The Captain's Cabin- March on….

Started by Captain Canada, November 09, 2013, 05:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Canadian humour Kit    ;D ;D ;D   If, like the last few days, the temps have had a high of only -30C or -40C, your body starts to adapt to it. As soon as you get a warmer temperature, like it goes up to -20C, that's still a 20 degree increase and feels like it too, even though it's still in the negative.

It's warmer here at the moment too, -24C. I've been walking the dogs on a leash around the yard because we can only leave them out there for a few minutes, if we just let them out, they don't want to come in until it's too late. Each time I have to dress up the dogs and then myself, but when I get back inside, I start to overheat like crazy so have to strip everything off as quick as I can.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 15, 2020, 12:02:56 PM
I've been walking the dogs on a leash around the yard because we can only leave them out there for a few minutes, if we just let them out, they don't want to come in until it's too late.

I've never thought about things like that. I've had it the other way around when it's been to hot for dogs and the hosepipe or paddling pool has had to come out, which can lead to some rather funny moments.  ;D

So what sort of temperatures are the dogs comfortable with and at what point does it get to cold for them ? I am thinking of standard/working dogs rather than toy breeds.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 16, 2020, 05:39:00 AM

So what sort of temperatures are the dogs comfortable with and at what point does it get to cold for them ? I am thinking of standard/working dogs rather than toy breeds.

Well we don't have 'toy dogs'  ;D one is a cross between a pitbull and a Portuguese Cattle Dog, she's about 78 lbs. The other is a Maremma, Italian Sheep Dog (looks like a slimmer Pyrenees Mountain Dog) , he weighs just about the same as the other only he's a good 8" taller. The Maremma loves being out in the snow, he usually just lies in it. But the thing we watch for in any of our dogs we've had is their feet, if they start to stand 3-legged or even 2-legged, their feet are getting too cold. We watch to see how soon they start to do that, right now it's like almost immediately. 

To walk them, we have to dress them up, like this. Although the Maremma just gets the booties.

This is our pitbull cross (Bianca)

And this is the Maremma (Luca)

DogfighterZen

Couple of gorgeous things! :wub:

My boy is a mix of Rodhesian ridgeback with something else i haven't been able to identify cause i brought him home from work from the wine estate, where his stray mother had the litter. I think that maybe it's crossed with a German Shepherd because of the longer hair, not sure... He's never been in the snow but does love to go into the middle of the frozen bushes at 6.30 a.m. to do his business, before i go to work. :rolleyes:

And this is how he sleeps... ;D

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Cheers Robert. I knew you had big dogs, but didn't realise how big. Whilst married we had a Dobberman bitch (Sally) and she was big enough  ;D

Luca is gorgeous. Not a breed I was aware of, although you can see the similarity to a Pyrenean  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Lovely boy you have there 'Zen  :wub: Bianca is half Cão Fila de São Miguel, she's just a pile of muscle on four legs   ;D

Chris, bit of a fluke how we got Luca. We had lost Bianca's previous buddy kinda sudden, so we were looking for another dog to keep her company. Out of the blue we got a phone call from a friend I used to work with at the airport, he asked 'do you still have the one dog' which I said yes to. He then said 'do you want another'.  I said it depends on what it is and how old it is, we were looking for a puppy or something not much more than a year old. He said he didn't know what it was but it was a male, about 4 months old and big and white. Well I had an idea what a big and white dog might be because we look after a friend's female Maremma every now and then. So I said bring him over and see how he works out with our Bianca.

Cut the story short, they got on quite well. So we took him on. His history is a bit sad up to then though, he had been passed around quite a bit, we were the forth owners to take him on, so my thoughts were this would be the last time. When we first got him though he was half the size of Bianca.

DogfighterZen

But you did the right thing by keeping him, the poor thing. They're quite a pair, Bianca has the same hair pattern that my Boxer had. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

Good stuff Robert ! I sure miss my boys...

Banged off another job here, only -27 lol. I don't mind the cold, not the physicality of the job, but it's having everything freeze up....constant battle. Use steam to free it, then it freezes in seconds, repeat ! And not to mention glasses steaming/fogging/icing. And gloves freezing make sit hard to articulate some of the finer things....and touching metal with bare hands is dangerous.

0786A2B4-664D-4E36-AED0-1D23F8102C15 by Todd Pomerleau, on Flickr
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

I designed and drafted a couple of drilling rigs like that Todd --- for Nowsco and another which I think is called Premier

kerick

I thought my hands were going to break off today and it was just below freezing here! Stay strong and warm!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

dogsbody

Hey, Captain, are you still up here, on the Backside Of Beyond?

Chris, in Fort Mac.

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Still slaving away up here. Not much to report, but here's what I've been up to. Decided to turn new Harry into a GR.5. And I'm painting up my HMS Illustrious air wing. Decided to make 2 squadrons of F-35, and a Commando Merlin, and one of my AEW Sea Kings is in an Anniversary scheme.

6D66AB8D-65E3-457C-8427-67A7EE2C7212 by Todd Pomerleau, on Flickr
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Met up with Chris aka Dogsbody today in Fort Mac. Cheers mister !

I might have the Global Canadian World Record for meeting wiffers abroad lol

A103900B-2B56-4E93-BFCF-04CA764A73AA by Todd Pomerleau, on Flickr
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Wot!  Alberta's abroad   :o  We haven't separated yet Todd   ;D ;D ;D