Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Been seeing a woodpecker in the tree behind my house all year. Unfortunately, it's always too far away to get a really decent pic with the camera lenses I've got.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Hope you said "Good Morning" to that Magpie Nick ?  ;) Neat photos mate  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Nick on January 08, 2021, 09:02:04 AM
You can see part of the arch that we put in the ground and trailed the rose up one side and the clematis (I thought it was a weed!) up the other.

The inability to tell the difference between most flowers and weeds has got me out of gardening for most of my juvenile and adult life  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Weeds are just flowers growing in the wrong place.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 10, 2021, 03:27:54 AM

Descartes or Voltaire perhaps ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Flowers are weeds that have had a makeover... and better PR...

There again, a weed is something we haven't yet found a commercial use for...

TheChronicOne

It may be my own more personal take on the term, but, as far as I'm concerned a 'weed' is simply any plant that is in a place you don't want it to be. What otherwise would be a part of a glorious Bermuda lawn, if in the flower bed, gets yanked (is Bermuda grass normally considered a weed? I consider it one if it's in with my Irises!). What otherwise would be a prize winning rose bush, in the middle of a cornfield, could be a weed, too.  ;D  Over the years many of the weeds I'd pull from flower beds were things like tiny trees starting to grow or the starts of other ornamental plants.As I said, this could just be my own interpretation, I'm wrong, and scientifically it's more focused than this, but I'm sticking with my definition.  :angel:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 10, 2021, 07:32:24 AM

Descartes or Voltaire perhaps ?  :angel:

Mrs z.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 15, 2021, 11:00:59 PM
It may be my own more personal take on the term, but, as far as I'm concerned a 'weed' is simply any plant that is in a place you don't want it to be.

Y'know, that works too.  :thumbsup:

McColm

Quote from: Nick on January 07, 2021, 04:19:52 PM
Today, that is Thursday, which I thought was Wednesday and really baffled myself over why episode 4 of 5 Winter Walks was being shown then because if episode 1 was on Monday then surely today should be episode 3 but no I seem to have missed out on Monday. It is now Friday but very early as it's taken me so long to write this.  :banghead:
Errr I was going somewhere with this....  :-\

Oh yeah, I built an arch for the garden. 35 pieces of cheap metal pipe held together with a lot of cheap screws. Quite wide and it is supposed to be 2m tall but is more like 2.5 metres. Tomorrow, or later today as it is now Friday AM, I have to stick it in the garden and train the rose bush to climb up it.
Not sure how you train a plant but as I assume you use a chair and whip as a rose bush has spiky things like a lion has teeth  :wacko:
You can use garden ties, just loop them around the stem of the roses and leave a gap before twisting closed or you can use string/twine. 

Nick

This week I has mostly been watching The Fast Show.... and finishing a kit!  :thumbsup:

As part of my clubs Paint It Black competition I was working on the venerable X-15 produced by Revell in 1959, in the uncommon box scale of 1/64. It's actually a half-decent slammer kit if you ignore the various moving parts and glue them all in place. The seam lines and sanding weren't too bad but the clear parts didn't really fit in the canopy windshield so that looks a bit odd. The actual canopy is not glued in as it's a tight fit so I can go back later if I work out how to do the glass right.

Pictures will follow later. I was going to put them up last night but the Tube was severely delayed on my way home from work due to a trespasser on the tracks and I was too tired.

Nick

North American X-15
Revell 1/64 kit

kitbasher

Very nice.  :thumbsup:

Kit will say it needs bigger wings!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on April 06, 2021, 03:12:18 AM

Kit will say it needs bigger wings!

I didn't notice that it had any at all!  :o

A pair the size of a B-52's should do the job................  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Come out well Nick. :thumbsup:

It's older than you isn't it ?  ;)