Bang Seat Test Rig

Started by tc2324, November 25, 2013, 08:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

Earlier this year I built a 1/48 scale EE Lightning T.5 with a conversion kit from Czech Master IIRC(?)

Anyways, this left me with the single seat cockpit front end wasting away in the spares box. So..., what to do?

Well..., I`m going to have a crack at doing this.....,

So....,

Dummy pilot is now looking a bit more pilot`ish but still plenty to be done on him later......

Completed painting one bit of track, still need to get it weathered but you get the idea.

Started scratchbuilding one of the dollies(?), pretty sure the middle section is the fuselage floor from an Osprey(???). Anyway, it works and thats the main thing.

And the last picture is a mock up of the cockpit section on the track....

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

TallEng

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Captain Canada

That is a good idea ! Great way to turn a leftover part into an interesting subject !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

CSMO

How are you going to power the cart. JATO Boosters? Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

lancer

Oh this is goinfg to look the dogs danglies when it's finished.....
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

tc2324

Thanks all.  :cheers:  I never like to see a decent cockpit go to waste...  ;D

Quote from: CSMO on November 25, 2013, 09:30:08 AM
How are you going to power the cart. JATO Boosters? Adios, Larry.

Got both tracks painted, still need to weather them though. Second dolly/sledge base is done, just need to build it up with the JATO rockets and I added some frame work to the first sledge to hold the cockpit in place.

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

How are you going to stop it?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 25, 2013, 04:38:48 PM

A sensible  thought!  Drag chains? Sand trap? Mighty hydraulics?  A huge eiderdown?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

tc2324

One Wile E. Coyote Acme type anchor has been ordered......  :lol:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Quote from: Rheged on November 26, 2013, 01:27:30 AM

A sensible  thought!  Drag chains? Sand trap? Mighty hydraulics?  A huge eiderdown?

Probably a drag chute pack fitted at the rear I would imagine. Although I do like the eiderdown idea....  :lol:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Was scratching my head this morning as after looking in the spares box, I seemed to have little that resembled JATO type rockets for the sledge.

Then I noticed I had quite a few of these SNEB packs......

.....  which if placed like this......

..... kinda look sort of right.

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

In the real world they use water hydraulics.

The sled has a couple of long tapered probes, one on each side, and when they reach the end the probes puncture some long cylindrical water tanks with membranes on the ends. The probes displace the water all over everywhere and the whole shebang comes to a halt. The only problem with modelling that is that the tanks are about 3-4 times as long as your sledge!

They can change the shape of the probes to increase or decrease the G level of the deceleration, but it's pretty darn spectacular whatever level they go for.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Unusual whiff, windswept and interesting, like it! :ph34r:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Oh this is out of the box thinking  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.