Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Batplane!

I had an urge a few years ago to build something in a 'If Batman was British' vein, inspired by an acquaintance's Batman collection and the 1940 Batplane.  Never happened, getting tempted again and it's all your fault, Nick!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Captain Canada

Quote from: Nick on October 13, 2022, 04:53:20 PM5 minute walk from Barbican station and there's a few good pubs nearby.

Yes !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on October 25, 2022, 10:55:45 AMIt's SMW time at Telford in just under 3 weeks.

Plastic glasses
Drink

Not sure where you get three weeks from ? I'm travelling two weeks tomorrow  :-X

Got the plastic tumblers this morning (25 of them) and will get a bottles of red in Shrewsbury on Friday.  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

This Hunter is looking very good. One slight drawback of using 2mm ball bearings as noseweight is that they rattle if not glued in  ;D  Thankfully there's no way for them to fall out.

I've not put all the tiny aerials on because they are too small to pick up, I've lost half of them to the carpet monster, and the Saffies would have had their own special radio fit. Yah.

On the table is an M5 Halftrack from Plastic Soldier . This I want to get done for both our Logistics GB and for my clubs Halftrack GB competition on Thursday. It's a wargaming model but I'm going all pacifist with mine....

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on November 05, 2022, 09:17:41 AMOn the table is an M5 Halftrack from Plastic Soldier . This I want to get done for both our Logistics GB and for my clubs Halftrack GB competition on Thursday. It's a wargaming model but I'm going all pacifist with mine....

I can just see that in blue with "Pop Larkin's Go Anywhere Delivery Service" emblazoned on the side  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: Nick on November 05, 2022, 09:17:41 AMThis Hunter is looking very good. One slight drawback of using 2mm ball bearings as noseweight is that they rattle if not glued in  ;D  Thankfully there's no way for them to fall out.

I've not put all the tiny aerials on because they are too small to pick up, I've lost half of them to the carpet monster, and the Saffies would have had their own special radio fit. Yah.

On the table is an M5 Halftrack from Plastic Soldier . This I want to get done for both our Logistics GB and for my clubs Halftrack GB competition on Thursday. It's a wargaming model but I'm going all pacifist with mine....

Rattling ballast is a good thing.  It keeps anyone picking the model up on their toes.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 06, 2022, 01:46:39 AM
Quote from: Nick on November 05, 2022, 09:17:41 AMOn the table is an M5 Halftrack from Plastic Soldier . This I want to get done for both our Logistics GB and for my clubs Halftrack GB competition on Thursday. It's a wargaming model but I'm going all pacifist with mine....

I can just see that in blue with "Pop Larkin's Go Anywhere Delivery Service" emblazoned on the side  ;D

There's a thought.... I was going with Steptoe and Son but Pa Larkin getting a halftrack instead of a Chevy truck works well. Need to match some Gentian Blue paint.

QuotePop Larkin climbed up into the cab of the gentian blue, home-painted thirty-hundredweight truck, laughing happily.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on November 06, 2022, 04:20:02 AMThere's a thought.... I was going with Steptoe and Son but Pa Larkin getting a halftrack instead of a Chevy truck works well. Need to match some Gentian Blue paint.

See not just a pretty face  ;)

Nick

Pop Larkins Halftrack is nearly complete. Just need to finish painting the benches, glue down the cargo (white glue) and paint LARKIN & Son on the sides.

You will see that Ma Larkin is wearing her very best pink dress while Pop has donned a natty red cap and scarf for their trip to the Village Fete. In the rear are the benches for the parish council and bins for the rubbish. The oil drums are black market fuel for a local farmer. The green drum is Larkin's home-made 'mostly apple' cider for sale at the fete  ;)

Just don't ask Pop where all the goodies came from. It's a bit awkward....

NARSES2

Nick

I have made some money today by selling some of my stash. Ordinarily I would have done this at the SMW Kitswap but that's gone for now. Instead I went to Hanslope for Model Market 9, arranged by Matt Irvine and Paul from Littlecars.
This was a very last minute thing as I only emailed them yesterday to ask about next years shows and Matt called me up to offer me a space that had just become available. In the end they gave me two, one for my kits and another for a load of Christmas stuff Mum was throwing out.

It's in a very small village hall in a village off the beaten track. Not that well advertised IMHO and consequently the 'rush' was about 20 people just after opening at 10am. Didn't sell a lot but despite all that I made just over £100 profit after paying out £15 for the table.

My next thing is to try selling on Ebay again. I have quite a few older kits, Matchbox and Airfix, that could get some serious bids because of rarity and boxing.

PR19_Kit

The Hanslope events are well worth trying, I've had a stall there 2-3 times and always came out with a profit.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

I'm off to Bolton this weekend!
Decided that as I wasn't going to Leeds aka Huddersfield Show this year then I might as well head up north a bit earlier this year.
I was slightly pushed by my boss telling me to use or lose the 3 days holiday I carried over from last year. 1 down, 2 more to choose from.

Haven't touched much model wise of late - the Christmas period really puts me off and the new job is quite demanding mentally. Not helped by my wanting to hibernate in the dark and cold winter.
On the bright side the days are getting shorter and this week I've seen sunrise on the way to work and it's been daylight while driving home.  :lol:

Pellson

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 10:08:35 AM...Not helped by my wanting to hibernate in the dark and cold winter.

There's a chap called "Jasper Fforde who's written a novel called "Early riser". I think that would be something for you.. 

You may also give a thought to why I liked it..  :angel:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Rheged

Quote from: Pellson on January 21, 2023, 02:29:29 PM
Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 10:08:35 AM...Not helped by my wanting to hibernate in the dark and cold winter.

There's a chap called "Jasper Fforde who's written a novel called "Early riser". I think that would be something for you.. 

You may also give a thought to why I liked it..  :angel:

Anything by Jasper Fforde  is worth reading!  His "Thursday Next"  series  is a  particular favourite of my elder son and his wife.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet