1/12 Kawasaki Monkeyball *End Pics*

Started by Sticky Fingers, November 18, 2013, 08:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Fingers

This build is inspired by the Wrenchmonkees Garage of Denmark. I really like their style (or lack thereof, depending on which side of the fence you're on) so I thought I'd give it a go in miniature.
The base for this one is The Kawasaki 750 RS Z-II from Aoshima, with bits and bobs added from the sparesbox(es) and some scratchbuild items.

Enough already, we want to see pics!

Modified frame, home made seating arrangement.

Engine, painted and weathered, dressed-up some carbs from the sparesbox, scratchbuild breather filter.

Discs left over from the KR1000F build, painted and weathered.

Scratchbuild 'Supertrapp' end can on slightly modified kit-suplied pipework.

The engine is about done, I think, as are the discs, but the rest is still very much In Progress.

Thanks for watching  :cheers:

PR19_Kit

You can almost SMELL that oily engine! Super job, but I dunno how you build in a scale that big though.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Nice work ! What are your tricks to getting that dirty oily look ? I love it ! Great idea building a rat-bike in miniature....sounds like a great way to validate ideas for a real bike.

:cheers:

And thatnls for that link....some awesome bikes in there !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Sticky Fingers

No real trick or secret concoction, Cap, I just thinned Vallejo Smoke with regular tap water to make it translucent (looks more like mucky water than paint) and applied it in several thin layers, a sort of elaborate pinwash, basically. It's the same wash I used on the discs, only the engine received more layers. :drink:

Quote from: PR19_Kit
I dunno how you build in a scale that big though.  ;D
I use a pair of pliers, a paint roller, and a blowtorch instead of an X-acto ... :mellow:

Captain Canada

Thanks bro ! I keep hearing about these paints....I guess I should try some !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Sticky Fingers

I really like Vallejo, both the regular and 'Air' kind. It's a bit more vulnerable compared to other paints, i.e. more easily damaged when dry, but it's so easy to work with. And it's odourless, a big plus when you do your whiffing in the livingroom. Or whiffingroom.

NARSES2

Quote from: Sticky Fingers on November 19, 2013, 12:15:06 PM
I really like Vallejo, both the regular and 'Air' kind.

Must admit I've only used some basic colours from the Vallejo "regular" range and have found them excellent to brush paint
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Nice job sticky, that engine is superb! Requst for you next photo, please place something easily recognizable like a paint tin or coin in the shot so I can better appreciate the scale. I've never done anything in that large a scale.  Like it  :thumbsup:
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Sticky Fingers

I'll do my best, although a coin might be difficult because a) if you use $ or £ and I use you still have no idea and b) I'm broke. :rolleyes:
But I'll see what I can come up with. Something internationally recognized.

Like one of my Zippo's ;D

Captain Canada

Sit it atop a full scale motorbike  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Sticky Fingers

Seeing as I don't have an actual bike at hand, I placed Mini-Me next to the engine block, he's 1/35. Does that help?

And here's what the bike looks like now, in a dryfit:

Lots and lots more to do! <_<

Captain Canada

Ah...mini-you is drinking a cup of cat hair !

:thumbsup:

LOL...that's pretty good. Are you scratch built ? Neat idea !

The Monkey is looking great ! Love rat bikes. I've got a big stack of Tamiya bikes downstairs, mostly GP bikes tho.

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Father Ennis

Very Kool !!!  Most inspiring too. I might have to get the one big scale bike kit out of my stash and do something on it. Did you strip off all the chrome from the parts then use Metalizers on the parts ? I've been thinking of giving this a try but haven't found anybody who has done it. Seems like a good idea but ......

Weaver

Apologies for only just catching up with this - it's great! :thumbsup:

Having spent a lot of time up to my elbows in 1:1 scale bikes, I can say the finish (or lack thereof) on the engine is absolutely spot on.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sticky Fingers

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 02, 2013, 08:52:06 AMI've got a big stack of Tamiya bikes downstairs, mostly GP bikes tho.
Wish I had that :angry:. I would probably stick one of those GP engines in a wobbly old roadbike frame, turn another bike into a trike and have one transformed into a sidecar racer  :rolleyes:

Quote from: Father Ennis on December 04, 2013, 04:08:27 AM
Did you strip off all the chrome from the parts then use Metalizers on the parts ? I've been thinking of giving this a try but haven't found anybody who has done it. Seems like a good idea but ......
Yes, and it's very easy, just leave the parts in a cup of bleach for a while and see the chrome disappear from the sprues. Once rinsed off you get clean parts, with detail that was way softer when the chrome was still there. I don't use Alclad though, just my trusty bottles of Vallejo Air.

Quote from: Weaver on December 04, 2013, 04:29:57 AM
Having spent a lot of time up to my elbows in 1:1 scale bikes, I can say the finish (or lack thereof) on the engine is absolutely spot on.
Thanks Weaver! :thumbsup: