Lost and Found

Started by PR19_Kit, November 20, 2013, 12:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Over on the BTS Forum they're having a 'Clear your workbench' group build and as I had 60 odd models that were still 'in build' at the last census in Feb 2012 I figured I should be able to produce a couple of candidates. One was already intended as a Whiff build, a BEA 727, which BEA really wanted to buy after giving de Havilland the run-around for umpteen years over the Trident debacle. HMG refused them leave to use our miniscule dollars to buy them so they ended up with the Trident whether they liked it or not.

In my Whiff world they scraped up enough Greenbacks and bought a few 727s and this one was intended to be in the wonderful 'High Speed Jack' scheme but something went wrong with the paint and I shelved it, but not for much longer.....

The second 'Lost and Found' was a lovely VP Models Douglas XB-43 Jetmaster which is mainly vacform but with the fiddly bits done in resin. I'd done all the vacform work, including painting the interior, and abandoned it on the basis that I never could get a decent NM finish. However, thinking of it Whiffworld terms gave me some new encouragement and it's going to be camouflaged, and naturally it'll have somewhat longer wings.  ;D

The third one I just found this evening, buried right at the back of a pile of BIG boxes in my Loft. This also died on the matter of NM finishes, and on this one it's a BIG finish, to say the least! I've got some ideas about this which include a camo'd upper surface.....  ;)

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

3 interesting subjects ! You can do it !

:thumbsup: :tornado: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

NMF?  Halfords are your friends.  Gloss Aluminium.  Sorted.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Martin H

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 20, 2013, 02:11:47 PM
NMF?  Halfords are your friends.  Gloss Aluminium.  Sorted.
I concur with the right honorable member for Tyneside North.

That butt ugly 72nd scale Stratosearcher I built for SMW was done using Halford Audi Aluminium.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

I've given the underside of the B-35 a blast with a handy can of Halford's Silver that was just knocking around. Looks splendid and with a few panels re-coloured with some metallic acrylics I have it should look even better. I just need a package to arrive from Big H with some bits and pieces and we'll be well on the way.....

Then I'll have to put up some more shelves for it to stand on!

The 727's wings have been sanded within an inch of their lives and re-primered now too and the Jetmaster has had it's joints strengthened with superglue as they were cracking a tad.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I took The Wooksta's advice and looked out the Halford's Silver (or Alumium....) and gave the entire underside of the B-35 an overall coat. Then I spent HOURS masking up two separate lots of panels and painting them with different shades of Games Workshop metallics, the ones with the funny names, and here's the result. I'm pretty pleased with it myself, it's the best NMF finish I've ever done but I expect it's small beer to some of you.

I've scraped off all the Maskol from the various canopies, and then found the primer had gone clean through it in some places  :banghead: so then spent even more time scraping it off and then polishing up the canopies with an ancient polishing kit that I have that luckily works like a charm. Then an overall coat of Klear and that's as far as I've got so far.

See my '"%(***%$£_£&^ Airbrushes thread for the reason.....

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Wow! Great! This looks almost "too much real"... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Have no fear Tophe, you haven't seen the top view yet.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

The upper side can only look better ! Nice work so far......

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 22, 2013, 04:21:07 PM
Have no fear Tophe, you haven't seen the top view yet.  ;)

Day glo orange?  Or a rather green RLM?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Army of One

Great result there Kit.......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

I've got a NM finish aircraft in the pipeline so I may try this method rather then an overall "silver" finish
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

The B-35 has come to an abrupt halt I'm afraid as the camo on the upper surface just didn't go well and I've run out of both paints now. My single action airbrush wasn't precise enough and the overspray was only too visible. I tried to brush paint the borders but ran into the 'different shade' problem immediately.  :banghead:

More paints are on order from Big H and I'll mask up with tape and spray it when they arrive.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Be interesting to see a camouflaged B-35  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Kit, my Badger sounds just like yours, I got for it three different nozzle sizes.  One is used for very large models so you can cover bigger areas and at the other extreme, one that does very thin lines.  The third one is in the middle of those two.  IIRC, these nozzles didn't cost very much so might be a solution for your painting.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike