london to christchurch...dh super hornet

Started by oz rb fan, November 18, 2013, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oz rb fan

when the london to christchurch race was announced Dehavilland decided to built two modified hornets...one cleaned up and special build merlins painted to resemble the dh88 "Grosvenor House"..the other was this monster...twin 3 stage griffons producing around 3000hp.whilst not competitive with the jets it should have easily won the piston speed section...

it wasnt to be...whilst leading strongly and approaching Darwin the right engine let go it made a safe landing at Darwin airport but with no replacment of the angines available it was retired...allowing history to repeat and "Grosvenor house" to win the speed piston class of the race.(will have to build that one later).
the kit is the very old wings86 kit unusual as all the detail parts are white metal...it goes together ok (except the canopy)but weighs alot for a 1/72 scale kit.
the props and spinners are aeroclub ones for a seafire fr47.

Hobbes

rickshaw

Now, that sure is pretty!  Very lovely indeed!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

CSMO

Wowzers!!!!! I dig it. We'll thought out and executed. Ya done good! Adios, Larry.  :thumbsup: :cheers:
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

TomZ

Wow, Great idea and beautiful executed!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

Sweet ! What a good looking bird, and certainly looks fast ! Hopefully they can rebuild the engine and give the race one more try..... :thumbsup:

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?