Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I got another one done! My Cannonball 2000 Texas State Trooper GT90 is now complete. You can see the results over here: https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49168.15
It looks great at arms length but up close  :rolleyes:

I actually need to give it a coat of polish but I want to let the paint and decals dry thoroughly first. Should be good by next week.

When I put the pics on my clubs FB page the Comp Sec told me it was going in this months Open Comp! I hadn't realised we were having one!  ;D

Now to tidy my desk a little and finish something else. Might have a beer first.  :cheers:
I had some 1066 Lager while down in Sussex on Sunday and it wasn't too bad. Trouble is it's only sold in that area and I'm not going there for a while.

Nick

I've slowed down a bit on modelling now. Finally felt the urge to tidy up my room and sort out all the paperwork that's been gathering in a bag for years.
Nothing that looks majorly important now but might be in a few years time so I put the chaff in the recycling bin, stuff with my name on into secure document disposal at work, and filed the rest under the bed  :wacko:

Dumped some magazines and the rest need filing. I have a lot of old IPMS UK mags looking for a new home, all issues 2013-2020. It's a shoebox full of heavy paper...

My Dad is having good and bad days - spoke to him on Sunday and he was watching Three Billboards which is not the way to cheer yourself up. Thankfully he has made an offer on a retirement flat so fingers crossed that will go through by September. It's been empty for several months as nobody wanted to move during the lockdown. Accordingly it dropped in price by 10% too  :thumbsup:

Not been anywhere since last December and it's getting to me. I'm planning a camping trip to Hay on Wye at the end of August. I bought new boots and a tent in the sales this last year so I want to try them out. I should come home with lots of books  ;D

Rheged

Quote from: Nick on July 06, 2021, 11:11:59 AM

Not been anywhere since last December and it's getting to me. I'm planning a camping trip to Hay on Wye at the end of August. I bought new boots and a tent in the sales this last year so I want to try them out. I should come home with lots of books  ;D

I'm only 10 miles from Hay, but at the end of August I will be in Carlisle checking up on my mum (95) and mother in law (93).   If by any chance we can get dates to coincide, I'll buy the coffees at Shepherds Ice Cream Parlour!!   Hay is the ultimate book town, so be prepared to part withsome cash and weigh yourself down with books.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

Quote from: Nick on July 06, 2021, 11:11:59 AM...he was watching Three Billboards which is not the way to cheer yourself up.
Quite, but nonetheless a very very well acted film indeed. In comparison to the other 95% Hollywood churns out, this one is magnificent.

I really need to see Nomadland, methinks..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Nick

Quote from: Rheged on July 06, 2021, 12:12:37 PM

I'm only 10 miles from Hay, but at the end of August I will be in Carlisle checking up on my mum (95) and mother in law (93).   If by any chance we can get dates to coincide, I'll buy the coffees at Shepherds Ice Cream Parlour!!   Hay is the ultimate book town, so be prepared to part withsome cash and weigh yourself down with books.

That sounds like a plan! It's likely to be 28th August to 1 September. I first went to Hay back in 1997 and have been back several times since, never leaving empty handed!

I'm sure you know of that great bookshop opposite Carlisle Cathedral  ;)

Rheged

Quote from: Nick on July 06, 2021, 01:21:56 PM
Quote from: Rheged on July 06, 2021, 12:12:37 PM

That sounds like a plan! It's likely to be 28th August to 1 September. I first went to Hay back in 1997 and have been back several times since, never leaving empty handed!

I'm sure you know of that great bookshop opposite Carlisle Cathedral  ;)

Aaaaagh!   Much regret that your dates are when I'm in Carlisle.  Never mind, I'm sure that some date  things will coincide.

Yes, I do know Bookends in Carlisle.   I've been buying books and maps from Steve Matthews for more than 40 years, ever since he started out in an old terraced building opposite the bus station. Both original shop and bus station are long gone, but the bookshop is still flourishing. It has a good cafe attached to it nowadays.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Oh I don't count then  ;)

No, I know how it is Nick. I'm really looking forward to be able to go travelling again, but iit doesn't look as though it will be before 2022 at best  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

I may have shot myself in the foot with my latest building plan. My foot actually hurts when I walk on it but that's another matter. I think it's the old Plantar Fasciitis which wears off after a while but takes ages to get better. Need to buy better shoes.  :angry:

For the Recce build I'm going big with a 1/72 Shackleton. Plan A was to do the FROG MR2 kit in Argentine Air Force colours as the natural follow-on from the Lancaster and Lincoln - I have the suitable Blackbird Decals for those.

After reading horror reviews and staring at the old FROG kit for a while - 154 rivets, 155 rivets, 156.... :o  and some minor persuasion from Wooksta I went out today and bought the Airfix AEW2 kit for £30. It's a beauty and includes 48 separate decals for the propeller tips   :lol:
So I am now on Plan B. The story now is they get the MR2 in the 50s and turn them into AEW2 in the 70s like the RAF.

This gives me another problem. The markings I have are OK for a 1950s machine like a Lancaster or Lincoln. The AEW2 version first flew in 1972 and by then the markings had changed a bit but I'm not sure how much. That little armed spat in 1982 makes life very difficult when researching Argentine aircraft camouflage as you get sucked into the black hole around it.

Naturally their naval aircraft look much nicer - I do like the overall Gloss Dark Blue with the national colours on the tailfins. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/blackbird-models-bmd72048-argentine-neptunes-and-skyvan--1306456

Does anyone have a good source (online or book) on Argentine aircraft numbering and schemes and camouflage between WW2 and 1982?

Mossie

The blue green one is a bit garish but it'd catch the eye.

Wings of the Malvinas: The Argentine Air War Over the Falklands. Covers the war period from the Argentinian point of view. It's also known as Wings of Courage.  It's out of print and is pricey but you might be able to order a copy through your library. I don't have it to give you an honest  review but I remember having a look in a bookshop and there being plenty of profiles.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Wings palette has a function we're you can search by nation:
http://wp.scn.ru/en/cat/opers/america/91

You can also search by conflict:
http://wp.scn.ru/en/cat/wars/ww3/10
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Nick

Thanks for the help lads. It's still as clear as mud and that book is hard to find. I'm leaning towards all-over glossy DSG like the RAF birds had on the grounds that the MR2s went back to the UK for rebuild and repainting to RAF standard.

In other news: I am self-isolating for the next 4 days.
The Covid app pinged just now and says I've been in close contact with someone who has Covid so no going anywhere for the next 4 days. Must have been somebody on the Tube for me to have been near them for more than 15 minutes. Typically this is happening at the start of my 'shift weekend' so I only gain one extra day off.

I already took today off work because my left heel is very sore - it hurts when I put weight on my left foot. Just got to rest it for a few days.

kitbasher

Pings can only get better, Nick.

As with the Argentine Lancasters maybe just go with RAF colours for the Argentinian Shack?

IIRC many, many years ago SAM included some Lanc or Lincoln Argentinian markings.  They deffo did Egyptian markings so maybe I'm thinking of them?  Will delve and if I have some would you like them?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Nick

Quote from: kitbasher on July 19, 2021, 12:20:57 PM
Pings can only get better, Nick.

As with the Argentine Lancasters maybe just go with RAF colours for the Argentinian Shack?

IIRC many, many years ago SAM included some Lanc or Lincoln Argentinian markings.  They deffo did Egyptian markings so maybe I'm thinking of them?  Will delve and if I have some would you like them?

Thanks for the offer. If you think you can find it I'd like to know what they look like.

The Wooksta!

Definitely the same sheet, Egyptian and Argentinian Lancasters.  Hannants pretty much copied it for an Xtradecal sheet a few years back.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Nick

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 19, 2021, 02:51:14 PM
Definitely the same sheet, Egyptian and Argentinian Lancasters.  Hannants pretty much copied it for an Xtradecal sheet a few years back.

Xtradecal did a sheet with Canada, Egypt and Argentina. Not available now and I've got more Argie markings on the Blackbird sheet anyway. Are those standard RAF letters?
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/xtradecal-x72062-avro-lancaster--191385