:

JayBee

[/quote]
1) Thanks for your support.

I'm trying to think of a way to express clearly to my manager that I don't appreciate being forced to go to work at a time of increased risk of catching Covid, for a bare minimum of people, without using the phrase 'something OFF'.  :banghead:
[/quote]

Just tell him you are going to refer him to HM Government, or alternatively tell him to **** OFF!

Good luck Nick.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Nick

Not sure what got into me last night apart from a very large rum and coke and some glue fumes but I seem to have ordered some helicopter kits from Hannants.  :unsure: :lol:

Specifically, the Special Hobby AH-1G Cobra triple pack with no decals.  ;D

I'm building the Matchbox (Mistercraft rebox) Arctic Cobra AH-1 right now and I've been influenced by pictures of a British Army Cobra in grey and green put on FB by Joe.
Australian Army is a definite but what colours? I might do one 1970s US green and one modern camo.

JayBee

Quote from: Nick on December 17, 2020, 11:21:39 AM

Australian Army is a definite but what colours?

The Patches scheme. No? Then how about the Patches scheme ?   :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

How about a commemorative WWII desert inspired scheme for a public display season ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Quote from: JayBee on December 17, 2020, 11:36:47 AM
Quote from: Nick on December 17, 2020, 11:21:39 AM

Australian Army is a definite but what colours?

The Patches scheme. No? Then how about the Patches scheme ?   :wacko:

It's such a great camo scheme I can't find any pics of it online!  ;D
Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 18, 2020, 06:14:56 AM
How about a commemorative WWII desert inspired scheme for a public display season ?

I like this idea - I used something similar for an RNZAF Skyhawk in WW2 Corsair colours.  :thumbsup:

Nick

I've started playing with Flickr for my photos. Much easier and friendlier to use than Photobucket.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Nice crisp photos Nick  :thumbsup: Glad the transfers went to good use

Nick

So it's now 2021 and we're back in lockdown which means I'm off work at least another month.  :thumbsup:

Me and Mum had a quiet Christmas and today I finally got the tree up...  ;D
..in the loft!  This year I put it away with the lights on.
Spent 3 hours up there tidying up and making space to move. Most of it is empty boxes so I shoved most of them into one corner and moved some things into appropriate sized boxes. Nice and neat for now.

On Sunday I cut down most of a laurel tree in the garden to give more light to the ferns in the back corner. The trunk is so thick I need a chainsaw to get thru it so we left it standing. I put a couple of large screwhooks into it to hang bird feeders on. Hopefully the Goldfinches and Robins will work it out.

My next job is to defrost the old freezer. Should only take a couple of hours tomorrow. As it's cold we'll put the food outside in boxes while I mop up the lake that will eventually form. Last time I did this I measured 3 litres of water, more than enough room for a few pizza!

I have moved nearly all my photos into Flickr. I'm sure there's a few broken links but no bother.

Modelbuilding has stalled for a bit, my mojo comes and goes.

kitbasher

Hey Nick.  Are you furloughed?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter