Academy USMC PV-1 Ventura gunships in the Korean War.

Started by CSMO, November 24, 2013, 06:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

I have never seen PV-1s in Glossy Sea Blue paint, much less with post-1947 U.S. insignia. PV-2 Harpoons, yes and Venturas, no.

I built this one back in '97 or '98, before I had a computer to do research with. having done  real-world PV-1s in Blue-gray over Light Gray and the Three-tone scheme, I wanted something different.

This one is a bona-fide "What-if?" build. When the North Koreans invaded South Korea in 1950 The UN and the U.S. scrambled to get anything into the theater of operations ASAP. The Air Force had good luck with A-26s & F-82s doing night interdiction raids. The Marines wanted into the actions. They had about 20 WW2 surplus PV-1s in dry storage at MCAS Yuma in the desert. They refurbished them and formed a squadron with recalled veterans of WW2 to fill it. They were shipped to Japan, where they flew these aircraft across the Sea of Japan for missions into the parts of Korea occupied by the North Koreans and later the Chinese Communists. They did super service , flying until they became unsupportable for maintenance and spare parts.

The model is the gunship kit, built OOB. It represents a machine fresh from depot overhaul prior to shipment to Japan. The paint is hand-brushed Humbrol Glossy Sea BlueANA623. The decals were scavenged from several Microscale sheets. I have built four Academy Venturas. This one is my favorite.

Adios, Larry. :mellow:

"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Captain Canada

Great job Larry. She looks awesome in that colour and with those markings. I have a couple in the stash that need some attention myself. I don't think I've ever built one, but certainly fell in love with the aeroplane when I saw that blue Navy gunship doing the airshow circuit in NA a decade or so ago....quite the mover !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

The Big Gimper

I have several PV-1s in the stash. Never considered a GSB finish. Until now. Awesome build.   :thumbsup:
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

comrade harps

Whatever.

PR19_Kit

I'm amazed that Venturas were never painted in GSB, it seems so 'normal'. Looks great.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

That's nice :thumbsup: GSB and post war Stars n bars always looks good.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

CANSO

Quote from: CSMO on November 24, 2013, 06:43:38 PM
I have never seen PV-1s in Glossy Sea Blue paint, much less with post-1947 U.S. insignia. PV-2 Harpoons, yes and Venturas, no.
There is a photo of a Pacific GSB Ventura still with the WWII markings in the old "In Action" book from 1981:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.