The Rat's Nest

Started by The Rat, November 09, 2013, 11:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Got the ancient Frog/Novo Gloster Javelin on the bench right now, fuselage and wings glued up. A few days ago I received some Irish decals from KiwiZac that I was going to put on the Matchbox Hawker Fury, but they're way too large. So, after a history involving a short-lived German invasion of Ireland during WWII, and consequently much better relations with Britain in the interests of mutual defence, Ireland was provided with slightly more up-to-date military eqipment than they might normally be able to afford. The Javelin could be one such aircraft, and I'm pretty sure I'll use it for the decals. Might see if it could be used for anti-shipping, seeing that Ireland is like a giant aircraft carrier off the west coast of Great Britain. And I like a simple sea grey over white scheme, not very colourful but so cool.

Anyone got suggestions for weapons? Probably don't have anything suitable in the spares bin, so I'll probably have empty pylons with just a mention of them in any pack of lies back story written up.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

A shillelagh would be the obvious answer.  ;D

Wasn't there a missile called the Shillelagh at some time? There was, but it seems it was an anti-tank weapon. Maybe the IAC adapted it to be fired from an under wing tube launcher on their Javelins?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: The Rat on February 01, 2022, 02:01:31 PM
And I like a simple sea grey over white scheme, not very colourful but so cool.

EDSG over white, one of my favourite schemes  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2022, 05:51:06 AM
A shillelagh would be the obvious answer.  ;D

Wasn't there a missile called the Shillelagh at some time? There was, but it seems it was an anti-tank weapon. Maybe the IAC adapted it to be fired from an under wing tube launcher on their Javelins?  ;)

I was thinking exactly that.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

A perfect match then.  ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

If they're built as the mk6, it's easy to explain the sale, as 60 or so were put straight into storage as the mk 7 was ready sooner than expected.

Couldn't tell you the difference in the two marks are, as I have zero interest in the type.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

The FROG/Novo Javelin's an FAW 9, and would need some hacking or kit bashing to make any of the earlier versions. Lots of bits were changed, even the wings.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 03, 2022, 05:10:58 AM
MGM-51 Shillelagh ATGM

By the way; Javelin = Sleá in Irish

"You, Gunner Mulligan, why did you fire two Shillelaghs at the enemy tank?"
"To be sure sir..."

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

;D ;D ;D ;D

It's the way he tells them.  :thumbsup:

It works much better in an Irish accent too.   ;)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 04, 2022, 05:37:27 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D

It's the way he tells them.  :thumbsup:

It works much better in an Irish accent too.   ;)

It only works in an Irish accent   ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Looks like I may have to also whiff up a mythical anti-shipping missile. Fortunately there are plenty of spare drop tanks in the parts bin.

The Rat

What's up with this? We all know that it should be silver, not anti-flash white.  ;D

FD2 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

PR19_Kit

It could be dark blue, or even purple if it was WG777.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2