The Captain's Cabin- March on….

Started by Captain Canada, November 09, 2013, 05:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Interesting, is that an RN aggressor?

Glad to hear you're looking after yourself, I should motivate myself to follow your example.

Captain Canada

Yes it is. With a radar nose. Built it way back around 2004. I just grabbed a file that looked easy to manipulate lol.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rick Lowe

That's a cool marking idea if I ever do the Hawk 200 conversion I have half-planned.
Cheers!

Captain Canada

Cool. They are such lovely little machines, with so much potential !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Nice one! And now I know why Molson stocks are about to be taken off the TSE.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

I was sat here, working on my Twin 105, which is, and is going to be, alot of work. But hey, I enjoy this, right ? In between awaiting glue to set, I decided to pick away at other half starts and hangar queens. I dug out 4 Dragon Models 144th scale kits that were all half started, 2 F/A-18G and 2 Tornado GRs. The 2 Hornets were going to be RCAF Germany machines, from Baden. One in the traditional RAF camo, and one in ADV gray. Bombed up accordingly. The Tornados were both going in their natural habitat, both toting a pair of Storm Shadow, one with two under belly, the other with with two under wing. As I sat there, fiddling with undercarriage bits on these fiddly little things, I made the command decision......

With about three pages of half built and forgotten projects, I looked at them and wondered what I was planning on doing with them ? I had certainly lost interest, and realize that I'll never finish all of my stash before the cart passes the horse, so I scrapped them ! I broke off all the cool stuff ( missiles and tanks ) and the rest went into the bin. Melancholy for sure. But it's done, and the 105 is progressing.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Drastic decision Capt, but it's better then working at a kit just because it's there. You need to have a "feel" for the build(s) you are currently working on, at least I do anyways.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

I know why I just work on a single project/build at a time...  :angel:

Captain Canada

That's a great plan. I hope to get there one day !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Peace of mind is worth the price of admission. Now you'll never have those things nagging at the back of your mind and casting shadows across other projects. "Oh man, here I am working on this new thing but what about the old thing on the shelf?" Sometimes that sort of thinking causes the motivation to take a hit so I get it...     I know I've a time or two decided to get some bench time in only to cancel it because I convinced myself I needed to work on an old stalled build but seeing as there was no motivation at the time, the whole session was scrapped. Self sabotage of a sort. Bypassing all that turmoil is good for the soul.  :mellow:   I say that as I continue to squeeze the blood out of an over two year old stone that has turned into a Plasti-Queen Taskmaster of the more heinous variety.  :rolleyes:   (Looking at you, Saudi 737!!!!!!) 
-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

Moving right along. Mostly mucking about and flying by the seat of my pants, as there was no real plan other than build it, but we're getting there ! Going to be lots of filler and lots of fun lol. What would be the best hardware store type putty to use ?

I have been cutting up a 48th scale F-14 to fill in the top, some nice details on it to help me along the way.

4F10CBA2-C65B-4BB5-90F1-AA4D0E0FE8E4 by Todd Pomerleau, on Flickr
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rick Lowe

Cap'n, I use something from the Selleys range - Knead It - and I'm pretty sure it's fairly universal*. It comes in the one stick you simply cut a section off from and knead together.
As it's made for industrial use, it sets pretty quickly; about 5-10 mins to being able to rough-carve it to shape and rock (and I do mean 'rock') hard in 30 mins or so.
Wetting fingers and tools can help for initial application/shaping.

Files and sands nicely, but will clog the files and paper quickly. Holds basic detail well but can crumble if too thin.

I usually brush on a coat of clear floor polish to get rid of any tendency to porousness, but that's up to you.

*Actually, my Goggle-fu failed me and I can't find out whether it's available in your neck o'the woods, but something similar ought to be.

HTH

Captain Canada

Crazy how time flies. Buddy I work with had a heart attack ( Kurly, he used to visit here 20 years ago ! ) so I've been doing double duty plus since then. Most off time spent drinking or sleeping lol. Relaxing tonite with a few tins and started thinking of projects I have. Korean war extension idea with a flying boat supply route into the mountains.

Second pic is the wee Wasps. 1/600 scale from Shapeways. Some have aux. tanks ! Great little replicas. I need to source out PE rotors tho.

093EA756-7730-4EBA-91A1-AEEF0A8D84E8 by Todd Pomerleau, on Flickr
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?