Aircraft of the PDRV - zenrat's flying circus

Started by zenrat, November 24, 2013, 02:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

In my alternate history the Peoples Democratic Republic of Victoria patrol the Bass Strait from a secret seaplane base in the Mornington Archipelago.

Fruit smugglers from South Australia in small fast boats are hunted down with Skyraiders.
(Heller with Airfix Kingfisher float stretched 30mm)

Larger craft attempting to avoid the longer haul round Tasmania without paying the toll are intercepted by Moskitos.
(Airfix with scratchbuilt float)

One thing i've realised with these 2, it's probably easier to start with a decent kit then you don't have to waste time struggling with an ill fitting mess.  No matter how cheap it was.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

LOVE the whole idea about the PDRV and Tasmanian smugglers!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

CSMO

It is your build, but won't the outrigger float struts be awfully long and spidery. Personally, I would have gone with twin floats for strength and stability , plus it leaves the centerline open for external stores. I am interested to see where this one goes. Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Captain Canada

Love the look of that Skyradier ! Nice !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

comrade harps

QuoteFruit smugglers from South Australia in small fast boats are hunted down with Skyraiders.

No doubt trying to bring down Victoria's agricultural economy by importing fruit fly.

I can see the headlines and slogans: "The War on Fruit" and "Turn Back the Fruit". Part of a 6 point plan, no doubt.

Who's the Victorian Premier: Bolte or Kennett?

Love the idea.
Whatever.

zenrat

Thanks folks.
The floats are just blu-tacked on for photographic purposes and both will probably end up closer to the fuselage.
On the Skyraider i was hoping to get away with using the Kingfisher struts  for both the main and wing floats but given it's a much bigger diameter prop that may not be possible.  Telescopic struts for the wing floats maybe?
As usual i'm just making it up as I go so anything could happen...
The Wing floats on the Moskito i'll attach to the engine nacelles.

I'm writing a timeline from 1901 to explain why the PDRV has such an esoteric collection of aircraft and i've got to the mid fifties.
Ted Whitten was made president for life in 1954.

So what to do with the rest of the Kingfisher?
Well I didn't like the way it looked on the optional undercarriage so i've decided to tricycle it.

I can't decide whether to make it civillian or military.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Captain Canada

Holy ! Does that configuration ever change the look of it ! Not sure if it's the u/c or the prop...but probably both. I think once the wing is attached, it will look decidedly more Kingfish-ish.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

comrade harps

QuoteTed Whitten was made president for life in 1954.

Teddy will "Stick it right up em!"

He'll Stop the Boats for sure. A good choice.

Is Ron Barassi the Minister for Defence?  Or Bob Skilton, maybe?

Really want to read the backstory detail.
Whatever.

zenrat

Quote from: comrade harps on November 27, 2013, 05:16:27 AM
QuoteTed Whitten was made president for life in 1954.

Teddy will "Stick it right up em!"

He'll Stop the Boats for sure. A good choice.

Is Ron Barassi the Minister for Defence?  Or Bob Skilton, maybe?

Really want to read the backstory detail.

I've just posted 1901 t0 1939.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,38109.msg621562.html#new
Fred

Army of One

Love the look of the skyraider......with regard to the Moskito, that i also like, did you consider flipping the engines to give more clearance from the water/wake....? I would have thought a careful cut along the wing next to the engine, inboard......then swop them over.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

zenrat

Yes!  Brilliant idea Ao1.  That'll also give better visibility down and to the side where you'd need it when searching for those pesky fruit smugglers.
I'm of to do it now.  There's already 3cwt of filler on the thing, a bit more won't hurt.
The Skyraider is nearly ready for paint.  I'm thinking of shallow waters/coastal camo (blue, aqua, white or light sand) topsides with Australian Summer Sky Blue (that deeper than Sky Blue shade you get when there's no ozone layer) underneath.
Fred

zenrat

Fred

zenrat

I contemplated masking and airbrushing but decided to paint the Skyraider the way I used to way back when.
Glad I did as there is something very restfull about sitting brushing a camo paintjob whilst listening to the cricket on the radio.
This is going to be the PDRV Archipelago scheme - darker blue (colour of the starboard float) and gum leaf green still to come.

Fred

kerick

Quote from: zenrat on January 03, 2014, 06:46:22 PM

I think I'm seasick!
That's the wildest camo scheme I've ever seen!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise