Spitfire wheel bays and undercarriage doors - a colour question

Started by NARSES2, November 26, 2013, 07:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Does anyone know (Wookster ?) what the colour of Spitfire wheel bays and the inside of undercarriage doors would likely have been at any period of the war ?

Interior green ? the main underside colour ? Other ? I've always gone with interior green but I'm now not sure (if I ever was) and just fancied knowing. Different manufacturers/kits give different instructions, if any are given.

Cheers in advance.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Almost every one I've ever seen in recent years has been in interior green Chris. That even goes for PL965, the PRXI that was at the time being painted bright PINK before it went to the US for a period.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

andrewj

The percieved wisdom is that wheelbays are the same colour as the undersides of the aircraft , except for the Mk20 series aircraft with fully enclosed bays , these were Aircraft Grey Green or Silver. Inside of undercarriage doors were Aircraft Grey Green or Medium Sea Grey, Oleo legs MSG or Silver/Aluminium.

Andrew

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

I've always went interior green....but I guess I too was wrong ! Good to know...I guess !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 26, 2013, 07:48:28 PM
I've always went interior green....but I guess I too was wrong ! Good to know...I guess !

Hard and fast rules are not always followed. What I said about the colour is what I've seen with my own eyes.

Now they have been BUILT with the bays the same as the underside colour, but many of them aren't that way now, and maybe didn't last long like that in service either.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Maybe the maintainers/restorers get their colour information from kit instructions...
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Cheers gents. I now know what I'll be doing in future, makes life easier as well  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit