Bang Seat Test Rig

Started by tc2324, November 25, 2013, 08:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

A very neat and imaginative build ---  :bow:

On rocket test sleds like this, I've seen pictures of them which had a 'hooked' bracket bolted to the bearing mounts which hooked under the rail lip to stop the sled 'taking-off', would that be appropriate here ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Wow great idea ,great build .

tc2324

First and foremost I`d like to say a big thanks to you all for your comments on this.  :cheers:

Admittedly I was only doing this as a little side project as I had the spare cockpit section left over and I hate waste. :lol:

Never really gave much thought about the track condition if I`m honest. As it was just a bit of beat up old plastic track I was only ever going to do a quick paint job on it and leave it as that. All I would add on that matter after giving it some thought is that this test subject would have been in the late 50`s, early 60`s, so I have no idea what kind of track may of been used.

Anyway`s, I`m starting work on the dummy figure, seat and drogue chute soon and I`ll update then. :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

NARSES2

Tell you what. I'd be ejecting if I was being chased by that honking great engine  :rolleyes:

Really good, imaginative build mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Magnets.

Magnets hold you on the track at high speeds, magnets slow you down at the end of the test.

Magnets.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Nick

Surely that nose intake will act as an airbrake without a pair of engines to blow into?

tc2324

Quote from: Nick on December 02, 2013, 01:23:15 PM
Surely that nose intake will act as an airbrake without a pair of engines to blow into?

Not that you can see it, but I`ve left the front u/c doors off and theres a hole in the back bulkhead for the air to escape/pass through.  :thumbsup:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

So started putting the finishing touches to the `action` side of the model.

First I got the drogue chute made and fitted.....

.... and then got the framework in place. I`m hoping that when I`ve mastered the cotton wool smoke effect the wire will be hidden from view as best it can.

Anyway, here`s where I`m at.

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

Wow ! Is it ever coming together now ! Great stuff. Love the lifelike look of the pilot in 'flight'.

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

Question Captain.

Is the pilot figure real or a dummy?
I ask this as the bang seat in the Lightning had a pull down face screen as the firing handle, in which case the arms should be tight into the body with the screen pulled down over the face.
If the figure is intended to be a dummy then please disregard the previous comments.

Final comment, as I write this the house has just been buzzed by two RAF Tucanno's departing Prestwick!

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

tc2324

Quote from: JayBee on December 03, 2013, 06:14:06 AM
Question Captain.

Is the pilot figure real or a dummy?

Jim

Final line of post 32 will supply the answer.....  ;) :thumbsup:

Tiger, Tiger!

JayBee

..and now that I look at it the second picture in post 1 says it is a dummy. DOH!

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

zenrat

Quote from: tc2324 on December 02, 2013, 05:58:14 AM
...Never really gave much thought about the track condition if I`m honest. As it was just a bit of beat up old plastic track I was only ever going to do a quick paint job on it and leave it as that. All I would add on that matter after giving it some thought is that this test subject would have been in the late 50`s, early 60`s, so I have no idea what kind of track may of been used...

119lb/yd Bullhead in 60' lengths fishplated with spikes to wooden sleepers.
Probably. ;D
To be honest it's a long time since I worked there and I never was a dedicated gricer or track grinder so that's just a memory dump which may well be wrong.

Wouldn't it be likely that the track would have been checked for debris etc by personnel walking down it?  Like doing a FOD sweep on a carrier deck.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tc2324

So after quite a few attempts at getting the `smoke` effect, here`s my final effort......,

After sticking some cotton wool to the wire frame, I applied `puffs` of it bit by bit and used hair spray to bond it together. Once I had the shape, I then gave the whole thing a light spray of Tamiya Haze Grey and then followed this up with a good dose of Spray Mount to give it some strength.

Obviously not perfect, but as I`ve found out, this is actually quite a hard effect to get 100%.

Tiger, Tiger!

NARSES2

Quote from: tc2324 on December 04, 2013, 05:37:34 AM
Obviously not perfect, but as I`ve found out, this is actually quite a hard effect to get 100%.

An exceptionally difficult thing to do, but you done very well with it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.