Aircraft of the PDRV - zenrat's flying circus

Started by zenrat, November 24, 2013, 02:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

As I may have said somewhere here the Moskito seems to be developing a life of it's own and keeps evolving.
My original plan was anti ship strike aircraft armed with rockets. and TV guided bombs.  But then I thought how about a flying boat gunship?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

Quote from: zenrat on April 04, 2014, 01:27:24 AM
As I may have said somewhere here the Moskito seems to be developing a life of it's own and keeps evolving.
My original plan was anti ship strike aircraft armed with rockets. and TV guided bombs.  But then I thought how about a flying boat gunship?

that is quite a bold move indeed!
it should become something big  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

That looks like a jet powered Fleet Shadower without the props.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

That's wild ! Sure a far cry from your original concept eh ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ericr

Weaver

Splendid stuff: that Moskito will end up as a spaceship or a submarine yet.... ;D

Seeing the inline engines without their radiators gives the impression of jet nacelles, an effect you don't get with most radial engine nacelles because they're too short. I know jets arn't the obejctive here, but its a snippet of information worth filing away for future reference...

The colour scheme on the Skyraider reminded me of some of the late and much missed Sequoiaranger's builds. Craig was very interested in alternative cammo schemes for use over island environments, and he came up with some corkers:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22837.0.html

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25601.15.html

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,31309.15.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

With these paint schemes its really not about the camo effect. Its about making the enemy pilots gape in amazement until they fly into the ground!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

I've always been fascinated by alternate camo.  Sequoiaranger's are excellent.
I've always thought that if you make then artistic enough the enemy pilot will still be thinking "oh that's pretty, I like the juxtaposition of light and sha..." as he's shot down.
Now where's my street directory.  If I scan the page for Mount Martha and then print it onto decal paper I can have my house on one wing of the Moskito and the beach on the other...
A few weeks ago I was sitting on the South bank of the Murray studying the New South Wales hills and working out what colours to use for a border patrol scheme.  And i've also been thinking about a Western Australia  Red Sand & Scrub Scheme.
The defining factor for both of these will be the presence of lots of individual bushes and trees which of course from the air look like dots meaning the camo will bear a suspicious resemblance to Aboriginal dot paintings...

Weaver - i'm modifying the nacelles to represent a re-engining with turboprops.  I've dropped the axis of the props to put the air intake above them and cut the rear ends off to allow fitting of exhausts (which will be made from sawn off biros).
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Weaver

Excellent choice on the turboprops... :thumbsup:

The first profile I ever did on here was a "Cheshire Air Force" fighter, and one of the first comments about it was that it was too bright. I did some pics of that against aerial photos of Cheshire and it really wasn't: crops are often pale green and fallow fields sandy browns.

You made a point earlier about the false economy of using cheap and nasty kits that are "cheap enough for whiffery" and then spending all your time fighting the underlying kit instead of making the whiff. boy do I ever sympathise with that! I'd say 50% of my whiffs have suffered from that in one form or another. There's a natural tendency not to "butcher" a rare kit, but that gets extended to "nice" kits that aren't rare and I wonder whether we don't do ourselves an injustice sometimes: is whifferey a lower class of modelling that doesn't deserve "nice" kits?  :unsure:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ericr

Quote from: Weaver on April 05, 2014, 03:37:55 AM
You made a point earlier about the false economy of using cheap and nasty kits that are "cheap enough for whiffery" and then spending all your time fighting the underlying kit instead of making the whiff. boy do I ever sympathise with that! I'd say 50% of my whiffs have suffered from that in one form or another. There's a natural tendency not to "butcher" a rare kit, but that gets extended to "nice" kits that aren't rare and I wonder whether we don't do ourselves an injustice sometimes: is whifferey a lower class of modelling that doesn't deserve "nice" kits?  :unsure:

that's right : whiffing deserves appropriate kits, whatever rarity.
I think I floatplanized quite a few quite rare kits ...

kerick

Quote from: ericr on April 05, 2014, 03:49:43 AM
Speaking for myself, its just as much about the family budget. New kits are quite far down the list these days.
It also depends on what a person is building. If its far enough removed from reality it really doesn't matter as much as something with just minor changes.

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

ericr

Quote from: kerick on April 05, 2014, 08:43:04 AM
Quote from: ericr on April 05, 2014, 03:49:43 AM
Speaking for myself, its just as much about the family budget. New kits are quite far down the list these days.
It also depends on what a person is building. If its far enough removed from reality it really doesn't matter as much as something with just minor changes.

actually I also like to use cheap kits, but sometimes I also take a less cheap kit and bash it all the same  ;)

zenrat

The crappy kits comment was directed at the Heller Skyraider with it's deformed tail and the Airfix (nee MPM) Moskito with it's lack of fit.
But I must admit that with the better kits i've acquired since I found myself more drawn to paint whiffs rather than complete hack jobs.
The next 2 off the bench will be (almost) paint only - a Swordfish float plane (Airfix new tool) and an Arado Ar 196 (Airfix old but not too crappy).
I have also got an Airfix DH88 which I have some radical ideas for.  Problem is it's such a beautiful graceful aircraft i'm tempted to just build it as is.
Fred

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on April 06, 2014, 03:24:37 AM
I have also got an Airfix DH88 which I have some radical ideas for.  Problem is it's such a beautiful graceful aircraft i'm tempted to just build it as is.

Why not buy a second kit then you can build one as is and then do what you want with the second one?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

A very sensible suggestion Gondor.  Especially as Hobby Link Japan is selling them really really cheap...
Fred