Main Menu

Cold War Galactica

Started by seadude, November 15, 2013, 07:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

The "Cold War" between the US and USSR has risen to new heights......literally!  ;D  ;D  ;D In outer space!

Ok, folks. Tell me what you think of this idea:

I bought a Revell/Monogram Battlestar Galactica ship recently at a model contest. I also have a Revell/Monogram Cylon Basestar ship at home too.
Build/paint/decal the Galactica as a U.S. space battleship carrier.  Build/paint/decal the Cylon Basestar as a USSR battlestation/carrier.

Here are some pics to show 1/700 scale armament I could possibly add to the Galactica. Going left to right are:
* Seasparrow missile launchers
* RAM missile launchers
* Eight round gun turrets from a British aircraft carrier kit.
* VLS missile hatches
* Twenty Four small anti-aircraft gun turrets
Out of all the armament I had in my spares box, this was the most decent looking and smallest I had that might look good on the Galactica. Exactly how much I'll add of everything is still undecided. I was thinking of adding two 16" gun turrets on top of the Galactica similar to the way the Space Battleship Yamato has gun turrets.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

scooter

I say do it.  The scales may be off, but do it anyway :thumbsup: 
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

deathjester

Looks great! Scales look about right too...

sandiego89

Scale is fine. Adding on "spare" parts is very much in keeping in line with the original TV prop: when the producers of the original TV series built the model they used for filming, they used numerous tank hulls (no turrets) along the rear aft end, just before the engines.  Looking at your pictures, you can see ~10 tank hulls lined up side by side on each aft end. A row on both the top and botttom.  You can even make out the circular ring where the turret would go on the most forward of these tanks. These tanks scale well with you weapons.       
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Quote from: deathjester on November 16, 2013, 05:04:11 AM
Looks great! Scales look about right too...

Have to agree  :thumbsup:

Is it the first Lensman book where the Lensman's ship uses a canon against the pirates ? Fires a shell through a tubular force field which has been "attached" to the pirate ship hull ?

Have to re-read those and the Skylark books again one day. Read them a few times but I still enjoy them
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

I'd put the turrets top and bottom, but nice idea! How about really mixing things up and doing the Basestar as the US ship, and make the Galactica Soviet?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Gondor

Looks more Ship like upside down

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

lancer

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 16, 2013, 09:08:36 AM
I'd put the turrets top and bottom, but nice idea! How about really mixing things up and doing the Basestar as the US ship, and make the Galactica Soviet?

Hey!!! Quit reading my thoughs will ya.... :mellow: :mellow:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

seadude

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 16, 2013, 09:08:36 AM

Uh......no thanks. I'll keep the Galactica as the US ship, and the Basestar as the USSR ship.  :thumbsup:

As I said, I don't have much decent looking armament from my spares box. So if anything doesn't look good scalewise, then so be it. What I was thinking is the following:
* Two 16" gun turrets on top of Galactica.
* Eight (8 ) medium anti-ship turrets (Small red dots. Using round British aircraft carrier gun turrets.)
* Twenty Four (24) small anti-fighter laser turrets. (Blue dots. 12 on top of ship. 12 on bottom of ship.)
* Two anti-ship/fighter VLS missile systems. (Yellow rectangles)
* Six (6) small RAM anti-fighter missile launchers (Green squares)
* One 16" gun turret on bottom of ship. (Large red dot)
* Two large laser type cannons on bottom of ship at front. (Long red rectangles)

Is that enough or should I add more? Maybe if I'm lucky enough, I might have some tinier gun turrets that I could use as CIWS guns for anti-missile defense. I'll have to do a more thorough search in my spares box.

I'm not sure what to do for armament for a Basestar. Seeing as how it'll be a Soviet Basestar, it'll have to have more armament as the Soviets always had more quantity versus the US's quality. I do have roughly 30 or so 1/700 40mm quad gun turrets of a different style that I was thinking of adding to each tip of the "poles" that you see in the first pic.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

To any Mod or Admin here, Can I please have this thread moved to this forum here. Thanks.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/board,97.0.html

In other news.........Started building the Galactica yesterday. Boy, is this old Monogram kit a piece of crap.  :banghead: It's going to need a lot of filing, puttying, sanding, etc.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
When this project is done, I may even be able to scratchbuild some tiny Vipers. I have some really tiny 1/700 scale missiles I might be able to modify.

Here are some pics of various guns/sizes I could use on the Galactica.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Got a few new pics. First pic below shows new armament I'll add to the Galactica from my spares box. I think these guns look much nicer than what I had previously.

Next 2 pics below show the bases I had to build for adding the 1/700 scale 16" gun turrets to be used as "anti-spaceship gun turrets".

Next pic below is a closeup. You can also see two rectangular panels with circles in them. These are the anti-ship VLS missile tubes.

Next pic below is the area for the bottom 16" anti-spaceship turret to be added on the bottom of the Galactica under the front.

Right now, I'm still working on adding various "odds and ends, and bits & pieces" such as paneling, piping, etc. to the Galactica to add more detail to empty and dead spaces that don't otherwise have much detail.

seadude

In a few more days or a week or two, I should be ready to start painting the Galactica. Anybody got any ideas on a good scheme or shade of gray to use? Normally, the Galactica has red stripes in various places all over the hull of the ship. I might be changing those to blue instead.
Does anybody have any suggestions for modifying the bottom of the forward hull in this pic below? Should I add some sort of "beam cannons" or other fanciful armament to the "troughs" on the bottom of the hull?

Old Wombat

Why not? ;)

A couple of "mega-plasma-torpedo" launchers ( :P ) with their generators just forward of the turret should look good! :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude

Need some opinions on the following:
Using the pics I posted in my Post # 8 further above, Would it look too weird or awkward if I were to put small defensive gun turrets on the top and bottom of the engine section where the blue dots are? You almost never see any defensive armament on or near the engines in a lot of sci-fi spacecraft. But engines need protecting too, right?