Started by comrade harps, November 10, 2013, 11:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comrade harps

Nakajima Ki-27b Nate
Personal mount of Lt. Shūichi Gonda
2nd Chutai, 17th Sentai, Imperial Japanese Army Air Force
Melaka, Malaya
January, 1942

Despite being obsolete, poorly armed and somewhat slow, Nakajima's Ki-27 played a significant role in the Japanese offensives of late 1942 and early 1942.

The unusually large white ring around the fuselage Hinomaru was peculiar to the 17th Sentai during the Malayan campaign. The official explanation was that it was an experiment to test positive identification whilst flying against an enemy that also had national markings that featured a red dot at their centre. Unofficially, it was an acknowledgement that friendly fire (especially from anti-aircraft gunners) was a potential issue. Whatever the case, it was soon abandoned after the fall of Singapore.

This Ki-27b of the 9th Sentai was the personal mount of Lt. Shūichi Gonda, who scored 3 air-to-air kills during the Malayan campaign in this aircraft (the kills markings can be seen to the right of the Hinomaru in the port side). They were a Bristol Blenheim and a Handley-Page Hampden (both RAF) and a RAAF Brewster Buffalo. He went on to a total score of 15, the remainder of his kills being scored whilst flying the Ki-43 in Burma.

Before Japan's December, 1941 offensives, Nakajima's Ki-43 Oscar was rapidly replacing the Ki-27 in front line service. The Ki-43 was essentially a re-engined and updated Ki-27 powered by the liquid-cooled Ha-40, a Daimler Benz DB601 clone. The Ki-43-11 was powered by the Ha-140 (DB605 equivalent) and the Ki-43-111 used the Ha-240 (a licence-built DB603).

Whatever.

lancer

Do my identifaction skills defy me or is that a Macchi 200??? If it is, it is inspired.... Brilliant.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

comrade harps

QuoteDo my identifaction skills defy me or is that a Macchi 200???

It is indeed a Macchi C.200 (Revell). The Ki-43-I as hinted will be a MC.202 (day fighter underway) and the -II the MC.205 (possibly a night fighter), from the Italeri double boxing. Picked them up together and got down to building as soon as I got home. Not trying to over-think these, just plunge into them.
Whatever.

lancer

Really looking forward to seeing the MC205....One of my faveourite WW2 aircraft.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

Nice one. The camo looks awesome on her !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Nice :thumbsup:
Looks very 'Gladiator' like in a Monoplanish sort of way....
If you see what I mean :blink:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

comrade harps

QuoteLooks very 'Gladiator' like in a Monoplanish sort of way....
If you see what I mean

I do.

And the MC.202 is nearly done.

Thanks for the positive comments on this one.

Goes off wondering if a Japanese Fiat G.50 should have spats and arrestor gear?
Whatever.