The Captain's Cabin- March on….

Started by Captain Canada, November 09, 2013, 05:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 30, 2018, 07:43:14 AM
I ended up working for 3 weeks straight, with no plastic to fondle and little entertainment other than beer. :thumbsup:

Could have been worse. Might have been an area under prohibition  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 31, 2018, 06:38:18 AM
I ended up working for 3 weeks straight, with no plastic to fondle and little entertainment other than beer. :thumbsup:

You don't know the half of it Chris,  when we were looking for a nice little acreage (5 acres or so), we found just what we wanted near a town of Three Hills (it's 25 km away), we didn't take into account religion when we decided to buy the property (we found out later that the area is all bible orientated). But this town was a totally dry town, you couldn't buy a drink anywhere and anyone wanting to move to the town were screened by the counsel as to what your interests were.  But since we've been here (about 11 years now), the attituded has changed some, you can buy a drink with your meal at the restaurant now -----   and there is a couple of liquor stores now too  :o
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

I have experienced places like that both in the US and Canada mate and indeed the first time I went to Wales on a football tour back in the 60's we couldn't get a drink on a Sunday. Had to cross the border into another county in order to get one. Scotland may well have been the same back then ?

In my part of South London back then the Monday to Saturday pub hours were 10-30 to 2-30 and then 5-30 to 10-30. Cross the road to Lambeth and it was 11-00 to 3-00 and 6-00 to 11-00. You can imagine the rush across the road at 10-30  ;) Of course if you were drinking with a "meal" it was different again  :banghead: It was amazing what some pubs tried to classify as a meal  ;D

Totally different now of course.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

The sea level is rising , this might be from global warming or all those test holes the Captain has been drilling :banghead:

zenrat

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 31, 2018, 07:21:22 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 31, 2018, 06:38:18 AM

You don't know the half of it Chris,  when we were looking for a nice little acreage (5 acres or so), we found just what we wanted near a town of Three Hills (it's 25 km away), we didn't take into account religion when we decided to buy the property (we found out later that the area is all bible orientated). But this town was a totally dry town, you couldn't buy a drink anywhere and anyone wanting to move to the town were screened by the counsel as to what your interests were.  But since we've been here (about 11 years now), the attituded has changed some, you can buy a drink with your meal at the restaurant now -----   and there is a couple of liquor stores now too  :o

Amazon sell beer don't they?
:mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 06, 2018, 03:44:11 AM

Amazon sell beer don't they?
:mellow:

Do they ? I've never, ever thought about mail order beer. I've had wine delivered in my on-line grocery order before, but mail order beer ? Just sounds a bit odd to me. Showing my age I suppose ?

zenrat

In my old Post Office job I handled a lot of boxes of wine (only dropped one - communion wine so that's me straight to hell).  It's very commonly posted around the country.
No idea why people locally mail order it since The (Mornington) Peninsula is the best wine region in Australia and a good drop is only a short drive away.
Beer is less commonly posted but I occasionally see a box going through a post office.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 07, 2018, 04:58:51 AM
The (Mornington) Peninsula is the best wine region in Australia

I've certainly had a couple of nice bottles from the area  :thumbsup:

kitnut617

In my old Post Office job I handled a lot of boxes of wine (only dropped one - communion wine so that's me straight to hell).  It's very commonly posted around the country.
No idea why people locally mail order it since The (Mornington) Peninsula is the best wine region in Australia and a good drop is only a short drive away.
Beer is less commonly posted but I occasionally see a box going through a post office.

Coming off the KLM flight that comes in everyday to YYC, I regularly see huge cargo pallets fully loaded with beer from Europe.

NARSES2

I wonder how many of those go missing ?  Or do they go straight into a "Customs Bond" area ?

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 08, 2018, 02:18:20 AM
I wonder how many of those go missing ?  Or do they go straight into a "Customs Bond" area ?

Yes, straight over to the Customs warehouse Chris. 

Another thing I see a lot coming off big aircraft which have arrived from Europe ---- tires (tyres). Pallet loads of them.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 08, 2018, 03:32:36 AM

Another thing I see a lot coming off big aircraft which have arrived from Europe ---- tires (tyres). Pallet loads of them.

Now that really surprises me for some reason. Almost coals to Newcastle. Still an absolute perfect example of the Global Economy in action.

Old Wombat

I'd argue (vehemently ;D ) that the Barossa Valley & Coonawarra regions of South Australia are, by far, the best wine-making regions of Australia.

The McLaren Vale & Clare Valley regions' wines don't impress me, so I don't think I'm being parochial here.

Damn! I've sworn off thread drift & here I am nudging it along! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

You could argue that Guy.  Should you wish to be wrong...
;)
Fred

Captain Canada

On the road trying to kill time.....and it's working ! How about a Taiwanese Navy Bronco ?

Or should I say Super Bronco  :thumbsup:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?