The Captain's Cabin- March on….

Started by Captain Canada, November 09, 2013, 05:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

It always has been an issue for me as well. But enough is enough. Time to buckle down and stick to the plan ! I have threads on here going back to 2002 of unfinished projects, plus stuff from ' before time' on the old site !

:banghead:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Non modelling but a defo point of interest for aeroplane spotters, we're booking a vacation for the March Break. This will be my daughter's last year at home, as she will be in uni next year, so why not. Her, a friend the wife and maybe the FIL will be flying down, whilst the boy, his bud and myself will be driving. Probably with a bike or two in the back  :thumbsup:

Anyway, the plan is Okaloosa Island, FL. Okaloosa you say ? Never heard of it...well, neither had I. Until I googled it and found it smack dab in the middle of Pensacola, Eglin, and Hurlburt Field !

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :tornado: :bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Nowt done today. Late day of work, boys hockey, now home and a quick catch up on here and then to bed for another day of work. Good news is I have to drive to Toronto's Pearson Int'l to pick up cargo, so that means I can hit that hobby shop in Kitchener and see if they have any Airfix for me. Bad news is I have no money !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 06, 2015, 07:05:10 AM
whilst the boy, his bud and myself will be driving. Probably with a bike or two in the back  :thumbsup:

How long will that take you to drive Capt ? Virtually the entire length of the USA  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Anyway, the plan is Okaloosa Island, FL. Okaloosa you say ? Never heard of it...well, neither had I. Until I googled it and found it smack dab in the middle of Pensacola, Eglin, and Hurlburt Field !

Also known as the Redneck Riviera, Cap.

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 07, 2015, 05:09:08 AM
How long will that take you to drive Capt ? Virtually the entire length of the USA  :blink:

From New Jersey, its about a 22 hour drive, so figure about 30 plus hours on the road.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Now I just assumed it would take much longer then that. especially given US speed limits.

Cheers  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 07, 2015, 05:17:54 AM
Now I just assumed it would take much longer then that. especially given US speed limits.

Speed limits?  What are they? ;D  As long as you're speeding along with traffic, the cops generally are going to leave you alone.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

Non modelling but a defo point of interest for aeroplane spotters, we're booking a vacation for the March Break. This will be my daughter's last year at home, as she will be in uni next year, so why not. Her, a friend the wife and maybe the FIL will be flying down, whilst the boy, his bud and myself will be driving. Probably with a bike or two in the back  :thumbsup:

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :tornado: :bow:

Tons of cool stuff on display at Hurlburt Field! Home of Air Force Special ops. Aircraft from Vietnam on up. Pensacola of course has the Navy aircraft museum. Visit Destin for lots of touristy type stuff. Fort Walton Beach used to be the tourist site but everything moved over to Destin. There was a club called Nighttown for the younger crowd.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

Well that depends on which state you're in Chris, I've driven a stretch of road in Arizona where the speed limit is 85 MPH, then in Montana and Idaho and part of eastern Washington , there's stretches where the limit it 75MPH. Those states know how to get people moving around ----  :lol:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Only about 15 hours for us....straight South !

Thanks for the tips on what to see. Sure hope this happens !

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on February 07, 2015, 05:19:23 AM

Speed limits?  What are they? ;D  As long as you're speeding along with traffic, the cops generally are going to leave you alone.

A civilised approach to speed limits.  Someone should tell our highway cops about it.  Especially considering all new freeways are built to be safe for 140 km/hr speeds.
Mind you, they'd have to be maintained then.  Not left to deteriorate into cratered moonscapes.  The Victorian state government approach to road maintenance is to do nothing and when it becomes a safety issue put up yellow (advisory) signs proclaiming "Rough Surface - 80 km/hr".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

" go with the flow " usually works around here. Unfortunately our work trucks are set to 105 km/h, making normal 2 hour trips take 3  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 07, 2015, 08:30:34 AM

Well that depends on which state you're in Chris, I've driven a stretch of road in Arizona where the speed limit is 85 MPH, then in Montana and Idaho and part of eastern Washington , there's stretches where the limit it 75MPH. Those states know how to get people moving around ----  :lol:

Ah, thanks mate. I thought the US had a national speed limit of about 55mph, obviously wrong.

If you are driving in Montana or the Dakota's is there actually anything to hit apart from the odd Buffalo ? I was looking at some US census data recently (don't ask) and was stunned at how small some of these States populations are  :blink:

kerick

Population density is around 3 people per square mile in some places. Certain areas have had a population explosion with all the oil drilling going on. Please be careful of the wildlife. Some are bigger than your car.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 08, 2015, 06:57:29 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on February 07, 2015, 08:30:34 AM

Well that depends on which state you're in Chris, I've driven a stretch of road in Arizona where the speed limit is 85 MPH, then in Montana and Idaho and part of eastern Washington , there's stretches where the limit it 75MPH. Those states know how to get people moving around ----  :lol:

Ah, thanks mate. I thought the US had a national speed limit of about 55mph, obviously wrong.

Most States control their own speed limits, as do the Provinces here in Canada.

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 08, 2015, 06:57:29 AM

I was looking at some US census data recently (don't ask) and was stunned at how small some of these States populations are  :blink:

Around these parts it's like that, for instance -- Alberta is three times bigger in area than the UK (Ontario where Todd is, is five time bigger), but we only have a population of just under 4 million, and two cities here (Calgary, Edmonton) have around a million each which leaves the other two million scattered around the rest of the province but mostly located in the various little towns.  My nearest neighbours are a mile away to the north and east, and two miles away to the west and south

A bit of trivia: Canada is 28 times the size of the UK, Canada has almost the same area as what is now termed Europe, Canada's population is about 40 million ( about half of that live around the Great Lakes, a quarter live along each coast line and the other quarter scattered around the rest of Canada), Europe's population  ---- 670 million ----  which is more than all of North American population
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike