Aircraft of the PDRV - zenrat's flying circus

Started by zenrat, November 24, 2013, 02:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Arrrrrrrrrghhhh.
Dropped the FW 190 Boatplane.  It's lost it's port float and fractured the hind leg on the starboard one.
But we can rebuild it.

Apart from that i've chosen a colour scheme - Red & White inspired by the iconic So Cal Speed Shop team livery.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

So, as the Swordfish is pretty much done I "need" to start something else.
It'll be this.

I'll be using a 1/48 Monogram kit and as both album cover pics are in B&W I have complete freedom of paint job.
Current thought is desert camo but that could change.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

philp

PL-01 was a Czech S92 in the grey scheme.  Always thought this one would be in the same markings but Desert tan would be interesting.

Here is one in the markings but a different fuselage code.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Old Wombat

Well, it's Blue Oyster Cult - So, why not PRU blue?

Or one of these shades?

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

ericr

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 19, 2014, 08:39:10 AM
Well, it's Blue Oyster Cult - So, why not PRU blue?

Or one of these shades?

waahh ... that is blue

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on June 05, 2014, 07:37:25 PM
Quote from: Flyer on June 05, 2014, 06:23:24 PM...Swordfish Vs F-15J? Poor ol Stringbag...

That's why I retained the observers Lewis Gun.
The Swordfish, having floats, will be operating from The Bob Barker or the Steve Irwin being lowered over the side by crane.
Being in the Southern Ocean they will be well out of range of any land based JASDF fighter aircraft and according to my research (OK, according to Wikipedia) there are no Japanese aircraft carriers currently in service.
I suppose the whaling fleet could use catapult launched aircraft or boat planes themselves.  Or maybe armed drones?

You could chase down and kill a Swordfish with the right helicopter...

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Yes, I see.  This might be able to take out a Stringbag...

http://kotaku.com/chinese-newspaper-confuses-the-japanese-military-with-509258501
...and thus the escalation begins.

Thanks for the pic Phil.  One of yours?
I had it in mind to use my airbrush on an aircraft for a change and try something similar to the SM-81 from Model Expo.  Arid shades and duck egg green undersides are favourite but no reason why it wouldn't be blue shades instead.  Nice pic Wombat.
I'm also looking at subtle armament mods like a gatling and rocket pods.

The Fw 190 has reached this stage.

That's Gunze acrylic red and it's a bit too translucent so i've ordered some Vallejo modelcolor which i'm hoping will cover better.
Since the incident where the concrete floor leapt up and hit it i've had to reinforce the float mounts with an extra strut.  The repairs held but were lopsided and I suspected breaking and regaling would never be strong enough.
I have a name for her and i'm now working on decals.
Fred

philp

Not mine, found on the web though I have thought about doing one as I am a BOC fan.

Mine was an Israeli version which popped up on this thread back in 2005:
http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?47199-Israeli-Avia-S-92-Messerschmitt-262s

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 19, 2014, 07:28:50 PM
Since the incident where the concrete floor leapt up and hit it i've had to reinforce the float mounts with an extra strut.

You just CANNOT trust these floors, concrete ones especially. They need to be constantly kept in their place, I stamp on mine quite a lot.....  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rhodri

You could always do the 262 as shown on the album cover - greys and grays over whites ...

zenrat

Hmmmm.  It's an idea.  White undercoat and then shade it with a soft pencil followed by a sealer coat of clear?
Fred

zenrat

The 262 is made from the horrible shiny and brittle styrene typical of Monogram kits.
Dark green in this case.
Parts fit is variable, poor in the case of the engine nacelles and good in the case of wings to fuselage.
Parts fit in the nose will soon be a lot worse than it currently is as I am fitting a 75mm 4 barrelled gatling rocket cannon.

I have also started a navalised Yak 15.
Fred

zenrat

Me too!
Seeing as the Yak (Pioneer 2 kit) is riddled with sink marks, has needed intake trunking, exhaust trunking & cockpit detail scratchbuilding and will thus need at least 1 cycle of PSR I was obliged to start yet another build while waiting for the the P to dry so I could S and then R.
I've pulled out a Red Roo models Dartstang.  This is an Academy 1/72 P51 with resin parts to model the one off ex-RAAF CA-18 Mustang Mk.22 which had a Rolls-Royce Dart 510 turboprop from a Vickers Viscount fitted to it in the early 70's.
http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/kits/redroo72139reviewmd_1.htm
First job on the conversion is to hack out carefully remove the Academy wheel well box and replace it with a resin item which also increases the dihedral to what it should be.
The instructions tell you to fill the ejector port holes in the underside of the wings but as I am not building a replica of the original (which never flew and was never painted) I will ignore this and keep the guns.
Unless I decide to give it cannons in the wings.
Not settled on paint yet.
Of course, being a resin conversion kit there will be PSR which mean i'll be obliged to start yet another build while waiting for the the P to dry so I can S and then R...

Fred

zenrat

OK.  Some progress.
This is the Pioneer 2 Yak 15.
Not the best fitting kit ever (but not the worst) but as it cost me a stonking $3 I can live with that.
Here's the extent of filler.

The wings are solid and surprisingly only the port one had a sink mark over the undercarriage well.  Being solid i'm pretty sure they are far too thin.  Airfix Yak 9 wings are a pretty good fit but I didn't go with them as I thought there would be too much PSR involved building up the wing roots.  Hah!
Plan is for this to be a PDRV Navy aircraft from the carrier PVS John Batman.  Dark blue over either natural metal or white.
Fred

zenrat

The fun* installation in the nose of the 262 is coming along.  Wish I could say the same about the nacelles - i've sanded them to buggery and now have to see what filler is needed and restore a heap of panel lines.  Mongograms crappy brittle plastic doesn't help as it's a pig to shape.

*yeah, should say gun but it seemed more apt so I left it.
Fred