Nick's Notes

Started by Nick, November 03, 2013, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Quote from: Pellson on January 21, 2023, 02:29:29 PM
Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 10:08:35 AM...Not helped by my wanting to hibernate in the dark and cold winter.

There's a chap called "Jasper Fforde who's written a novel called "Early riser". I think that would be something for you.. 

You may also give a thought to why I liked it..  :angel:

Was it the British Rail class 48 leaving on time, the Welsh valley setting, the woolly mammoths roaming the frozen land or the license for gluttony before bedtime?  ;D

PR19_Kit

Class 48s? They were pretty thin on the ground, they only built five of them and AFAIK they never got as far as Wales.

[BR nerd mode off]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: Nick on January 24, 2023, 07:06:52 AM
Quote from: Pellson on January 21, 2023, 02:29:29 PM
Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 10:08:35 AM...Not helped by my wanting to hibernate in the dark and cold winter.

There's a chap called "Jasper Fforde who's written a novel called "Early riser". I think that would be something for you.. 

You may also give a thought to why I liked it..  :angel:

Was it the British Rail class 48 leaving on time, the Welsh valley setting, the woolly mammoths roaming the frozen land or the license for gluttony before bedtime?  ;D

:wub:

I love Ffordes writing. The Thursday Next series is easier to get in to than "Early Riser", but once in, the story is absolutely magnificent.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Only one of his i've read is The Constant Rabbit.
Enjoyed it.  Should check out some more but there are so many books and so little time...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 25, 2023, 02:58:53 AMEnjoyed it.  Should check out some more but there are so many books and so little time...

Aren't there just  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

My plans for Telford this year have changed slightly. Travelodge had a special offer over Christmas so I have booked a room in the same place as 2021. It's in the town centre just a 5 minute walk downhill to the show and 2 minutes from all the restaurants.

NARSES2

:thumbsup:

I'm in the Premier Inn again. Couple of minutes from the centre, a few from the restaurants and 20 mins to Telford and Shrewsbury General by ambulance  :angel:  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I'm at my daughter's place of course.  ;D 

Did you know she was the RAF''s best.............. Oh, you did, OK.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 05, 2023, 05:43:57 AM:thumbsup:

I'm in the Premier Inn again. Couple of minutes from the centre, a few from the restaurants and 20 mins to Telford and Shrewsbury General by ambulance  :angel:  ;)

I stayed there the last time I was at Telford, this time I am booked into the same place as Lee is and wondering how to get to the show in the mornings  :-\

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pellson

Now - when and where is Telford again? Not that I'm likely to make it, but because I'm curious.

PR19_Kit

11th & 12th November, and it's about 20-30 miles north west of Birmingham.

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 05, 2023, 10:37:40 AM11th & 12th November, and it's about 20-30 miles north west of Birmingham.

:thumbsup:  :wub:

Rheged

Quote from: Pellson on February 05, 2023, 12:29:54 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 05, 2023, 10:37:40 AM11th & 12th November, and it's about 20-30 miles north west of Birmingham.

Should you persuade Mrs P that a visit would be a good idea, the assembled multitude here can list all sorts of things that she might enjoy  during a visit. 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

Quote from: Rheged on February 05, 2023, 02:08:36 PM
Quote from: Pellson on February 05, 2023, 12:29:54 PM

Should you persuade Mrs P that a visit would be a good idea, the assembled multitude here can list all sorts of things that she might enjoy  during a visit. 

It is a lovely idea indeed, but considering my somewhat unforeseeable health status, I very rarely commit to something further away than a month.

Accordingly, I might chase you up in October..  :wacko:

Nick

This weekend I has mostly been scanning slides. Dad popped over last year and we had a session of looking at old photos. But that was using a 1960s projector that wouldn't show larger than A4..

In the middle of Lidl on Friday night I picked up a Slide and Negative Scanner for £40. All it really is is a plastic box holding a USB powered 8MP camera and an LED lightbox, with a set of manual slide holders. You feed the slides or negatives in, tweak the image for Brightness or Red/Green/Blue and save it.
Software is very simple and liable to fall over at a blink. Takes about 30 seconds per slide and I have 100+ to start with  ;D

Professional snappers sneer at these but when it comes to putting old family snaps onto a PC or tablet screen, it's ideal and low cost.