Main Menu

Cold War Galactica

Started by seadude, November 15, 2013, 07:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Sci Fi writers & modellers usually tend to leave engines free of weapons on the theory that either high radiation levels and/or strong electro-magnitic fields render any weapons (either manned or remote) placed there ineffective. Also, the engines, themselves, can be considered weapons against any stern attack.

That doesn't mean you can't do it, it's just the general SF convention on engine-mounted weapons - & we're here to defy convention, no?! :wacko:

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Sticky Fingers

I would definitely put armament on thise locations.

Weaver

Nice project!  :thumbsup:

Few random thoughts:

In that scale, you could always scratchbuild weapons, particularly since it's sci-fi. Just about any blob of plastic can become a gun turret with a few lengths of brass rod stuck in it. You could also build RWS-style weapons, i.e. a "pylon" with a selection of pods/tubes/rods/boxes stuck to either side of it.  

The level and depth of surface detail on the kit is way less than on the filming model, but perversely, that actually makes it more appropriate if you want to evoke the style of late 20th century US Navy ships, so I'd be restrained when it comes to adding more if I were you. Perhaps some of the existing detail would look sharper if you scribed around the edge of it, so it looked less "blended" into the surface below?

The Soviet Basestar should DEFINATELY have a big red star incorporated into it's paint scheme: it's hard to imagine they would resist that temptation with a design like that.

Soviet ships tend to feature proportionally bigger anti-ship missile launchers than US ships, so while the Galactica has relatively discrete VLS tubes, the Basestar should have much more promienent clusters of external tubes.

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 06, 2013, 09:46:45 PM
Sci Fi writers & modellers usually tend to leave engines free of weapons on the theory that either high radiation levels and/or strong electro-magnitic fields render any weapons (either manned or remote) placed there ineffective. Also, the engines, themselves, can be considered weapons against any stern attack.

That doesn't mean you can't do it, it's just the general SF convention on engine-mounted weapons - & we're here to defy convention, no?! :wacko:

:cheers:

Guy

That might be a good argument for putting "old fashioned" chemical projectile weapons in those places, i.e. interference from the engines makes more exotic beam/field weapons unworkable.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

seadude

QuoteThe Soviet Basestar should DEFINATELY have a big red star incorporated into it's paint scheme: it's hard to imagine they would resist that temptation with a design like that.

Soviet ships tend to feature proportionally bigger anti-ship missile launchers than US ships, so while the Galactica has relatively discrete VLS tubes, the Basestar should have much more promienent clusters of external tubes.

I was thinking of putting some 1/700 scale Tomahawk ABL's on the Basestar in various locations. Those are the only small and decent "large" missile launchers I have since I don't have any of those angled anti-ship missile launchers that you see on Slava or other class Soviet destroyers and cruisers.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Weaver

Quote from: seadude on December 07, 2013, 05:41:08 AM
QuoteThe Soviet Basestar should DEFINATELY have a big red star incorporated into it's paint scheme: it's hard to imagine they would resist that temptation with a design like that.

I was thinking of putting some 1/700 scale Tomahawk ABL's on the Basestar in various locations. Those are the only small and decent "large" missile launchers I have since I don't have any of those angled anti-ship missile launchers that you see on Slava or other class Soviet destroyers and cruisers.

Make some!

Space missiles wouldn't be the same as surface missile anyway, so you don't have to be "accurate", just capture the Soviet look.

1. Make a box, round off the long corners, stick four discs on the front of it.

OR

2. Get some tubes (any tubes) detail them a bit, then stick them on a plinth.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

seadude

From what I've always seen of spaceships in sci-fi movies and television, they are mostly painted either white, light gray, or a medium shade of grey.
Any recommendations for what I should paint my Galactica model? I've been thinking of either of the following:
* Testor Acryl Light Ghost Grey
* Testor Acryl Flat Gull Grey
* Testor Acryl Camouflage Grey
* Tamiya Medium Grey XF-20
* Tamiya Sky Grey XF-19

I can't use an airbrush as I don't own one and I also have bad eyesight. I need a paint that hand brushes smoothly and evenly.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

nighthunter

Personal opinion, stay away from Tamiya, they have gotten crappy, and the paint thickens quickly. Testors, I'd use all three, use the darkest for the base color and the other two for highlights. And don't forget a wash.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

seadude

After a bit of research on a sci-fi model forum, I learned that the studio scale Galactica was painted in Pollyscale IJA Light Grey. Unfortuneately, that color seems to have been discontinued I think? Went to my monthly model club meeting at a local hobby store this past Saturday and all the colors I listed further above in my Post # 20 were out of stock or there weren't enough bottles to buy.  :banghead: So........the next closest match for a light grey type color was Tamiya Royal Light Grey (XF-80). I bought a few bottles and this is what I started with below. Suffice to say, I think I like this color. :) Seems close enough to me for a light grey.  Thoughts?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

seadude

Even though it'll be a long time before I build and paint the Cylon Basestar, does anybody have some suggestions for paint colors to use? I prefer acrylics and will only use Testor Model Master Acryl or TAMIYA paints.

Father Ennis

Based on my experience, I would suggest you start with a base dark grey then various lighter shades for dry brushing.  One thing that always bothered me was that they never showers the Basestars in any detail in the show. It was "grey" period ! .  I have several episodes on video tape and have tried on a number of occasions to get details and colors but what I found was just stock footage reshown over and over again. I must say that the original Battlestar was edited and rediteded then recombined almost ad infinitum. I have no idea of how many movies I've seen on TV over the years. Come to think of it I "might" have something in an old magazine article. I will check and post if I find something.  I do recall (plus have the episode) that Admiral Adama had a  "model" of a Basestar and it was a very dark grey and had "mega phasers " or some such on it's top. Never saw them in the video of the "real world"  Basestars. It's the episode where Boltar helps them with his knowledge of the Basestar,as he is the only human ever to spend time inside a Basestar..

seadude

A few more painting pics. ;) Painting of the Galactica will probably be finished in the next few days. I really like how this color is turning out. Adding armament, decals, and building the tiny Vipers will be during the next 2 weeks or so.

Librarian

Fantastic craft, always loved the launch tube and entry port idea for the Vipers. Only just picked up the film on Blu Ray, the sound and picture are top notch. Still second favourite sci fi movie after Forbidden Planet.

Weaver

You should do a "Red Dwarf" ; leave a small section unpainted and have a tiny spaceman with a roller and a paint tray standing on a platform next to it....... ;D

- Indiana Jones