Luftwaffe Focke Wulf Ta-254 V1 "Stechmücke" , April 1945

Started by nönöbär, November 17, 2013, 05:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Focke Wulf Ta-254

The Plane:

In January 1943, Focke Wulf started with the development of the Ta-154 "Moskito". Mainly build out of non strategic material - i.e. wood - the two engined night fighter was planned to be used against British night bombers and night fighers. The first flight of the Ta-154 V1 was in July 1943 and until the cancellation of the project in August 1944, a total of 12 prototype aircraft were build.

When the project was cancelled, most of the prototype were destroyed during an air attack on Hanover Langenhagen on August 5th, 1944.

However, the engineers around Kurt Tank came up with the idea to use the Ta-154 airframe and equipped it with jet engines. This is where the Ta-254 was born. Parts of the remaining prototypes and unfinished aircraft were used to build single prototype of the Ta-254.

Equipped with four Jumo jet engines taken from the Me262 production, the airframe could easily modified. Besides the engine installation, the landing gear had to be rebuild, as the jet engine mounts did not provide enough space to place the landing gear in it.
Due to the cause of the war, the construction of the Ta-254 took longer than expected and the prototype could take off for its first and only flight on April 17th. 1945. The aircraft showed a quite similar behaviour in the air, but because of the jet engines, the top speed could be increased to about 800 kph.

The model shows the Focke Wulf Ta-254 V1 "Stechmücke" on April 17th before its maiden flight.

The Model:
I used a PM-Model kit of the Ta-154 as the core of this model. PM-model kits are quite simple ones with not too much parts (20-30). The jet engines were taken from two Revell Me 262 kits. Some other parts were taken from those kits, too.
The new main landing gear was made form the PM-Model kit parts, the two auxiliary ones at the wingtips are made form parts of the Graf Zeppelin carrier and a Eastern Express an 28 kit. Decals are taken form the Me 262 kits.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

PR19_Kit

I've liked that since you started it, but now it's done it looks GREAT!  :thumbsup: :bow:

I hope they put aluminium shields over the wooden tailplane or those inboard jets have will cooked it!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nönöbär

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 17, 2013, 06:41:45 AM
I've liked that since you started it, but now it's done it looks GREAT!  :thumbsup: :bow:

I hope they put aluminium shields over the wooden tailplane or those inboard jets have will cooked it!  ;D

I guess this is something they found out after the maiden flight...  ;D

--------------------

PR19_Kit

Quote from: nönöbär on November 17, 2013, 06:43:13 AM

I guess this is something they found out after the maiden flight...  ;D

Hehehe, indeed, a SHORT maiden flight no doubt!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

...and you can tell it was late in the war with a lack of strategic materials, they are having to use a wooden runway.   :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

nönöbär

Ok, I asked my best engineer what he thought about the the wooden tailplane and he came up with this solution:

I don't think he is serious....  ;D

But he told me, in difference to the Ta-154, the tail of the Ta-254 was protected by an aluminum layer, but it was painted over. Would not have survived the first flight I guess.

--------------------

matrixone

Very nice!

Great use of a very bad PM kit, The PM Ta 154 was the worst of their line of Luftwaffe models.

Matrixone

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Sticky Fingers

So, next up a Mk II with a 'T-tail' then!

Great work Nönöbär :cheers:

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]