FROG Airspeed Sea Oxford Mk.I, Royal Navy FAA, 1945.

Started by CSMO, November 25, 2013, 01:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

I started this one intending to be a Biggles or Tin Tin aircraft, but after I had it ready for paint I thought about FAA colors. I didn't have any models of British trainers in WW2 operational camouflage, but I do now. The only backstory I can think of is that it is a Royal Navy communications hack based in northern Scotland, The Western Isles, & the Outer Hebrides.

I puttied up the gear openings, added an extra FROG seat and a map table, and a ventral stabilizing fin. The floats came from a scrapped Hasegawa Aichi E16 Jake scoutplane. A check of the appropriate Putnam's books showed the aircraft weights to be pretty close. The struts are 40 year-old Contrail strut stock.

The paint is hand-brushed Xtracolor Dark Sea Grey, Slate Gray, and Sky. The decals are scrounged from my scrap-box.

I like it very much.  Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Captain Canada

I like it very much as well ! Looks right at home in those colours and with boots. We don't see enough Oxford's around here. In fact, that might be the first !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

That's BRILLIANT!  :thumbsup: :bow:

As the Cap'n says you could have the first Oxford on here.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

deathjester

Excellent !!  Those additions really suit the Oxford, well done!!

NARSES2

Looks good and I can see that serving in Canada post war taking sportsman up north for hunting and fishing
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ericr