The Rat's Nest

Started by The Rat, November 09, 2013, 11:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Quote from: zenrat on March 26, 2024, 03:26:48 AM
Quote from: kerick on March 25, 2024, 09:53:57 PMI built a spray booth out of the largest storage container I could find and a left over bathroom fan. I put a furnace filter in front of the fan to catch the paint mist.

Explosion proof fan?

:unsure:

Meh, a proper hobby room needs an occasional explosion. It clears the junk off of the bench.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Rick Lowe

Quote from: The Rat on March 26, 2024, 04:41:03 AM
Quote from: kerick on March 25, 2024, 09:53:57 PMI built a spray booth out of the largest storage container I could find and a left over bathroom fan. I put a furnace filter in front of the fan to catch the paint mist.

Explosion proof fan?

Meh, a proper hobby room needs an occasional explosion. It clears the junk off of the bench.  ;D

"Ah, New Hobby Room Smell!"

"Don't worry, just blow something up - that'll clear it right out!"

The Rat

Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 29, 2024, 03:19:16 PM
Quote from: The Rat on March 26, 2024, 04:41:03 AM

Explosion proof fan?

"Ah, New Hobby Room Smell!"

"Don't worry, just blow something up - that'll clear it right out!"

;D  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

Well, this sucks. Playing around with the Hobby Boss F-84E that I snagged last week, and the clear sprue is missing. I've contacted them about a replacement, we'll see if they're as good as Airfix.

The Rat

Update: they are most definitely NOT as good as Airfix. The kit cost me $12.99 Cdn, to get the replacement, plus shipping, has cost me $26.80!  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Next time, I will ask Randy if I can open the box and ensure that everything is in there.  :angry:

PR19_Kit

Why should it cost you ANYthing when they didn't include it in the kit in the first place?  :banghead:  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 11, 2024, 01:47:52 PMWhy should it cost you ANYthing when they didn't include it in the kit in the first place?  :banghead:  :banghead:

It's definitely soured me on the company. And Trumpeter, since they're both under the same umbrella. The kit looks nice and seems to build easily, but I won't get another.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 11, 2024, 01:47:52 PMWhy should it cost you ANYthing when they didn't include it in the kit in the first place?  :banghead:  :banghead:

Agree. But there's probably some fine print that boils down to 'Caveat Emptor'. Or they can make some excuse to have it so. :banghead:

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on May 11, 2024, 07:46:27 PM

Agree. But there's probably some fine print that boils down to 'Caveat Emptor'. Or they can make some excuse to have it so. :banghead:

Yup. If the box was sealed then there is no way they should charge you for a replacement. If I'm feeling generous I can just about understand postage costs, but even then if I was charged for what was their error I'd certainly think twice about dealing with the company again.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

The e-mail I sent them:

Hello, I recently purchased one of your Hobby Boss kits, the 1/72nd scale F-84E ThunderJet, kit number 80246, and when I opened the box the clear sprue was missing. If I could obtain a spare, please mail it to:

This is the form letter they send back:

Greetings from the Trumpeter/Hobbyboss !

To improve customers' shopping experience, we contracted spare parts service to hobbydna group, you can try to submit order directly through the website www.hobbydna.com.

Go to the website, search by item no. which you can find on the gift box, it's usually five digits, for example "01123". If you can't find the code you need, it is means no stock at present, please kindly follow the website, they will upload new products from time to time, thank you !

Thank you for your great support in the past. Looking forward to providing you with better service.

Yours Faithfully

"great support in the past"? I've never dealt with them before, but thanks for the empty platitudes. "To improve customers' shopping experience" ?! How is this an 'improvement' over, well, anything?   Then you have to go to that 'hobby.dna' site to look up what you want, and hope that they have it. Don't think I'll deal with them again, unless something really strikes my fancy, AND it's inexpensive, AND I can check the contents. But other manufacturers will get preference, even at higher prices.

But... they have given me an idea for what to do with the model.  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

scooter

Quote from: The Rat on May 12, 2024, 10:52:22 AMBut... they have given me an idea for what to do with the model.  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Cold War Mistel?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

The Rat

Quote from: scooter on May 12, 2024, 10:54:10 AM
Quote from: The Rat on May 12, 2024, 10:52:22 AMBut... they have given me an idea for what to do with the model.  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Cold War Mistel?

I like that, but no.

Rick Lowe

Another canopy?
But not if you want it as a stock F-84, I guess.

A drone?

frank2056

At that price,  it would be cheaper to buy a new kit. Isn't there a modeler in Quebec who collects and ships out kit parts for free? Maybe he has a spare canopy?

The Rat

Yes, new kit would be cheaper, but it was the only one in stock, so I would have to call around a bunch of shops, and perhaps use up gas driving there and back and blah blah blah. So a new canopy has been ordered and paid for, paint and markings chosen, and back story started.