The Captain's Cabin- March on….

Started by Captain Canada, November 09, 2013, 05:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

It's the Minicraft Electra. Very basic kit but a nice, easy build.

The Concorde was gifted to me from the estate of Aubrey Martin. He was my lovely wife's aunt's father. He was a military photographer during WWII, and spent the later part of the war following the RCAF Typhoons around.

I broke it down, glued it back together, and put that base coat of grey on. I liked the way it looked, like the Canadian Voodoos did when they had their temporary brown paint applied for exercises, so I added the roundels to take a few pics. I will be making her camo.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

I think I paid 3 dollars for this Airfix Comet at the local Goodwill store. Turned out it was missing the windscreen, but that's no big deal at this small scale. I made up little 'frame' pieces to add in, so that will hold the PVA in place when I add it.

Other mods :
-Canoe from Minicraft AWACs.
-AAR probe from styrene rod and tube and brace from spares box
-Wing pods are 48th scale bombs from the Testor's F-4 boxing
-Wingtips shaved down missiles of some sort.
-Fin is a piece of styrene sheet
-Fin tip pod is a drop tank from a matchbox Bf-110

Filled in the windows with putty.

She will be painted in the Barley grey scheme from the Nimrod.

318DA006-C0D4-4ADC-9ABD-87EE7697F2C5 by Todd Pomerleau, on Flickr
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

PR19_Kit

I like that a LOT Cap'n.  :thumbsup:

That Comet kit is a bear to build because of the crazy way the wings fit to the fuselage, and it's about time someone came out with a newer one, but I doubt they will. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Cheers guys. It's always fun digging through the spares box and gluing nits here and there !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

I agree with Kit, the Airfix Comet is a fight. Got one sitting on the bench, about 90% complete, for around 10 years, still haven't figured out what to do with it.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

McColm

Quote from: The Rat on October 25, 2020, 09:26:59 AM
I agree with Kit, the Airfix Comet is a fight. Got one sitting on the bench, about 90% complete, for around 10 years, still haven't figured out what to do with it.
Was there ever a 1/144 conversion set to turn it into a H.S. Nimrod MR.1?

PR19_Kit

Not that I know of, but Welsh Models did, and still do, a vacform 1/144 Nimrod.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

For sure we need a new one in 144th scale. Just love the shape of this machine !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

The latest Aeroplane Magazine shows a (very small) sketch of what the Comet might have looked like at one stage in its planning. The fuselage was pretty much the same but the wings AND tail were much more sharply swept.

That's given me some ideas of course, and there should be more details in next month's issue.  ;)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Like this perhaps ??????

At the beginning, it was planned to be an enlarged DH108, but that was changed so it had a traditional tail.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Yes, just like the 1947 version.  :thumbsup:

And very attractive (and buildable....) it looks too.  ;D

Regards
Kit

McColm

PR19_Kit

But much more swept, and the engines are underneath, with the intakes down below and the exhausts where the RW Comet's were.

Regards
Kit